• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    For around $300 you probably can’t beat a fixed 10 or 12 power from SWFA.

Edit: I would not waste the $ on a variable scope in that price range if it is having to survive 308 recoil.

308 recoil on a semi auto? Do you have a marshmallow shoulder? Even my 308 bolt gun isn't that bad...

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What distances are you shooting? A 1-8 might be good enough. Check out the Primary Arms offerings. I would skip the SWFA fixed power scopes if you want any flexibility in your ranges. I had one and got rid of it. if you only shoot 100yds then yeah maybe it'll work for you but if you want to go from 50-300 i would get a variable scope. 3-9X 1-6X 4-12X something in that range. you can always adjust your recoil spring with a Tubbs or Sprinco spring to reduce recoil.

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    Ended up going with a NIKON P-308 4x16x42 Matte BDC 800 Purchased from EarnestT who posted above. Seemed like a solid deal based on MSRP. Bought it from him yesterday and went down the street to Hanover armory to have it mounted.

Solid price, smooth transaction, and on time. Highly recommend doing business with EarnestT while he is still in md.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    What distances are you shooting? A 1-8 might be good enough. Check out the Primary Arms offerings. I would skip the SWFA fixed power scopes if you want any flexibility in your ranges. I had one and got rid of it. if you only shoot 100yds then yeah maybe it'll work for you but if you want to go from 50-300 i would get a variable scope. 3-9X 1-6X 4-12X something in that range. you can always adjust your recoil spring with a Tubbs or Sprinco spring to reduce recoil.

I used an SWFA 12X SS on a 308 AR just yesterday and was easily hitting from 100 to 1000 yards and literally everything in between at 100 yard increments using regular old Lake City ammo. What flexibility is it you need for a 308 that is not covered there? I'm sure I would have been keyholing had I bothered with 50yds.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I used an SWFA 12X SS on a 308 AR just yesterday and was easily hitting from 100 to 1000 yards and literally everything in between at 100 yard increments using regular old Lake City ammo. What flexibility is it you need for a 308 that is not covered there? I'm sure I would have been keyholing had I bothered with 50yds.

OK...if you're keyholing at 50yds and can hit anything past 100 yds kudos to you. At 200 yds with my 10X ss there was so much mirage I could barely see the target. Glad you are awesome and can hit something at 1000yds with a semi auto using LC factory ammo. you da man.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    Ended up going with a NIKON P-308 4x16x42 Matte BDC 800 Purchased from EarnestT who posted above. Seemed like a solid deal based on MSRP. Bought it from him yesterday and went down the street to Hanover armory to have it mounted.

Solid price, smooth transaction, and on time. Highly recommend doing business with EarnestT while he is still in md.

Thanks

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    If anyone cares here is a pic. Think I need a bipod.

Attachments

• 20210114_135445.jpg
      20210114_135445.jpg
      117.6 KB · Views: 125

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    OK...if you're keyholing at 50yds and can hit anything past 100 yds kudos to you. At 200 yds with my 10X ss there was so much mirage I could barely see the target. Glad you are awesome and can hit something at 1000yds with a semi auto using LC factory ammo. you da man.

34” gong at 1K was not a problem. Maybe you should learn how to use the scope or get your eyes checked. How could you not see a target at 200yds? What were you shooting at, a silver dollar? Or did you mount your scope backwards?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    34” gong at 1K was not a problem. Maybe you should learn how to use the scope or get your eyes checked. How could you not see a target at 200yds? What were you shooting at, a silver dollar? Or did you mount your scope backwards?

A 1" bull with mirage is hard to see "clearly" at 200yds. I got a nicer scope and that solved the issue. Be quiet marshmallow shoulder.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Funny. I watched a friend make hits at 1000 yards with a SWFA 10x fixed on a .308.

So how does a 3-9x beat a 10x???????

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Mirage is based on conditions, not the scope.

Different day, different mirage conditions.

But yes, more power makes mirage more noticeable. That is why you don't see fixed power 24x scopes.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Funny. I watched a friend make hits at 1000 yards with a SWFA 10x fixed on a .308.

So how does a 3-9x beat a 10x???????

Ummm because it's variable.... You really think 1X more makes a scope better????? I had a SS 10X, I thought it was a POS and sold it. I like the Vortex PST Gen 2 which is a 5-25X. It has clear glass and a lot more functionality. What ever floats your boat. Guys can hit 34" plates with irons so what?

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Ummm because it's variable.... You really think 1X more makes a scope better????? I had a SS 10X, I thought it was a POS and sold it. I like the Vortex PST Gen 2 which is a 5-25X. It has clear glass and a lot more functionality. What ever floats your boat. Guys can hit 34" plates with irons so what?

Guy said he wants to spend as little as $150 to $300 and so I offered him the likely the best option in that price range. You compare it to a $1K scope that you like better. No sh!t Ace.

As for your childish game where you keep bringing up something that I never said, I'm 6'4" and 260lbs so you should probably stop being concerned about how much recoil I can handle. Your internet tough guy act just makes you look like a fool.

Sirex