• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Since the 1st year of straight wall cartridge deer season is over, for those of you that had real world experience with either the 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster or maybe another straight wall caliber. What are your thoughts on how it preformed? What caliber did you use, shot distance and bullet type?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Since the 1st year of straight wall cartridge deer season is over, for those of you that had real world experience with either the 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster or maybe another straight wall caliber. What are your thoughts on how it preformed? What caliber did you use, shot distance and bullet type?

I have been shooting a 45/70 for many, many years. I have taken down Moose, Bear, mule deer and white tails. Longest open site shot as I do not use scopes, was about 200 to 250 yards.

When hunting white tail I use a 350 grain bullet drop depending on load and for a 100 yards is about .75 to 1.5 inches. Some of my buds with scopes have shot 600 yards. The 45/70 also can be shot out of a pistol up to 500 grains too.

The 45/70 rounds are more ready available that the 350 Legend and the 450 Bushmaster which are both good rounds for hunting. It is like choosing a car all personal preference.

Take a look at each rounds ballistics and make the decision based on your needs.

I purchased and used an AR Stoner 350 legend upper on one of my AR lowers. 180 grain soft point from Winchester. I shot a doe at about 80 yd and it ran about 20 before expiring. For comparison I also used my Savage 220 which shoots the 260 grain accutip. I shot a buck and it dropped in its tracks. Both shots were double long penetration. I personally don't really see any advantage of using the 350 legend over the 20 gauge accutip. The 350 might have a bit more range but The Savage can dispatch a whitetail at 200 yards so you're not gaining a whole lot more by using the straight wall rifle cartridge.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I purchased a 350 legend for use this year. Shooting Winchester deer season xp 150 grain. I took one shot on a buck at about 60-65 yards. Dropped in its tracks.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    I like the 350 on an AR platform. Provides an advantage when multiple deer are present. I shot a few deer with my 16inch barrel 350 legend upper. Had a double lung run 80 yards but others ran under 40. The ballistics for the 350 do not improve dramatically with a longer barrel. Having a compact, relatively light rifle to carry is a plus.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I took my marlin 444 into the deer woods this year but didn’t take any shots. I have shot a few deer in the mountains with it some years back and it performed well with factory rem 240gr core locks I think they where.

This year I loaded 240 and 300gr XTPs in front of a stout charge of H4198. The 240s did not fly as well as I would of liked them to and to be honest I was a bit worried about using them on deer. I was pushing them way past the velocity they where designed for. The 300s however where tack drivers and a much better rifle bullet all things considered. I’m comfortable with 150 yards being my max range.

I’m happy they are allowing strait walls now. A 357 or 44mag rifle with the right loads is a much better option for younger or female hunters than a brutal slug gun.

wb3jma

Nov 15, 2020
    Belcamp, MD Harford County
    I purchased and used an AR Stoner 350 legend upper on one of my AR lowers. 180 grain soft point from Winchester. I shot a doe at about 80 yd and it ran about 20 before expiring. For comparison I also used my Savage 220 which shoots the 260 grain accutip. I shot a buck and it dropped in its tracks. Both shots were double long penetration. I personally don't really see any advantage of using the 350 legend over the 20 gauge accutip. The 350 might have a bit more range but The Savage can dispatch a whitetail at 200 yards so you're not gaining a whole lot more by using the straight wall rifle cartridge.

I purchased a 350 legend for use this year. Shooting Winchester deer season xp 150 grain. I took one shot on a buck at about 60-65 yards. Dropped in its tracks.

Shot placement?

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I have been shooting a 45/70 for many, many years. I have taken down Moose, Bear, mule deer and white tails. Longest open site shot as I do not use scopes, was about 200 to 250 yards.

When hunting white tail I use a 350 grain bullet drop depending on load and for a 100 yards is about .75 to 1.5 inches. Some of my buds with scopes have shot 600 yards. The 45/70 also can be shot out of a pistol up to 500 grains too.

The 45/70 rounds are more ready available that the 350 Legend and the 450 Bushmaster which are both good rounds for hunting. It is like choosing a car all personal preference.

Take a look at each rounds ballistics and make the decision based on your needs.

45/70 Horandy Lever Evolution 325gr ftx works nicely.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Yes they are great round hand loaded 325 ftx many times.

Are you using these in a lever gun? I was wondering if you had to trim your brass to get them under the max length that will feed in a repeater.

I would like to give them a try in my 444 next year but the brass needs to be trimmed down to account for the longer pointed bullet. I have heard conflicting reports that the don’t do well in micro groove barrels so I’m hesitant to go chopping my precious brass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom