• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Chargemaster is known to drift over time. Especially if you do not let it "warm up" for an hour or two. I use check weights, but pop them on the scale every 10 - 20 rounds for my precision rifle rounds.

Also, keep any fluorescent lights away from digital scales.

For working up loads, you don't adjust your power measure for each. You set it to throw slightly low, then use a powder trickler to bring it up to the desired load. That is what the Chargemaster does. Goes fast to get close, then slows down to creep up to the desired load.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Fun fact, say you weigh 50 grains of powder on earth. Fly to the moon. That charge will still read 50 grains on that beam scale. This side = that side. How's that for consistancy

Technically not true. Grains are a unit of weight (e.g a force) not mass. Weight is affected by gravitational pull, mass is not. As to whether the scale will 'balance' this may be true, but 'weighing' the same on the moon is not true. Their mass will be the same but their weight will be different as the moon has lower gravitational pull. Splitting hairs but my professors in college got uptight over this distinction.

Weight = The force on a mass due to gravity
    F = M x a

I think the slug may be the unit of mass equal to a pound weight in the English system, though it's been a LONG time since college.

Last edited:

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I tried to choose my words carefully because of this principle. I must have done ok because your reply has modifiers like "technically" and "may". Although I can admit my statement has flaws.

Let me say it this way, I strongly believe that if you put the scale to "50" on earth and balanced with varget, and put the same unit to "50" on the moon and balanced with varget, then went to a match on earth with those two loaded rounds , both would be safe to shoot and give nearly the same velocity.

gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. Definitely keeping the beam based on the consensus and will utilize it alongside the digital. The check weight advice also seems like a very good idea to be confident in the calibration. I will be looking into those.

Pinecone- Your explanation of working up loads with a trickler makes a lot of sense. Maybe I should have asked for that information first but that’s ok. I think I would have upgraded eventually anyway.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I tried to choose my words carefully because of this principle. I must have done ok because your reply has modifiers like "technically" and "may". Although I can admit my statement has flaws.

Let me say it this way, I strongly believe that if you put the scale to "50" on earth and balanced with varget, and put the same unit to "50" on the moon and balanced with varget, then went to a match on earth with those two loaded rounds , both would be safe to shoot and give nearly the same velocity.
    Your point being, 'balanced is balanced'. :thumbsup:

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Notice I didn't say anything about comparing a balance to a scale...

LOL

:innocent0

All in fun and splitting hairs. Who doesn't have a split hair once in awhile...;)

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    When the grid goes down,
    and all the fuel stations are off line and out of fuel for the back up generator,

I can grab a flashlight and my beam scale and load some rounds while my son is pulling security. Just saying.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I kept my Lyman beam scale after I got an RCBS electronic/digital setup.
    I still use it to check the RCBS every time I set it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom