Primitive Weapons Season.. who's bringing what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I will be using a Lyman Deerstalker Carbine . I shot my first deer with it 30 years ago.. took it to the range the other day first time shooting it since 1992. 5 round group at 50 yards right at 2 inches using sabots and Hornady 250 grn 452 XTPs.

Im ready..

So whats everyone else using?

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    I will be assisting a non-hunter take his first deer - with a plain old recurve he used to shoot competitively a couple decades ago! Not my cup of tea but I'm more than happy to help with everything but the shooting!

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Recurve. If I make it out and if the weather is good. I generally don't get much deer activity late season during shooting hours on my property unless there is snow on the ground.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    57# Ben Pearson Longbow with cedars topped with Bodkin heads--plan to wear red plaid Woolrich jacket a guy gave me when his dad died several years ago. I generally hunt with it a few times every year anyway--sold my higher poundage trad bows several years ago. I bought this bow used from a coworker at least 30 odd years ago, it had belonged to his father and probably made in early '80s

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Traditions Kentucky Rifle in .50 cal. I got it at a yard sale a few years ago and took a deer with it that season. My primary muzzleloader is a Hawken .50 cal, which would also be totally cool to use but alas it has a scope on it (I know, let me hear the hate, but I bought it like that on purpose). So yard sale gun it is! I'm going to determine my loading at the range this weekend and check my trail cams. I've never tried to hunt deer so late in the season. I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of their daily patterns.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Question: Primitive Weapons season, is a black powder percussion rifle legal, or does it need to be a flintlock? I have a .50 cal not shot in a decade, that needs some air time!

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Question: Primitive Weapons season, is a black powder percussion rifle legal, or does it need to be a flintlock? I have a .50 cal not shot in a decade, that needs some air time!
    Can't be an inline and no optics---coonskin caps are optional as long as they are blaze orange.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Ill be using a custom fitted T/c New Englander from way long back. Seems funny now that I think about it.
    It was my go to for a few years before they allowed telescope rifles.
    It consumes 80 gr Pyrodex and 255g Dixie cast maxi balls with a pinch of wasp nest for a wad.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You recurve guys, what is your setup and what distance you feel comfortable with?
    I'm just curious how far you can shoot "au natural" without bow sights

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    You recurve guys, what is your setup and what distance you feel comfortable with?

When I was a kid and shot 3d with a recurve some target butts were 100 yds. Skilled adult archers could do a lot farther by again half and get good groups. I lost a bunch of arrows and broke my fair share.
    My best bow was a Stemmler 45# recurve. I also had a 50# Pearson. All I have left is a 55 # PSE takedown and very rarely shoot anymore so I guess I'm not really a recurve guy anymore.
    When I hunted deer and rabbits I could do 25-30 yd shots no problem. Same for geese and ducks that we used to stalk near the river or in a branch.
    I would shoot four dozen arrows a day nearly every day of the week and frequently be absent from school hunting.
    When I taught my kids how to archery hunt which they did first on their own unsupervised I insisted that with modern equipment they keep it to 25-30 yards.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    CVA sidelock that I’ve killed more deer with in the past 25 years than I have with my shotgun. Considering I haven’t bow hunted in 16 years or so, It’s probably taken more deer than anything else I own.

Definitely going out. Only question now is where

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay

I shoot instinctive and still can shoot 15 to 20 yards with out practice right of of the box. I just did it so much through my life. Now, when I was 12 - 18 I could kill a rabbit at 30 - 35 yards with the 45# bear black bear, but I shot A LOT then. I won't hunt this late in the season except to kill squirrels or rabbits.

I an finished with deer and I got that work thing Monday - Wednesday and Monday is my 29th anniversary. I amuse I'll be required to be around. ;)

how about chucking rocks with a sling?
    Add Atlatl's and we'll call it a challenge and I'm in

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Some sniffing around after dark, even chasing late does yet.
    Every day is another coupleofa clicks of light!

SxS bucks 2021.jpg

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    T/C White Mountain Carbine in 50 cal. Killed quite a few deer with it but have not shot it in many years. Should be snow on the ground so should be fun. Not crazy about shooting doe’s this time of year and bucks are probably few and far between.

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Anybody get one?
    No trigger pull here yet but seeing deer every night so far.
    Nice buck sniffing around but tad too far and too less daylight for opens.:sad20: Cleared off a little this afternoon so may have a few more clicks of light.
    Grabbing old Betsy and heading over now for the evening sit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom