• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    On March 13, 2008, ACS hosted a press briefing on the Supreme Court case, District of Columbia v. Heller, which concerns the constitutionality of the District of Columbia’s ban on the private possession of handguns.
    http://www.acslaw.org/node/6397

Anyone catch this on C-Span? You can still view the panel at the American Constitution Society website. A reporter from Slate magazine moderated the panel. The panel was comprised of Dave Kopel (one of the good guys), Carl Bogus (a stereotypical anti rights academic pinhead), and John Payton of the NAACP.

Along with the usual and predictable tired and dispelled myths, the antis ignored history and claimed that the Second Amendment was implemented solely to put down slave revolts. Huh? That’s a new one on me. Kopel did a great job illustrating the benefits of armed citizens in preventing crime. For example, Kopel mentioned the fact that hot burglaries were the norm in England and other countries where the citizenry have been disarmed, as opposed to the US where they are rare. However, Kopel missed a golden opportunity to refute the mythology perpetuated by the anti rights leftists from the historical perspective. For example, the antis were emphatic that the 2A was not intended to be a last resort to be used to overthrowing a government that had become tyrannical. Kopel could have use this as one of many to refute this:

"God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, & always, well informed... what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure." Thomas Jefferson to William S. Smith on. The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, ed. Julian P. Boyd, vol. 12, p. 356 (1955). http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/P/tj3/writings/brf/jefl64.htm
    http://www.ccrkba.org/pub/rkba/general/FoundersQuotes.htm

The irony the last name (Bogus) of that anti right professor was not lost on me, for his arguments were truly bogus. Anyway, check out the panel, and draw your own conclusions
    http://www.acslaw.org/node/6397

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I had to turn it off after about 15 minutes because my head was going to explode. Not gonna preach to the choir here but damn it sucks to know you are right and to hear someone blathering on and on about something that is 100% wrong and they just don't see it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    wow, bogus reminds me of bill lumberg

"the gun lobby, particularly the nra, but other gun white groups.....guns rights groups..."-bogus

what a douche

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    wow, bogus reminds me of bill lumberg

"the gun lobby, particularly the nra, but other gun white groups.....guns rights groups..."-bogus

what a douche

My wife picked up on another bogus (pun very much intended) statement before I did. He (Bogus) had the audacity to claim that the 2A was not intended to be used as a last resort to overthrow your own government. He then made the claim that the founders "after all, were not overthrowing their own government, but they were fighting a foreign government". What? This guy was obviously smoking something, and someone in that room needed to knock the crack pipe out of his mouth!

sks noob

Jan 3, 2008
    Glenn Dale MD
    My wife picked up on another bogus (pun very much intended) statement before I did. He (Bogus) had the audacity to claim that the 2A was not intended to be used as a last resort to overthrow your own government. He then made the claim that the founders "after all, were not overthrowing their own government, but they were fighting a foreign government". What? This guy was obviously smoking something, and someone in that room needed to knock the crack pipe out of his mouth!

I watched the first 15 and it seems that he pretty much built his own context and then tried to present it as truth while completely ignoring the "right of the people to keep and bear arms" part and ignoring the federalist papers and also ignoring the overall purpose of the bill of rights which spells out the rights of the of the people, not states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom