• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0128shot

Jul 7, 2011
    Poolesville,MD
    Hey, I was wanting to buy my first AR-15 but need some help. I need one with an HBAR barrel(because im 19) and would prefer it to have a mid-length handguard. My price range is around $1000. Any help would be appreciated.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    First, where are you located and second, check out the Industry partner section of the forum. There are dealers in pretty much every area of the state in that list. At least one should be able to help.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I hate to be that guy, but I'd advise you to do a thread search on "HBAR." We've got reams of discussion about what is and isn't an HBAR and who sells them.

What other features are you looking for besides mid-length handguard? Do you have a preference for any brands in particular? What is this rifle going to do?

Rock River has some HBAR guns that are pretty nice and within your price range (I bought mine at 19). There's some alternatives. I've heard good and bad about DPMS, Armalite, and Stag, but I'm not nearly as familiar with these as I am with RRA.

Blue Falcon

Oct 21, 2010
    Ceciltucky
    Hey, I was wanting to buy my first AR-15 but need some help. I need one with an HBAR barrel(because im 19) and would prefer it to have a mid-length handguard. My price range is around $1000. Any help would be appreciated.

Stop buy Gun Connection(one of the industry partners) they will take of you and your purchase.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Not a first choice in home defense (HD). Wall penetration is too easy with 5.56 and that projectile is going to visit your neighbors. Live in the middle of 30 acres...different story. (The use of 30 acres was a wild guess, but you get my drift).

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    223 / 556 is actually one of the better choices for home defense. It's a small bullet at high velocity that becomes very unstable when it hits something, including sheetrock. Many tests have been documented and show that a 9mm hp filled with drywall acts like an fmj and penetrates much more than a 223 fmj. Google-fu it, Tom Gresham recommends it too.

I don't have one yet but I'm doing some preliminary pricing to build one and it's on the very short list.

Pics when you get it!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    223 / 556 is actually one of the better choices for home defense. It's a small bullet at high velocity that becomes very unstable when it hits something, including sheetrock. Many tests have been documented and show that a 9mm hp filled with drywall acts like an fmj and penetrates much more than a 223 fmj. Google-fu it, Tom Gresham recommends it too.

I don't have one yet but I'm doing some preliminary pricing to build one and it's on the very short list.

Pics when you get it!

Ok, then keep ear plugs in 24/7 just so you're ready. :lol2:

I'm not the first guy to forget to put my muffs on after a cease fire. It was on a .40cal pistol outside and it was L-O-U-D. I keep muffs on the night stand just in case. With an AR and no ear protection...ouch.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Ok, then keep ear plugs in 24/7 just so you're ready. :lol2:

Surefire earpro! haha

I've done that outside with my 45 too. It sucks. One more reason why we hope to never have to use a gun for self defense...

Good argument for a Surpresspor.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    The guns aren't that loud..... I spent years with only one plug (right side, im right handed) in..... and according to the VA I have suffered less than 10% total hearing loss :D Stop being babies and use foamies :D (not REALLY picking, just being a smart A#$)

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    If you're in Monkey County check out Engage, They are an industry partner and great group of people to work with. They should be able to help you out too.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    What? Speak up fella's i cant hear you. Yeah ive left out my ear pro before. Ive also tried pulling them out just to see what it sounded like. Its freaking loud. However in a hd situation, i think your hearing is the last thing on your mind but its still gonna suck, especially with a rifle round.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    If you are going to use an AR for HD purposes,, Dont go cheap on the ammo.

I suggest varmint grenades or any good expanding hollow points. This way, you limit over penetration.

Stay away from FMJ, Wolf or penetrator rounds. SBRs also tend to lose velocity. In a 5.56HD gun. Speed equals fragmentation.. that equates to stopping power and reduced penetration.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I knocked my hearing protection out once while going prone during a 3-gun stage. I didn't slow down and put down about 20 rounds. My ears were ringing for about week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom