Gas Piston vs Direct Impingement for the AR-15: Pros & Cons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Has anyone had any experience with, or could anyone offer an opinion on the gas piston (newer technology) versus direct impingement (older technology) recycling systems for the AR-15?

http://ar15tactical.net/pistons.htm

What are the pros and cons of each?

Does Bushmaster offer this as an option on new rifles? Their website was inconclusive.

When did the gas piston system come out? I had never heard of it until a few days ago.

I would appreciate any information on this. Thanks.

narcolepticsniper

That one guy
    Jul 4, 2009
    Indiana
    Has anyone had any experience with, or could anyone offer an opinion on the gas piston (newer technology) versus direct impingement (older technology) recycling systems for the AR-15?

http://ar15tactical.net/pistons.htm

What are the pros and cons of each?

Does Bushmaster offer this as an option on new rifles? Their website was inconclusive.

When did the gas piston system come out? I had never heard of it until a few days ago.

I would appreciate any information on this. Thanks.

:popcorn:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

Attachments

• CHAD!!!!.png
      CHAD!!!!.png
      18.8 KB · Views: 645

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    this thread has been alive 30 minutes and Lord Chad as of yet has not felt the disturbance in the force????? wtf???

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    you've heard the old adage, 'don't crap where you eat.' well that is what direct impingement AR's do. however they are substantially tried and tested and have worked thru various wars, law enforcement, competitions and the like.

still, i don't think there are too many folks who enjoy cleaning the crap and crud out of their chambers and off their bolts.

piston AR's offer an alternative. generally the tradeoff is a more expensive gun and a little heavier, with some extra parts. and the technology, at least in the AR platform, is a lot newer, without decades of R&D. it's been said they're not quite as accurate but i don't pretend to know the physics behind that but would love to hear it explained.

seems most folks on here say stick with direct impingement, but if you do go piston, get a good one from a company that focuses on piston. i have lwrc m6a3 and it works extremely well for me.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    you're going to get alot of hate for this one...

ignore it though. do know, however, that pistol AR's are a solution looking for a problem. a properly setup DI gun will run as well as a properly setup piston...that being said avoid conversion kits, i would recommend buying a completed high end piston rifle, such as a LWRC.

it all comes down to what you want and what you can afford...the only thing a piston AR can do that a DI one cant is fire underwater...

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    this thread has been alive 30 minutes and Lord Chad as of yet has not felt the disturbance in the force????? wtf???

Probably tired from our discussion here:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=73216

There are tons of threads here discussing DI vs. gas piston. I went into more length in the thread I linked by the short of my opinion is:

Pistons are great in any platform but an AR. The AR was designed to be DI and anything else is just trying to occupy the same space with a different operating system.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    It always seemed like a solution in search of a problem, with one exception: suppressed. A DI 5.56mm will leave you with a little Hitler mustache made by the escaping gases leaking past the charging handle; a piston gun won't.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    it's been said they're not quite as accurate but i don't pretend to know the physics behind that but would love to hear it explained.

The DI gas system separates the bolt from the barrel almost entirely so the barrel is more or less "free floated" from the rest of the action. Gas pistons have to attach to the bolt and then run through a gas piston tube on top of the barrel. This causes some harmonic interference with the barrel during firing.

Is it going to catastrophically change the accuracy? Not at all. Will it be as inherently accurate (assuming everything else is the same) as a DI counterpart? Probably not.

Loss of accuracy is really a minimal issue as far as issues go. The bigger issue is: WHY? Why invest in a platform designed around a totally different system that now has some sort of retrofit? Why not invest in a rifle built from the ground-up around a gas piston?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Buy an AK or SCAR of you want a piston gun. That's all I'm gonna say here. Oh and there is tons of good info if you search.

MCTRV

Mar 2, 2011
    Google the interview that John Noveske gave a few years back about DI - AR15s. He knows his shit about this stuff & his products are the best around.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    They sure look cool and mean as hell. But I've never fired one so I can't say how they shoot. Alot of guys on here have experience with them. I think honda53s has one? Can't remember. I know clandestine has worked on them. From what I hear people are starting to lose interest in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom