• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 6, 2012
    Hey all, I'm trying to get a bolt action .22. Semi autos are a lot of fun, but I just love bolt action.

I only have two requirements: that it be incredibly rugged and that it be bolt action.

I'm pushing reliability here more than I am accuracy. I want it to be able to work in very cold weather (we're talking -30), I know ice can be a problem sometimes for bolt actions.

Any suggestions?

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hey all, I'm trying to get a bolt action .22. Semi autos are a lot of fun, but I just love bolt action.

I only have two requirements: that it be incredibly rugged and that it be bolt action.

I'm pushing reliability here more than I am accuracy. I want it to be able to work in very cold weather (we're talking -30), I know ice can be a problem sometimes for bolt actions.

Any suggestions?

I have several CZ 22 and 17hmr they are awesome but if you want rugged buy a 77/22. I have seen them hunting camps in Alaska and Canada. I guy I met had one as a meat gun in Africa.
    There is a guy selling one in the classifieds a 22 magnum.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Savage

If you can find one the Norinco JW15's are neat little guns, shoot well.

An alternative is the JW-25. Rare as hens teeth in the states but has the cool factor

url

Love mine, still hunting for the scope.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Buy whatever one suits your fancy, just take a page out of Int'l Accuracy's book - have the bolt slightly fluted so it can break thru any icing issues.

Last edited:
    Feb 6, 2012
    I have checked out savage, I even almost bought one in the past. I am looking at a decently priced Mark II F right now. Question is, how well does it hold up in cold weather?

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    As long as the firing pin chamber is clean and free of oil, the bolt gun should work fine in cold weather. Sometimes...match grade 22 chambers occasionally have failure to extract, such as in my Kimber Classic; which Kimber does not manufacture anymore. I use a small jewelers screwdriver to prick out the live round.

Sarco sells a 22 rimfire inner barrel sleeve and matching bolt, for a British SMLE 303 Enfield, but it still needs headspacing by a gunsmith.

prmorin

Mar 14, 2010
    I love my old mossberg 152A, one of the most reliable .22's I have ever used...paid $60 for it

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    May I suggest looking around for older .22 bolt actions
    Its tough to beat the construction of some of these old girls. They are readily available and reasonable in price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom