• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I wondered what a grip does in making a movie and it turns out it's pretty interesting. The grips are the guys who set up and operate the camera platforms and cranes. I'm thinking this would be an interesting job when I finish my 20-years and put in for retirement, so I tried looking up this job on Monster and other job boards. Absolutely 0 results. Does anyone know how people go about getting these types of jobs? Is it all based on personal connections like the rest of the film industry?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I'm a member in the IATSE local. It is kind of a who you know thing but when we get busy there are a lot of new hires.

You can join, come to meetings and get to know people. Eventually someone will give you a chance. We are not a seniority union, so if you work hard you can do well for yourself

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County

Attachments

• iatse_endorses_biden.jpg
      iatse_endorses_biden.jpg
      52.3 KB · Views: 596

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    I wondered what a grip does in making a movie and it turns out it's pretty interesting. The grips are the guys who set up and operate the camera platforms and cranes. I'm thinking this would be an interesting job when I finish my 20-years and put in for retirement, so I tried looking up this job on Monster and other job boards. Absolutely 0 results. Does anyone know how people go about getting these types of jobs? Is it all based on personal connections like the rest of the film industry?
    Nope. Watch Orgazmo.:D

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Clannish & you have to know somebody who knows somebody.
    Very unionized.
    I've been doing stills for many years & even then I needed to know someone on the inside to get work as crew.

Get your foot in the door, I started by doing "Continuity & Production stills" That was something I had experience with, all my own equipment & a book of "Tear Sheets" (published work, actually torn or cut from wherever it was published.)

Yous best bet IMO, is to try the tiny independent video production companies who do adverts for non prime time TV.

Make sure to get at least some video of everything you work on. Frequently if you're working with someone they'll do the edits for you to make a "Demo Roll". Demo rolls are almost a prerequisite for admission to the club.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Actually had a part as an extra in a movie called “Looping” shot in Berlin in 81 when I was stationed there. Starred Shelley Winters and we all got paid 50DM for the day. My part was to walk over her and look down and sneer. Shoulda got an Oscar!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I did stunt work (driving) in the original Jack Lord Hawaii 50 during 71-72 while in the USN stationed at Pearl Harbor. Closest I ever got to acting inspite of knowing a number personally. If you don't count being interviewed by ESPN during a 24 hour race. I used to know a guy in the Damascus, MD area who did low budget horror films. In my motorcycle road-racing days had a female racer buddy from this area who went on to do stunt work in Hollywood. She did a Burt Reynolds movie after her bike racing days.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I did stunt work (driving) in the original Jack Lord Hawaii 50 during 71-72 while in the USN stationed at Pearl Harbor. Closest I ever got to acting inspite of knowing a number personally. If you don't count being interviewed by ESPN during a 24 hour race. I used to know a guy in the Damascus, MD area who did low budget horror films. In my motorcycle road-racing days had a female racer buddy from this area who went on to do stunt work in Hollywood. She did a Burt Reynolds movie after her bike racing days.

that's just great.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I did grip work for a local film company that did commercials back in the mid-70s. They have since disbanded for many reasons. I was part of a three man crew and I did everything from pushing the camera on a dolly to setting up lights to being a go-fer for coffee and lunch. A friend knew I needed work and hooked me up. Nowadays I don’t know how you’d get into the business.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Me and a few of my buddies worked for TTF up on Manor Rd in Long Green. They rented lighting, cabling, camera dollies, track and just about anything used on location when making movies or commercials etc. A few friends stayed in the business. A few ended up in LA and Nashville as grips or gaffers. I got to work on some cool locations and went to some wild partys but never anything major though. The guys that stayed with it got to work on some feature films. They were out of town for long periods of time and worked crazy hours but made some serious $$$.

To answer you question you almost need to know someone in the business.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    And that business is on its heels at the moment, struggling to survive. Now is not the time to break in as a complete newbie.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Good work if you can get it. Between cameras getting lighter and CGI making its way further and further into the business, I doubt that there is going to be much growth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom