• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    If you’ve tried a couple of times, what about leaving a note? Out of curiosity, is it supposed to be all tribal land owned by the tribe? Or are some of the properties owned by tribal members (or non-tribal members) as personal real estate? Anyone in the tribal government you can ask?

It looks like the tribal members have been able to sell their land whenever they wanted to. Pretty stupid if you ask me. They could get a job and live on the land for free. I don't understand it. There are non-tribal land owners who are making money off the land they bought by charging people to hunt on it. Some of the land is pretty prime deer hunting land. The tribal members could've been doing the same thing.

I've watched some of the hunting shows where they hunted on the Mescalaro rez in New Mexico and the Mescalaro have nurtured the Elk hunting. The Sioux also do the same for Mule and whitetail deer in South Dakota.

I don't want to comment on the tribal government. LOL! :rolleyes:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I may take my Handi-cam with me next time to show how cool the deer area acting on my hunts. Not sure if I should post them until the seasons over though. I don't want everyone and their brother taking my spots away from me. It's bad enough already.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I may take my Handi-cam with me next time to show how cool the deer area acting on my hunts. Not sure if I should post them until the seasons over though. I don't want everyone and their brother taking my spots away from me. It's bad enough already.

Lol.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    There is more pressure starting build in my area. A truck was parked where the deer were feeding so the deer didn't try to go over to that field. I saw three does when I first got to the spot but they stayed about 400 yards away. A young racoon provided some entertainment in a couple of trees behind where I was sitting. He was eating something off the branches.

A friend told me that his son shot a deer with a muzzleloader Sunday when it was snowing and they had to leave it overnight. The next day they tried to recover it but found a spot where a mountain lion had taken the deer for himself. He said there were signs of a struggle and the cat left a big track. A big tom mountain lion is in the bluffs about five miles from where I live! LOL!

I knew they were on the Nebraska side but didn't know they were so close to me.

There was a spike buck that had been hit on the highway today. It was laying in a ditch. It was just starting to get another point off the tip of it's antlers.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Got a small doe yesterday from the backyard stand.
    I forgot to get a picture before I began processing her.

Attachments

• E5F5677E-D718-445F-9C1F-FCCF07F67284.jpg
      E5F5677E-D718-445F-9C1F-FCCF07F67284.jpg
      202.7 KB · Views: 287
    • 6E3BC099-27A3-41C8-8FB0-E4D44FFBC4DE.jpg
      6E3BC099-27A3-41C8-8FB0-E4D44FFBC4DE.jpg
      120 KB · Views: 286

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Could've shot a nice doe today. It was standing in the corner of a plowed cornfield about 40 yards away. I was on my way to where I had decided to try to hunt but I wanted the hunt to continue. I wanted to see if the bucks were doing the rutting thing. I let it walk but then found out that the spot I wanted to sit in was a lot farther than what I thought it would be. I sat about 200 yards from where I saw the doe but didn't see anything else.

I don't think the rut has started here at all.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Saw three does near the spot I saw one yesterday. Again I had one in my sights but it was early in the hunt and I saw nothing else. I should just go ahead and get this meat doe thing over with. Maybe tomorrow night.

No rutting action that I could see. More deer moving on the side of the highway after dark though.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Well, I went out last week. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Frustrated as all hell I went back to work this week for three days. Got grumpy, there goes another vacation day with the hurricane. Woke of this morning really not feeling it. Rain just quit, hunted last week 4 days and didn't even see one deer I wanted to shoot and I'm not very picky. No yearlings and Spikes or fours, maybe let a six go, maybe depending on my mood.

Something clicked today, I remember things "when it quits raining get out there" and I think the wasting another vacation day, except on purpose or laziness. So I made eggs for me and the dog and out I went. 7:05 I hear a noise behind me to the right. I look and see nothing. Then right in front down low a doe shoots by, then another deer. Too fast for heading to the bedding and not running. SOMEONE IS CHASING TAIL! But its too dark to see. The latter deer slows and in the low light it looks like a fork horn to me. I sigh and relax. I couldn't kill the doe and I got to let the forky walk. They head into the bedding area on the neighbors pines and it dies down. Maybe the other does will come, I need meat for caning.

8:05 Snap, She-I-it, there is an 8 point where they went into the bedding area. He turns and walks away from me. No, No, I grab my grunt call and "Urpp" and he stops and looks my way, then keeps walking away. "Damn" I grab the grunt call and slid it from B to D and "Mawww" His neck snaps like "Hey baby!" and starts heading my way. From 40+ yards out he heads at me zigging and zagging and not even a good quarting to shot and I don't like them for bow. At 15 yards, he got a sniff and the wind was heading that way, he let is slide. At five yards he's all rubby on the russian olive and put out the reobital gland smell. It looks to me like we are making eye contact. Steps right under my tree and stops. Put him in the crossbow scope thinking, I've never spined one, but its a crossbow and turning to the other side will make noise, lets go!

Twack, He instantly collapsed and hardly moved his front feet. Made some noise and at 20 seconds his head slipped down the tree and lights out. The arrows was sticking out 2" under the fetching still. The HBX head is amazing. I will post in the other braodhead thread about it.

Attachments

• Deer Drag_4.jpg
      Deer Drag_4.jpg
      72.5 KB · Views: 279
    • Deer Drag_3.jpg
      Deer Drag_3.jpg
      225.3 KB · Views: 274

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Congrats! I wanted to be out nad today when the weather broke but I'm doing the virtual learning thing.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Well, I went out last week. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Frustrated as all hell I went back to work this week for three days. Got grumpy, there goes another vacation day with the hurricane. Woke of this morning really not feeling it. Rain just quit, hunted last week 4 days and didn't even see one deer I wanted to shoot and I'm not very picky. No yearlings and Spikes or fours, maybe let a six go, maybe depending on my mood.

Something clicked today, I remember things "when it quits raining get out there" and I think the wasting another vacation day, except on purpose or laziness. So I made eggs for me and the dog and out I went. 7:05 I hear a noise behind me to the right. I look and see nothing. Then right in front down low a doe shoots by, then another deer. Too fast for heading to the bedding and not running. SOMEONE IS CHASING TAIL! But its too dark to see. The latter deer slows and in the low light it looks like a fork horn to me. I sigh and relax. I couldn't kill the doe and I got to let the forky walk. They head into the bedding area on the neighbors pines and it dies down. Maybe the other does will come, I need meat for caning.

8:05 Snap, She-I-it, there is an 8 point where they went into the bedding area. He turns and walks away from me. No, No, I grab my grunt call and "Urpp" and he stops and looks my way, then keeps walking away. "Damn" I grab the grunt call and slid it from B to D and "Mawww" His neck snaps like "Hey baby!" and starts heading my way. From 40+ yards out he heads at me zigging and zagging and not even a good quarting to shot and I don't like them for bow. At five yards he's all rubby on the russian olive and put out the reobital galnd smell. Steps right under my tree and stops. Put him in the crossbow scope thinking, I've never spined one, but its a crossbow and turning to the other side will make noise, lets go!

Twack, He instantly collapsed and hardly moved his front feet. Made some noise and at 20 seconds his head slipped down the tree and lights out. The arrows was stickig out 2" under the fletching still. The HBX head is amazing. I will post in the other braodhead thread about it.

Awesome story man. That shot looks directly down

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

8:05 Snap, She-I-it, there is an 8 point where they went into the bedding area. He turns and walks away from me. No, No, I grab my grunt call and "Urpp" and he stops and looks my way, then keeps walking away. "Damn" I grab the grunt call and slid it from B to D and "Mawww" His neck snaps like "Hey baby!" and starts heading my way. From 40+ yards out he heads at me zigging and zagging and not even a good quarting to shot and I don't like them for bow. At 15 yards, he got a sniff and the wind was heading that way, he let is slide. At five yards he's all rubby on the russian olive and put out the reobital gland smell. It looks to me like we are making eye contact. Steps right under my tree and stops. Put him in the crossbow scope thinking, I've never spined one, but its a crossbow and turning to the other side will make noise, lets go!

Twack, He instantly collapsed and hardly moved his front feet. Made some noise and at 20 seconds his head slipped down the tree and lights out. The arrows was sticking out 2" under the fetching still. The HBX head is amazing. I will post in the other braodhead thread about it.

Awesome story! That's my fear, worry and maybe hope?

I have a few really nice deer moving along my creek. The best place that it most likely to get them is an intersection of several trails and a crossing of the creek. Downside is the only tree I can get up on is basically in the middle of all of these intersections, so unless one of them stop a distance out, I am likely not to get a broadside shot, it is going to be almost straight down, or at best we are talking like a 10-30 degree angle from straight down (IE passing like 2-15yds from the tree, while being 20ft up).

Couple of times I've shot deer from a stand they were all about 20yds or so out while I was ~15-20ft up and they were turned perfectly broadside.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice goin Rob!
    After the rain stops and it's during the rut is a magic time to be in a tree. :party29:

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY

Interesting and awesome story.

It's also a pretty good example of the effectiveness of calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom