Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Ranges and Clubs > Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc. (AGC)

Notices

Old January 3rd, 2020, 09:28 AM   #431
PowPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dist1646 View Post
The difference you are trying to make is by virtue of whether they are called "guest" or 'visitor"? No matter what they are called, the end result is the same.
What I'm saying is that our language provides an expectation of hospitality when using the word "guest". That's why nobody mentioned that they'd make their guests pay the $10. It's inherently contrary to the meaning of the word.

#WeWillNotComply
Old January 3rd, 2020, 09:30 AM   #432
dist1646

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
What I'm saying is that our language provides an expectation of hospitality when using the word "guest". That's why nobody mentioned that they'd make their guests pay the $10. It's inherently contrary to the meaning of the word.
I understood what you said.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 09:52 AM   #433
IMBLITZVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoak View Post
You are both wrong. From AGC's website:... Inc. was formed on [B]July 1, 1944....
Sorry, I was going for 1940s... forgot the "s"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoak View Post
I recommend reading this thread to understand how policies are voted and implemented at AGC. IMBLITZ covered this in a previous page.
Thanks for some well thought out and correct answers. You must be in a good club that actually does its job and lets you know how the club works. It really is painful to continue to go over the same thing over and over, thanks for taking up the task for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmbspyder View Post
I’m aware of how it works. Seems to me like they stepped on a hornets nest here. It’s obvious the trustees did not solicit or listen to their own membership.... I don’t want to hear about “bylaws and charters and votes and proxies” and all that other bullshit. ....
You just want what you want! I get is. Who would want to have to deal with doing things the correct way! Trustee's maybe not be required to solicit opinions from their membership. What are you club's rules on the matter? Feel free to post you question on Tom's thread. He has been answering emails about it. However if you read, you will see why you are not going to get the answer you are looking for... because its not his call... but you don't care about how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
Its a fair point, but the adage in the business world is "customers don't complaint, they simply don't come back." ....
As a now former AGC member.... you are sure dedicated to this! Most people move on. Its clear to me you prefer an indoor range and are willing to pay more for it. So now that the AGC is not free for bringing a bunch of guests, you are done with it. The AGC was good for you when it was cheap. Now its not as cheap and you are ready to pay the extra at the indoor range. Ok... we don't have an indoor range... the AGC is not for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmbspyder View Post
.... or go down with the ship clutching their bylaws as membership flees. ... No appointees ran on promises or campaigns, it’s a bunch of people who volunteered their time. This is not Annapolis. Let me repeat: this is not Annapolis. Opinion should be sought from membership, and it is not. Saying, “well, you elected your official, he represents you” is a facade. For items like this their should be a membership proxy vote. ....
Again... the club is going to fail over a $10 guest fee... really? How do you know how people ran in other clubs. Most certainly promises are made in some elections. First we are Dems in Annapolis to some and now not others... great... Opinions were sought, just not in your club. Oh, now we should just totally get rid of the entire organization structure because you want direct voting this time. You don't want all the trouble of voting on every issue when you don't care, you just want to have direct voting when an issue that you care about comes up. Got it... good luck with that, here or anywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dist1646 View Post
It has been brought up at the meetings and the club membership present voted for the guest fees. When a club has only around 5% of the membership show up for meetings, it clearly demonstrated how little they care. That is, until it affects their wallets.
All these pages and no one has suggested that the guest could pick up the $10 fee for the privilege of using the facilities.
Perhaps if the hierarchy of the AGC had some semblance of fiscal responsibility, instead of catering to the "I want it now" crowd, that think everyone else should foot the bill for what they wish, the Badges would not be so expensive. Raising the cost just because they can is not a justifiable answer. Then again, if all those guests were purchasing range badges, the badge cost could be significantly reduced. (Note I said "could").
I really like the first part of your post! Yes exactly, people don't want any of the trouble of showing for meetings or doing the work of running the place. Suddenly they just care when it costs them a few extra bucks... You are right! I agree, too that the guests could pay for it. When not family I will be passing it on. I will pay for the ammo but you can pay for your ticket in. Show me other places where guests get in free. Pools, not usually. Golf.. haha... its not like its uncommon for guests to pay to get the advantage of where ever you go...

As far as the fiscal responsibility.... I do have to disagree. This is getting the money before using it! They could borrow it... No they are raising prices to pay for future upgrades. Sure they could often spend money better but frankly, I do think they are wiser with the money in the last few years... since the shed.... However you have some good points there too.

Quote:
To me, a guest is normally treated with hospitality. Hospitality in this context should mean no charge, right? On the other hand, if we simply called them visitors, does that make it seem easier to ask them to pay the $10? I don't know, but I'm not asking any of my guests/visitors to pay the $10.

Oh yes, and I renewed my badge knowing this policy would be approved.
I don't see why Hospitality means free. I commonly see people offer to let others shoot their gun if they pay or supply the ammo...

I know most of the non-family that I bring shooting offer to give me money. Now I can just tell them to pay the AGC and I will take care of the ammo costs. I don't see that is bad hosting....
Old January 3rd, 2020, 11:12 AM   #434
danb
dont be a dumbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBLITZVT View Post

As a now former AGC member.... you are sure dedicated to this! Most people move on. Its clear to me you prefer an indoor range and are willing to pay more for it. So now that the AGC is not free for bringing a bunch of guests, you are done with it. The AGC was good for you when it was cheap. Now its not as cheap and you are ready to pay the extra at the indoor range. Ok... we don't have an indoor range... the AGC is not for you...
0.000% chance I am asking my college age kids to buy a range badge or pay $10. They cannot even own pistols, let alone be unsupervised on the pistol range. If that is happening, it sounds like a big problem to me.

Actually I used to love the Barnes range, before they did whatever to the berms and caused all the erosion. Now its a mud pit.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 12:13 PM   #435
plinkerton

[QUOTE=danb;5744925

Actually I used to love the Barnes range, before they did whatever to the berms and caused all the erosion. Now its a mud pit.[/QUOTE]

A couple years ago someone made the joke "Associated Mud Clubs"
Old January 3rd, 2020, 12:26 PM   #436
TheBert
The Member

Quote:
When I go to a hotel I am treated as a guest as long a I pay for the room.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 12:35 PM   #437
IMBLITZVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
0.000% chance I am asking my college age kids to buy a range badge or pay $10. They cannot even own pistols, let alone be unsupervised on the pistol range. If that is happening, it sounds like a big problem to me.

Actually I used to love the Barnes range, before they did whatever to the berms and caused all the erosion. Now its a mud pit.
They can join the military, get a MG, go around the world and kill people... can't buy a beer or buy a smoke anymore. Life is not fair, I have been teaching my kids that since they first told me something was not fair. I hardly think the $10 guest fee is the worst of this "unfairness". You are not a member here anymore anyway, so no crap, you will not make them pay! You are not going to bring them because you are not a member!

Again... why do you still care? You are going to an indoor range. No more mud. You know the only reason its so muddy is people keep crying over it. Otherwise it would just be dirt. I mean seriously its a field that outdoors and we are going to cry over some mud. As I said, skip the high heels and put on some boots and move on with life!

God help MGN if they become an IP, you will be on there complain there is no wind on their indoor range!

Seriously guys, Why do places get an IP and start a forum on here? Do you think its to go on about stuff endlessly? When the AGC does something good, do you same guys make 500 posts about how great it is? I should do what most IPs do and just delete anything that is not positive. I can tell you its getting old! Sure, make your point and move on but this thread is looking like it needs to get locked as few positive things are coming out, its a select few bitching... now back to the mud...
Old January 3rd, 2020, 12:50 PM   #438
danb
dont be a dumbass

Quote:
When the AGC does something good, do you same guys make 500 posts about how great it is? I should do what most IPs do and just delete anything that is not positive. I can tell you its getting old!
Actually I did, I am pretty fair about that. Especially the griping about the shooting bays. i was one of the biggest apologists. the bays are a welcome addition. Also, steel and holster draw.

You started the thread... but overall I would say it illustrates why 95% of members don't show up at meetings. Nobody listens anyway.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 12:55 PM   #439
Stoveman
TV Personality

Quote:
When the AGC does something good, do you same guys make 500 posts about how great it is?

Yeah, actually we do. Nothing but solid praise for the action shooting bays, the quality of the matches and the professionalism with which they are run.

Mess with God's hour you get the Sig Sauer - Jack Wilson (probably)
Old January 3rd, 2020, 01:04 PM   #440
danb
dont be a dumbass

Quote:

Again... why do you still care?
and by the way, for the same reason I still write to my Democrap legislators in this state everytime there is another insane gun bill, and also send money to MSI. As long as there is still a 1% chance, its worth trying, even if it only turns a major insanity into a smaller insanity. In this case, many people will not be renewing until later in the month so there is still a chance the trustees will come to their senses before the damage is irreversible, with some sensible carve outs for under-21 year olds and maybe a few guests a year, as was suggested earlier (or as some ranges do: one guest badge, so at any time you can bring one guest).

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Ranges and Clubs > Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc. (AGC)