Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 27th, 2020, 11:53 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by strapped View Post
I have a coyote visiting my property nightly. What is the deal with these things? Do I want to keep it around or does it need a .223? What are the regs? I searched and don't see any recent threads on this topic!
Best to feed it some lead.
GSuders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 11:57 AM #12
Opinionated Libertarian

Opinionated Libertarian

Kill it. With extreme prejudice. I'm actually planning a night hunt on the farm I hunt deer on in Carroll County as soon as Bambi season is officially over. When I was up there after a snow fall a few weeks back in January rifle the sheer volume of coyote prints was staggering. I *think* I spotted their borough just on the other side of the property line so I know exactly where to set up... Coyotes are the wasps of the four legged worlds; instead of c*nt with wings, it is c*nt with legs.
KIBarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 01:52 PM #13

I contacted DNR (at the phone number next to the Trash Panda photo) and obtained a Landowner Permit to Control Nuisance Wildlife. It's free, but only lasts 60 days. We had foxes and raccoons killing our chickens, so there was a demonstrable reason (they will ask.) Received a nifty PDF file suitable for framing within a day of calling.
MigraineMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 01:56 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
This^^^

They are technically "unprotected", but a license is required unless you are preventing damage to pets/livestock. I know a furbearer permit is required to trap them, but not sure about just shooting them.
Shooting them requires the furbearer stamp
plinkerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 02:03 PM #15

I'm a predator hunter in MD & PA. Coyotes are trouble bad news they will kill your pets, young livestock, deer especially fawns, just about all wild game animals turkey, squirrel, ground hog, etc. They will also kill fox. In both MD & PA you need a hunting license plus a fur takers tag additional cost with license. My advice terminate them!
Old January 27th, 2020, 02:11 PM #16

your post count 556 there you go
HortusQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 05:11 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigraineMan View Post
I contacted DNR (at the phone number next to the Trash Panda photo) and obtained a Landowner Permit to Control Nuisance Wildlife. It's free, but only lasts 60 days. We had foxes and raccoons killing our chickens, so there was a demonstrable reason (they will ask.) Received a nifty PDF file suitable for framing within a day of calling.
Iíd imagine having the permit is good, but from Iíve seen, heard and read, that permit is only needed if trapping and killing them. If they are an active threat, they can still be killed out of season. They just canít be trapped first.

IE you could shoot the raccoon thatís getting in to your chicken coop. You just canít set a trap for it out of season, even if itís getting in to your coop. Or at least you canít trap it and kill it (and you canít legally relocate it if itís a rabies vector species).

The law says imminent threat to life or property.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 07:07 PM #18
21st Century Hoplite

21st Century Hoplite

They're in the city. Read last week on NextDoor that one was spotted west of the 3500 block of Greenmount Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortusQ View Post
your post count 556 there you go
Hahaha, saw that and got a screen capture.
Attached Images

Bikebreath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 08:04 PM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Iíd imagine having the permit is good, but from Iíve seen, heard and read, that permit is only needed if trapping and killing them. If they are an active threat, they can still be killed out of season. They just canít be trapped first.

IE you could shoot the raccoon thatís getting in to your chicken coop. You just canít set a trap for it out of season, even if itís getting in to your coop. Or at least you canít trap it and kill it (and you canít legally relocate it if itís a rabies vector species).

The law says imminent threat to life or property.
We put out traps, and I obtained the permit in the event that my asshat neighbor let his dogs roam the neighborhood again. If they ended up in my trap, I would have called Animal Control and presented them with the permit.

We were successful in trapping foxes and possums. Details are in the "my wife is into chicks" thread. No joy on the raccoons.

Amusingly, the USDA officer I spoke to (MD DNR subs this function out to a federal agency ... go figure) was more that enthusiastic that I would be shooting the trapped critter. I told him that we were intent on terminating the animal, not relocating it. "So, you're going to shoot it?" Yeah, not answering that in the affirmative. I assured him that we would humanely put the fox or raccoon down, in an unspecified manner.

Spoke a bit about the 60-day expiry, considering that the fox and raccoon (and coyote) threat to my livestock is persistent. Weeelll, they just want people to be paying attention, and not considering it to be a "do whatever you want, whenever you want" permit. So it's a "do whatever you want for the next 60 days" permit. Got it.

At least they don't charge me a fee to protect my animals.
MigraineMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 08:11 PM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
This^^^

They are technically "unprotected", but a license is required unless you are preventing damage to pets/livestock. I know a furbearer permit is required to trap them, but not sure about just shooting them.
Furbearer permit is just that. To ďbearĒ or ďpossessĒ the carcass (possibly only the ďfurĒ??) of any species designated as a ďfurbearerĒ you need to have a furbearer permit. Whether you shoot it, trap it, find it as roadkill, or it drops dead of old age in front of you, you cannot possess the animal unless you have a furbearer permit.
AlBeight is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports