Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old April 4th, 2020, 10:14 AM #31
Eqinsu Ocha

Eqinsu Ocha

Sounds like a great learning opportunity about what is important in life.

Did anyone really think prom was still going to happen?

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"

I would like to change my gender identity to "Well Regulated Militia."
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2020, 10:15 AM #32
Judge not this race .....

Judge not this race .....

Well, prom and graduation I can deal with... Right now, despite saving TONS of money in a "targeted" 2020 date 529 plans, we are seeing significant drops. My daughter so wants to go to Purdue and become an engineer. She worked her ass off, putting off social stuff, boys, and general shenanigans to have the BEST grades and right activities.

We HAD just enough to send her OOS, and now we don't. Which means loans loans loans and further assistance from us when we already pumped a bunch of our hard earned money in.... And Purdue is relatively cheap. Wisconsin wanted $212,000 as did Texas A&M.

She got decent money from Delaware and Ohio State but its NOT where she wants to go.... We are worried about her. No prom, no graduation (likely), and now going to college somewhere she REALLY wanted to, may not happen. Lets suppose we suck it up and send her anyway.... What if they close the school and do distance learning instead? The whole premise of Purdue is how to approach education as a collaborative process rather than isolating and judging everyone individually (yea they still get graded on their own but they also get graded for their collaboration effort). So not even really getting that freshman year away from home, doing what they want, when they want to, all part of the growing up and away from the parents.

The level of suckiness is undeniable. And it goes beyond just HS stuff. It's life changing.
bkuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2020, 10:21 AM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
You know, I read an OP like this and I realize, people are still not taking this seriously. Who thinks a bunch of teenagers on a crowded dance floor is a good idea? This is not going away by May, people, we will still have some social distancing guidelines in 4 or 6 weeks. People might be allowed back to work, but I doubt crowded dance floors will be a thing for a while. Especially because people are not taking it seriously today.
This. I'm surprised it took this long for a school system to start canceling senior activities. The chance of physical classes resuming this school year is pretty slim. If it isn't safe to have hundreds of kids spread throughout a building it isn't safe to have them packed in a ballroom or at a commencement ceremony.
jtb81100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2020, 10:25 AM #34

Never went to prom and all a HS graduation certificate qualifies you for is a minimum wage job.

I'm making my kids do diaries so they can reflect back on this years from now.
SWO Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2020, 10:53 AM #35
Eqinsu Ocha

Eqinsu Ocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWO Daddy View Post
Never went to prom and all a HS graduation certificate qualifies you for is a minimum wage job.

I'm making my kids do diaries so they can reflect back on this years from now.
That is a great idea

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"

I would like to change my gender identity to "Well Regulated Militia."
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2020, 11:05 AM #36

Prom was a joke and expensive. I could have just spent the night at my girlfriends house and saved a bunch of money.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell
Name Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2020, 11:07 AM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWO Daddy View Post
I don't agree with the second part of your sentence. I have a HS graduation certificate and make a few more bucks than minimum wage.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell
Name Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2020, 11:07 AM #38

Prom is a waste of money. I went to two and hated them. Graduation was boring as hell too. Unless they were the first to graduate from high school, pretty much everyone I went to school with was pissed that we had to be there for all the pomp and circumstance, especially given that your actual diploma isn't handed to you on stage anymore, you get a rolled up piece of plain paper that says something to the effect of "congrats" and your diploma is mailed to you.

Neither of these would have bothered me in 1998 when I graduated high school and none of them would bother me as a father now.
tallen702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2020, 11:10 AM #39

No surprise they canceled. It's the safe thing to do the kids will survive and be fine. Anyone who believes large gatherings are going to happen before September maybe next year are delusional.
smokedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2020, 11:18 AM #40

I am not a parent, so take this with a grain of salt, but I am an uncle to 10 nieces and nephews, so I am not totally aloof in this area...

Kudos to the OP for caring that two events in your daughter's young life are not going to happen. From my own perspective (I was in the National Honor Society and was voted Most Likely to Succeed in my senior class), I would have been happy to skip both graduation and senior prom. They were fun, but the memories for me probably lasted less than a week. Very small points on a long road.

This pandemic is going to impact all of our lives, and for many the impacts will be horrific. For the high school and college aged kids, the pandemic is better than any example we can conjure up that life wonít always go as planned, and that having the ability to adapt and move forward are key skills that every person would benefit from having. Perhaps they wonít end up at their first choice of a college; but by next fall, being alive to attend college will be a privilege that we donít take for granted, as perhaps we may do now.

Prayers for all of your health and safety, as we weather what is still going to be a long road. God Bless each and every one of you and your families.
MDHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland