• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmleone

Jul 4, 2020
    I just recently moved from Maryland from arizona. Anyone can enlighten me on if I can shoot mice and rats in my backyard with an air rifle before they decide to approach the inside of my house.

Looking online a little today it seems like no dice. No firing of firearms of any kind within 1000 feet or something so I would have to ask all my neighbors if it is ok if I shoot mice. Not sure if I need a permit also though or if I would even have to register the air rifle

This covid shutting the businesses down are driving them all over.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    What about a flame thrower?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I just recently moved from Maryland from arizona. Anyone can enlighten me on if I can shoot mice and rats in my backyard with an air rifle before they decide to approach the inside of my house.

Looking online a little today it seems like no dice. No firing of firearms of any kind within 1000 feet or something so I would have to ask all my neighbors if it is ok if I shoot mice. Not sure if I need a permit also though or if I would even have to register the air rifle

It depends on where you live. In some counties you can't even shoot a nerf gun but other counties you can hunt up to 150 yards from an occupied building.

Check out the hunting regulations:
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/Pages/default.aspx

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    If I were you, I'd trap both the mice and the rats with the Victor trap with that copper trip.
    Mice are simple. Rats - smart. I'll put baited but UNSET traps for rats for 2 or 3 nights along a fence or edgeline, then on day 4 I'll set the traps.
    It works. Next day, baited and unset. Fake them out. Shove a little peanut butter in the copper trip - NOT MUCH!
    Plus I shoot rats from my 2nd story - not legal, but fun and practice.
    My wife has more patience than I. Gamo Whisper, still makes a sound.

bb and pellet guns are not firearms so the 1000 feet or whatever does not apply. you dont need to register an air rifle.

It depends on your county whether or not you can shoot an air rifle of bb gun on your peoperty. We had a rat problem in my neighborhood a few years ago. I would tie a chicken bone to a brick and sit up on my deck and shoot them with a pellet gun. Its important to tie the bait down or else they will just run off with it before you can shoot them.

As far as I know shooting bb and pellet guns on your property is legal in baltimore county and if its not I really dont give a shit im going to shoot it anyway.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    We found a nest in our grill recently. Mama, a field mouse, had a little family of pinky's in there. We closed the grill and covered it back up. Then we left her a pile of mouse/rat food in the drip tray so that she wouldn't have to venture out and risk getting killed until the little ones had grown up and moved on. Then we removed the nest and cleaned everything up well before putting the grill back in service. She was a cute little thing.

tdmne

Apr 28, 2020
    I think it would be ok if you can do it discreetly. Traps Are probably better though

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    We found a nest in our grill recently. Mama, a field mouse, had a little family of pinky's in there. We closed the grill and covered it back up. Then we left her a pile of mouse/rat food in the drip tray so that she wouldn't have to venture out and risk getting killed until the little ones had grown up and moved on. Then we removed the nest and cleaned everything up well before putting the grill back in service. She was a cute little thing.

That's the strangest way of spelling"cranked up the gas and watched the little suckers burn" I've ever seen...

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Now all the little ones have families of their own. A few more generations and it will be Bubonic Plague 2020!:sad20:

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    The op's first post is asking about legalities and some respond with "it might be illegal ,but I'm doing it anyway" ???

I think we need to be a little smarter when it comes to that sort of thing

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    I don't know where you are, but

This is what Anne Arundel Co has to say about it.

§ 9-1-602. Bows and arrows, BB guns, slingshots, and the like.
    (a) Definition. In this section, "weapon" means a bow and arrow, BB gun, slingshot,
    or other device designed to discharge a pellet or other object by force of a spring, elastic band,
    gas cylinder, air cylinder, or gas or air cartridge.
    (b) Prohibitions. A person may not sell, give away, lend, or otherwise transfer a
    weapon to a minor. A person may not discharge or use a weapon on private property without the
    express permission of the owner or other person entitled to possession of the property. A person
    may not discharge or use a weapon except in a manner that will prevent the discharged pellet or
    object from traversing grounds or space outside the limits of the property on which the weapon is
    discharged or used. A person may not discharge a weapon within 100 yards of a structure or
    camp occupied by human beings or commonly used by human beings unless the discharge is at a
    bona fide commercial indoor or outdoor target range under the supervision of an adult or there is
    in use a safe and reasonable backstop of sufficient size and composition to ensure that the
    projectile or arrow cannot pass through the target or backstop.
    (c) Construction of section. This section may not be construed to make lawful
    anything otherwise prohibited by law.
    (d) Sanctions for violation. A person who violates any provision of this section is
    guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $500 or
    imprisonment not exceeding 60 days or both.
    (1985 Code, Art. 11, § 4-102)

If I make a "safe and reasonable backstop" I can practice shooting a air rifle or bow on my property.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

Already had exactly the same experience this year. We let 'em live, because we like feeding the fox family that visits our yard every night. They go through a LOT of mice (and chipmunks, and birds, and fatty steak trimmings).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom