• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    Being a new shooter I never realized how difficult it can be to shoot a pistol. I’m slowly learning how to aim better and fix my mistakes. Got my first training class Wednesday so hopefully that helps me.
    4d26e5771d5014b5f054b8b3d4f01d41.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, what I see here is fully loaded mags and fast shooting. Do yourself (and wallet) a favor, just load 1 or 2 rounds at a time. By default, it makes you take a break. Too many people feel the need to shoot everything in one gulp. What happens is you hold your aim, you end up taking too much time, start gasping for breath, not paying attention and then you shoot. Then this keeps happening, and then you get aggravated, and then just start shooting crap to get it over with. Arms get tired, etc.....

Slow down!

Just a guess, are you a left handed shooter?

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    So, what I see here is fully loaded mags and fast shooting. Do yourself (and wallet) a favor, just load 1 or 2 rounds at a time. By default, it makes you take a break. Too many people feel the need to shoot everything in one gulp. What happens is you hold your aim, you end up taking too much time, start gasping for breath, not paying attention and then you shoot. Then this keeps happening, and then you get aggravated, and then just start shooting crap to get it over with. Arms get tired, etc.....

Slow down!

Just a guess, are you a left handed shooter?

I’m definitely loading a full mag each time and I do go back and forth between going fast and slow.

Yes I am lefty.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I’m definitely loading a full mag each time and I do go back and forth between going fast and slow.

Yes I am lefty.

I thought so. Pretty sure you are anticipating the shots. This makes you push down and right. Left hand dominate, dominate hand bullies the weak hand.

Here's my suggestion.... Just shoot. That's all. Don't worry about aiming. Shoot about 50 rounds and get to know what the pistol does, how the recoil feels. Pay attention to where the trigger is when the shot is fired. Get acquainted first.
    Once you get over the recoil, you can totally forget about it and concentrate on your aiming skills.Too difficult for me to tell you how to reset your sight picture after the recoil.
    I can't see your grip, so I can't comment on that. But make sure it is firm.

What pistol are you shooting?

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    I thought so. Pretty sure you are anticipating the shots. This makes you push down and right. Left hand dominate, dominate hand bullies the weak hand.

Here's my suggestion.... Just shoot. That's all. Don't worry about aiming. Shoot about 50 rounds and get to know what the pistol does, how the recoil feels. Pay attention to where the trigger is when the shot is fired. Get acquainted first.
    Once you get over the recoil, you can totally forget about it and concentrate on your aiming skills.Too difficult for me to tell you how to reset your sight picture after the recoil.
    I can't see your grip, so I can't comment on that. But make sure it is firm.

What pistol are you shooting?

I actually just read you saying this to someone else and I’m gonna be following this advice next time.

My grip needs work but it’s getting better. I’m not limp wristing it (to my knowledge). I’m shooting a shield 2.0.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I actually just read you saying this to someone else and I’m gonna be following this advice next time.

My grip needs work but it’s getting better. I’m not limp wristing it (to my knowledge). I’m shouting a shield 2.0.

Great pistol! Good for you.

Learn the reset. I am not that familiar with the trigger. Press that trigger slowly until you feel it hit the "wall", for lack of better term. This is where the love happens. Everything you do up to that point means nothing. But it's at this point where everything that is important has to come together. This is where the bang happens, when you press that wall.
    I call that the front of the bang. You have the front of the bang(everything you do up to the wall), the bang, and behind the bang(things that happen after. Sight picture reset, trigger reset).

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    Great pistol! Good for you.

Learn the reset. I am not that familiar with the trigger. Press that trigger slowly until you feel it hit the "wall", for lack of better term. This is where the love happens. Everything you do up to that point means nothing. But it's at this point where everything that is important has to come together. This is where the bang happens, when you press that wall.
    I call that the front of the bang. You have the front of the bang(everything you do up to the wall), the bang, and behind the bang(things that happen after. Sight picture reset, trigger reset).

When at home I been dry firing and learning the reset and break of the trigger. It has helped me a lot so far. This is the 3rd time total I have been able to shoot.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Another good drill is load one round in the chamber, remove mag, pull trigger and fire the round and then pull trigger to "fire" a second round. Of course the second round will just click but you will be able to see any movement and also train the feel of the trigger without movement. Do this for at least one full mag of ammo.

Remember shooting is easy, all you got to do is align the sights with the target and then press the trigger without disturbing the alignment.........that's all lol. If your shooting hand is tense the trigger finger will not be able to move independently. Grip Is still super important. When you dry fire try to isolate that trigger finger and not squeeze all your fingers. I teach about 20% squeeze in shooting hand and about 80% in support hand. These are approx and may change for individuals but a good place to start.

Some will say trigger finger placement needs adjusted..........I care more about grip honestly.

My 2 cents, take if you wish.
    TD

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    Another good drill is load one round in the chamber, remove mag, pull trigger and fire the round and then pull trigger to "fire" a second round. Of course the second round will just click but you will be able to see any movement and also train the feel of the trigger without movement. Do this for at least one full mag of ammo.

Remember shooting is easy, all you got to do is align the sights with the target and then press the trigger without disturbing the alignment.........that's all lol. If your shooting hand is tense the trigger finger will not be able to move independently. Grip Is still super important. When you dry fire try to isolate that trigger finger and not squeeze all your fingers. I teach about 20% squeeze in shooting hand and about 80% in support hand. These are approx and may change for individuals but a good place to start.

Some will say trigger finger placement needs adjusted..........I care more about grip honestly.

My 2 cents, take if you wish.
    TD

I appreciate the advice. I’ll definitely check on my grip and see if that helps also.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Looks to me like a little work on the support hand may be in order. Could be squeezing your entire hand as you pull the trigger which can push the shot to the right for a lefty.

Use the right hand to give firm support the the left hand. This will allow the left hand to be more "relaxed" as you squeeze the trigger and you will be less likely to push the shot to the right.

Just guessing since I have not seen your grip. There are lots of good instructional videos on the net. Use what works best for you.

Try different things as you learn and do not forget to train shooting with only one hand, both strong and weak. You can never be sure what may occur in a defensive situation so it is best to be prepared for almost anything.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Those look like decent groups. Keep up the good work, and kudos for seeking instruction.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I definitely needed it. I just drained all my ammo doing it though.

Yeah, you picked a tough time to start. Dry fire helps. So does getting a .22 pistol to supplement. Rimfire ammo is still somewhat available. It'll all settle down someday. When that comes, buy much more ammo than you think you need.

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    Yeah, you picked a tough time to start. Dry fire helps. So does getting a .22 pistol to supplement. Rimfire ammo is still somewhat available. It'll all settle down someday. When that comes, buy much more ammo than you think you need.

I’m getting a ruger charger soon for my wife. Gonna use that as I already have ammo.

arts

Nov 14, 2014
    Get hold of a 22 pistol or revolver. You can buy one for the cost of the ammo you're going to go thru learning to shoot. Put a couple thousand rounds down range. Then step back into what your shooting now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom