• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    This is awesome! Was trying to find a replacement TT33 trigger but they are sold out everywhere. Just ordered an M57 trigger for the type 54. I’ll let you know if it works!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    1980s Portuguese 7.62x51 NATO available for $0.599/round shipped (using at MoCo zip code) packed loose in a .30cal ammo can: https://www.dsarms.com/p-17214-port...munition-200-rounds-packed-in-30-cal-can.aspx

Berdan primed with *supposedly* steel core though it's more likely bi-metal jacketed. My guess is that they just stuck a magnet to it. M80 Ball de-linked, so there may be some slight tarnishing, but nothing bad from some reviews I've read.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    1980s Portuguese 7.62x51 NATO available for $0.599/round shipped (using at MoCo zip code) packed loose in a .30cal ammo can: https://www.dsarms.com/p-17214-port...munition-200-rounds-packed-in-30-cal-can.aspx

Berdan primed with *supposedly* steel core though it's more likely bi-metal jacketed. My guess is that they just stuck a magnet to it. M80 Ball de-linked, so there may be some slight tarnishing, but nothing bad from some reviews I've read.

Sold out now. I guess I should have pulled the trigger last night when I had two cans in my shopping cart. Didn't want to dish out the $ though.

Then turned out I am working like 7+hrs of overtime today when I expected to be working an hour or two. Tops.

Oh well.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Sold out now. I guess I should have pulled the trigger last night when I had two cans in my shopping cart. Didn't want to dish out the $ though.

Then turned out I am working like 7+hrs of overtime today when I expected to be working an hour or two. Tops.

Oh well.

Apparently they've had it for a few months and just failed to let everyone know. Reviews I saw were from back in May. I originally was going to wait until this morning as well, but said "eff it" and pulled the trigger right before posting here. Given the way prices have been going, I figured I might as well.

FWIW, Hafer's in Hagerstown was still well-stocked with most rifle and pistol ammo. Nothing truly cheap (no white-box .223/5.56 for example) but there's ammo there if you need it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Apparently they've had it for a few months and just failed to let everyone know. Reviews I saw were from back in May. I originally was going to wait until this morning as well, but said "eff it" and pulled the trigger right before posting here. Given the way prices have been going, I figured I might as well.

FWIW, Hafer's in Hagerstown was still well-stocked with most rifle and pistol ammo. Nothing truly cheap (no white-box .223/5.56 for example) but there's ammo there if you need it.

Thanks. I am good, but hard to pass up a good price (and not a bad one prepandemic) on 7.62x51. I’ve got a fair amount. But I just built an AR-10. All I had before was a Sako Forester in .308.

I’ve got at least a .30 cal can full of PPU M80, A .50 cal can full of mixed .308 and 7.62x51 in a variety of types and weights. Another assorted maybe 200 rounds of Aguila and Wolf M80/.308

Plus maybe 300-400 casings, 1k large rifle primers, dies, about 1k mixed .308 bullets and powder. Not a ton of powder mind you. If that runs dry I doubt I could reload half of the .308 I have primers and bullets if I am using it for .223/5.56 reloading also without having to source more powder.

Have to work up a load before I can crank round out and then replenish the powder I’ve used. That’s my next project.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Thanks. I am good, but hard to pass up a good price (and not a bad one prepandemic) on 7.62x51. I’ve got a fair amount. But I just built an AR-10. All I had before was a Sako Forester in .308.

I’ve got at least a .30 cal can full of PPU M80, A .50 cal can full of mixed .308 and 7.62x51 in a variety of types and weights. Another assorted maybe 200 rounds of Aguila and Wolf M80/.308

Plus maybe 300-400 casings, 1k large rifle primers, dies, about 1k mixed .308 bullets and powder. Not a ton of powder mind you. If that runs dry I doubt I could reload half of the .308 I have primers and bullets if I am using it for .223/5.56 reloading also without having to source more powder.

Have to work up a load before I can crank round out and then replenish the powder I’ve used. That’s my next project.

IMR 4895 seems to be in good supply and is a decent powder for .308. It's one of the few that seems to still be available in bulk online and Hafer's had plenty of it by the pound and in bulk as well.

Anyone needing 8mm Mauser, Centerfire Systems has it for something like ~$0.26 per round after taxes and shipping. Czech surplus of unknown lot or quality. Corrosive, Berdan-primed, steel core with bi-metal jacket and no guarantee on how well it fires, but for that price, I'll take it for some cheap range-food.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Anyone needing 8mm Mauser, Centerfire Systems has it for something like ~$0.26 per round after taxes and shipping. Czech surplus of unknown lot or quality. Corrosive, Berdan-primed, steel core with bi-metal jacket and no guarantee on how well it fires, but for that price, I'll take it for some cheap range-food.

If the pictures are right, that's Bulgarian 8mm. Reviews are all over the place, but expect duds and hangfires. But the description says brass cased, and Bulgarian 8mm is copper washed steel cased, so it may be Czech.

Either way, interested to see what they actually send.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    If the pictures are right, that's Bulgarian 8mm. Reviews are all over the place, but expect duds and hangfires. But the description says brass cased, and Bulgarian 8mm is copper washed steel cased, so it may be Czech.

I agree, it looks to be bulgarian judging by the 10 stamp. I'd say its iffy and I wouldnt think it would even be as good as the often shunned 50's yugo. Never had luck with any bulgarian ammo from that time period. It's cheap and I think they probably know its crap. No company is giving away good ammo for cheap, especially recently. With all that said, it may not be too risky out of a large ring mauser. I wouldnt dare trust it in any semi-auto. Worst case scenario you get some reloading components.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Yeah, definitely mixed signals. Even if it isn't Czech, and sucks, the projectile salvage alone makes it worth it at the current component price.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Yeah, definitely mixed signals. Even if it isn't Czech, and sucks, the projectile salvage alone makes it worth it at the current component price.
    I did some research last night and found 2 positive reviews and about 20 people saying to stay away because of duds and hang fires. The positive reviews had people surprised. Surprisingly the positive reviews said it shot accurately so maybe the projectiles are decent eventhough a read it was steel-cored (actually said iron). I had 3 lots in my cart but stopped myself because I have a decent stash of yugo and turk. Wish I could find some reloadable 8mm to get the cases.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I did some research last night and found 2 positive reviews and about 20 people saying to stay away because of duds and hang fires. The positive reviews had people surprised. Surprisingly the positive reviews said it shot accurately so maybe the projectiles are decent eventhough a read it was steel-cored (actually said iron). I had 3 lots in my cart but stopped myself because I have a decent stash of yugo and turk. Wish I could find some reloadable 8mm to get the cases.

I'll make sure to post up what comes through in the end.

If it's brass cased, it's actually not too bad to convert berdan to boxer with a little work. There's a guy on youtube showing that if you decap the berdan primers using the hydraulic method, and save said primers, you can drill a boxer flash-hole, flip the used berdans over and super-glue them in backward. Drill a new flash hole and then swage the new re-sized primer pockets. After that, standard boxer large-rilfe primers will seat perfectly and are the brass is re-usable for several reloads.

Yes, it's a fair amount of work, but if you do it 50 or so at a time, it should be manageable.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD

I tried a box of the Bulgarian 8mm in my Yugo Mauser and it had a 15 for 15 dud rate. But if the bullets are good, then it's worth it just for those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom