• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I went with AR500 because of their videos but I hope I never have to test it against live rounds.

https://youtu.be/zWV3LrUdrVg
    Word of warning... AR500 marketing practices are dubious at best. Their stuff isn't NIJ certified, it just meets NIJ standards. Was about to pull the trigger on them, however that killed it for me. Not ponying up the money for the cert, or even passing it on to buyers, shows (to me) that they really don't care about their customers.

I will say that it was their ads that turned me on to armor in the first place. Their advertising department is really very good!

Whatever you do if you go w them, spend the extra and get the build up coat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Word of warning... AR500 marketing practices are dubious at best. Their stuff isn't NIJ certified, it just meets NIJ standards. Was about to pull the trigger on them, however that killed it for me. Not ponying up the money for the cert, or even passing it on to buyers, shows (to me) that they really don't care about their customers.

I will say that it was their ads that turned me on to armor in the first place. Their advertising department is really very good!

Their mission is to sell affordable and high quality armor . To do that you need to cut costs somewhere, like a costly pointless certification. There are plenty of videos on YouTube proving their armor works and meets the standards. They currently have a deal for 2 level 3 plates for $60, you can't beat that anywhere. They also have 20% off everything right now and run deals like this all the time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Their mission is to sell affordable and high quality armor . To do that you need to cut costs somewhere, like a costly pointless certification. There are plenty of videos on YouTube proving their armor works and meets the standards. They currently have a deal for 2 level 3 plates for $60, you can't beat that anywhere. They also have 20% off everything right now and run deals like this all the time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, someone made a point earlier in this thread (I think) that lifesaving equipment shouldn't necessarily be skimped on. While I appreciate value, I appreciate being able to not have severe injuries or die more than I do a couple hundred bucks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they offer armor at rock bottom prices, it's just not a risk I'm willing to take myself.

Just my 2 cents

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Getting shot is never fun. Do the best you can to avoid it.

Speed is security.

kolohekanaka

Jul 23, 2017
    Howard County, MD

Yessir, sure did! I selected the premium build up coat and multi-curve. For now, the plates are sitting in my shopping cart because I spent my lunch money on the plate carrier. Ideally, I'd prefer a shield to crouch behind and minimize exposure to arms and legs. In Columbia, a house not far from mine was shot at 5 times a few days ago. You probably heard about it or saw the news on TV. That's the type of home defense scenario I expect to have to face.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Yessir, sure did! I selected the premium build up coat and multi-curve. For now, the plates are sitting in my shopping cart because I spent my lunch money on the plate carrier. Ideally, I'd prefer a shield to crouch behind and minimize exposure to arms and legs. In Columbia, a house not far from mine was shot at 5 times a few days ago. You probably heard about it or saw the news on TV. That's the type of home defense scenario I expect to have to face.
    Great minds think alike...from your neighbor in Ellicott City, I wanna be ready for the same here...

Wife already thinks armor is overkill, not sure a riot shield type device would be welcome here lol

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    https://rmadefense.com/product/level-iv-hard-armor-plate-model-1155/
    For level IV ceramic plates, is RMA pretty much the best cheap option? Botach and LAPG have some at $99 and $115, but they seem to test "to NIJ standards", have a ceramic plate that's closer to 9x11 inside, and lack protective foam on the front to protect the plate/keep it together. The LAPG plate has a ceramic array though instead of one monolithic plate, but doesn't run edge to edge. The RMA has a plate that runs edge to edge with protective foam in front of it(which is why it's thicker than the other two by .2"), and posts the official NIJ results. They're also only about $135, which seems great for a level IV, and have a 10 year warranty instead of 5 year. Am I missing any level IV 10x12 curved plates that are NIJ tested for less money?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Have y’all ever looked around your house in serious fashion to consider where you might take fire from, thus into your home?

Have you thought about what will stop around? Like what to get behind? For instance...woodstove, brick or stone wall, masonry fireplace, old school chopping block, etc. An old cast iron tub is better than nothing.

Basement with poured or block walls is a fan favorite. Getting to and down the stairs might prove a bitch. Books/a library are also pretty Good bullet stoppers. If you only had a collection of old school telephone books, that would work too.

Anyhow, home security is clearly something y’all are thinking about. Think about your home as an outpost that could be attacked. Frame houses aren’t too good at protecting the contents from gunfire.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Have y’all ever looked around your house in serious fashion to consider where you might take fire from, thus into your home?

Have you thought about what will stop around? Like what to get behind? For instance...woodstove, brick or stone wall, masonry fireplace, old school chopping block, etc. An old cast iron tub is better than nothing.

Basement with poured or block walls is a fan favorite. Getting to and down the stairs might prove a bitch. Books/a library are also pretty Good bullet stoppers. If you only had a collection of old school telephone books, that would work too.

Anyhow, home security is clearly something y’all are thinking about. Think about your home as an outpost that could be attacked. Frame houses aren’t too good at protecting the contents from gunfire.

This is going to be mildly hair-brained, but tell me what you think.... tossing bags of sand inside drywall in a place that makes sense. For example, I've got one staircase that runs upstairs. The basic plan if the wife or I hear a bump in the night is for me to go to the top of the stairs to keep anyone from coming up, while she grabs the kids and moves to the gun room behind a couple locked doors. From there, it would be pretty easy to keep anyone from coming up the stairs and I have enough cameras in the house to be able to see where anyone is with my phone. Anyone shooting up at me wouldn't be firing anywhere near the planned location for my wife & kids.

However, I'd just be up there with a 2x4/drywall wall that runs along the top of the stairs as concealment. I've toyed around with the idea of just tossing some bagged up sand inside of the thing between the studs, so it would actually provide some level of cover. Too much?

I recognize that plans pretty much go out the window in an actual emergency, but it seems like the most likely scenario that I could possibly plan for. Other scenarios are wildly too variable.

Attachments

• 20190807_094106.jpg
      20190807_094106.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 253

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    This is going to be mildly hair-brained, but tell me what you think.... tossing bags of sand inside drywall in a place that makes sense. For example, I've got one staircase that runs upstairs. The basic plan if the wife or I hear a bump in the night is for me to go to the top of the stairs to keep anyone from coming up, while she grabs the kids and moves to the gun room behind a couple locked doors. From there, it would be pretty easy to keep anyone from coming up the stairs and I have enough cameras in the house to be able to see where anyone is with my phone. Anyone shooting up at me wouldn't be firing anywhere near the planned location for my wife & kids.

However, I'd just be up there with a 2x4/drywall wall that runs along the top of the stairs as concealment. I've toyed around with the idea of just tossing some bagged up sand inside of the thing between the studs, so it would actually provide some level of cover. Too much?

I recognize that plans pretty much go out the window in an actual emergency, but it seems like the most likely scenario that I could possibly plan for. Other scenarios are wildly too variable.

I doubt you'd stand squared up in the stairway like that. If it opens to your right that is a much better angle. I wouldn't stand in the open for that angle but it is certainly idea of the house opens up to the house behind you.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I doubt you'd stand squared up in the stairway like that. If it opens to your right that is a much better angle. I wouldn't stand in the open for that angle but it is certainly idea of the house opens up to the house behind you.

Yeah, the stairway lands up to the left from the perspective of the picture. I'd use the wall on the left as concealment unless someone started coming up, then it's that straight shot down. Hence the toying around with tossing sand in that wall for cheap protection. The door at the bottom is the main entrance.

Another benefit from posting up here is the reduced risk to my neighbors, since I'd be shooting down into the front yard and they'd presumably be shooting up through the roof.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County

Book cases are a good one, especially behind the long direction. I read an article a while back that said just a few books could stop a 5.56 round (non armor piercing)

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Reporting in. There was a delay in delivery, and after calling them (they're really responsive) BAO said there was a backlog of about a month for the black plate carrier I wanted. Changed to OD green and it shipped out the next day. They're in New England, so I got the package 2 days later via ups ground. Outstanding.

The rebranded RMA 1155 plates are pretty thick and heavy, but not more than I expected, about 8lbs each, ceramic, 10 year warranty. About as thick as a quarter, single curve, and wrapped in a nice neoprene-like material. $130 each if I remember correctly. In stock right now and ready to ship. Made in late July

The plate carrier is made very well with strong velcro keeping most things in place. Quick release clips on the shoulders, and padding all over except for the cummerbund. Molle all over the place, and a nice pocket in the front if you can pry the velcro open. Feels very secure when on. Went for a jog and did a camping night in our back yard wearing it. Things were a significant amount harder wearing the plates, but not unbearable. I forgot I was wearing it for a good portion of the time. I bought mag pouches as well which were also on backorder. $110 or so for the carrier.

Total loadout weight is about 19lbs w no ammo. All in all, with my limited expertise, this seems like a great rig to run for my purposes. BAO as a company is more than GTG, customer service was so responsive, and their selection beyond their own brand is really very large. I'm very happy with my experience with them, especially after handling the small carrier difficulty.

Happy with the purchase, hope this helps!

www.bodyarmoroutlet.com
    0d21bb957ef6fc9dc3eb5eef0e8d6e7f.jpg

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Yeah, the stairway lands up to the left from the perspective of the picture. I'd use the wall on the left as concealment unless someone started coming up, then it's that straight shot down. Hence the toying around with tossing sand in that wall for cheap protection. The door at the bottom is the main entrance.

Another benefit from posting up here is the reduced risk to my neighbors, since I'd be shooting down into the front yard and they'd presumably be shooting up through the roof.
    Maybe put the bag in the wall first, then fill with sand so it expands in to all of the spaces between the studs etc. that it needs to? This is a good idea...

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    https://rmadefense.com/product/level-iv-hard-armor-plate-model-1155/
    For level IV ceramic plates, is RMA pretty much the best cheap option? Botach and LAPG have some at $99 and $115, but they seem to test "to NIJ standards", have a ceramic plate that's closer to 9x11 inside, and lack protective foam on the front to protect the plate/keep it together. The LAPG plate has a ceramic array though instead of one monolithic plate, but doesn't run edge to edge. The RMA has a plate that runs edge to edge with protective foam in front of it(which is why it's thicker than the other two by .2"), and posts the official NIJ results. They're also only about $135, which seems great for a level IV, and have a 10 year warranty instead of 5 year. Am I missing any level IV 10x12 curved plates that are NIJ tested for less money?

Hesco 4401's are similar priced to the RMA 1155's, NIJ Level IV certified and 1 lb lighter, but lead times are crazy unless you're willing to pay above MSRP.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

I would be on the right side at the top of the steps, that way you have more pie sliced down below to the left, where the threat would be coming from.
    You don't need to be on the left side looking down the bottom at the wall at your pictures. No one is coming from that direction.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I would be on the right side at the top of the steps, that way you have more pie sliced down below to the left, where the threat would be coming from.
    You don't need to be on the left side looking down the bottom at the wall at your pictures. No one is coming from that direction.

Would, but the right side is just a flat wall. The stairs but up to the firewall between our house and the one next to us. Down the stairs to the left is the kitchen with a camera pointing in the direction of the front door/stairs, so I could see anyone from that side using that if need be. Also waaaaay down on the right is a mirror, so theoretically I could kind've peek around the corner with that.

Real position would probably be closer to here unless I needed to step forward and around that half-wall a bit. That little half wall is the potential cover im mentioning.

Attachments

• 20200814_103214.jpg
      20200814_103214.jpg
      44.4 KB · Views: 295

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Would, but the right side is just a flat wall. The stairs but up to the firewall between our house and the one next to us. Down the stairs to the left is the kitchen with a camera pointing in the direction of the front door/stairs, so I could see anyone from that side using that if need be. Also waaaaay down on the right is a mirror, so theoretically I could kind've peek around the corner with that.
    I'd stay right there and keep my position of dominance. The POD.
    That stairway wall affords some relative cover, and you're able to keep tabs on the family in the room behind you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom