• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARPistol410

Mar 6, 2019
    So I want to build an AR Pistol and I am trying to find out do I need a MD HQL to purchase a lower receiver since its going to be registered as Other?

user_617905

Aug 26, 2017
    Columbia
    Stripped receivers are exempt from HQL requirements. You will still need to fill out a 77r and wait the 7 days for the "not-disapproved".

If you were so inclined, you could assemble the receiver as a handgun and claim it as your previously owned regulated firearm to use as a training exemption for HQL.

[Doubling back correction]: Given that the lower receiver is subject to the 77R requirements it's already considered a "Regulated Firearm", so the extra step of assembling it as a handgun is not necessary.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW, if you buy a lower, that qualifies you to not have to take the training if you decide to get an HQL.

user_617905

Aug 26, 2017
    Columbia
    One is only exempt from HQL training due to ownership of regulated firearm if they owned said item before Oct 1, 2013. One cannot go out and buy a lower today on a 77R and then use that as an exemption from HQL training.
    I used my post-2013 lower as my training exemption. I now have an HQL.

The exemption is, "​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License."

Stripped lowers are regulated firearms.

Last edited:

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    How about an introductory post on yourself. There are many threads that address 2A issues both nationally and locally already here. You can find everything you seek in those threads.

Inquiries like yours from brand new members raise suspicion. A popular tactic with gun control advocates is to ask such a question and then use some responses to further their agenda.

Responses like this are what they look for: "If you were so inclined, you could claim the receiver as your previously owned regulated firearm to use as a training exemption for HQL."

This was posted by another "new" member which may also be an infiltrator seeking to spread bad advice and taint this site's stellar reputation.

I would not make false claims about a firearm to any law enforcement personnel. You can bet that the state knows about any regulated firearm that you bought new in Maryland, and still has a record of it! On a phone call to MSP about my Maryland Designated Collector status, a revolver that I purchased in the early 80's was mentioned by them.

And don't get upset for being called new. I have been posting here for two years and I still consider myself to be fairly new. There are many very experienced shooters willing to help those that share their passion. When they start posting with answers in your threads, then you will know that you are getting valuable information. You will also find many cannot help themselves and must respond in jest.

user_617905

Aug 26, 2017
    Columbia
    Responses like this are what they look for: "If you were so inclined, you could claim the receiver as your previously owned regulated firearm to use as a training exemption for HQL."

This was posted by another "new" member which may also be an infiltrator seeking to spread bad advice and taint this site's stellar reputation.

I would not make false claims about a firearm to any law enforcement personnel.

My posts are in good faith. However, after re-reading the law I realized that I may be misspoken. I am now not confident that a lower itself would qualify as a regulated firearm. For my HQL application I'd assembled the lower as an AR pistol. I've edited my previous posts to correct for this.

I've now been re-convinced that stripped lowers themselves qualify as a regulated firearm which can be claimed.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I used my post-2013 lower as my training exemption. I now have an HQL.

The exemption is, "​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License."

When assembled as a handgun the lower qualifies as a regulated firearm.

Actually no, MSP considers AR-15 lowers themselves as regulated. You just don’t need an HQL to purchase one as they aren’t a handgun. So you don’t have to build it in to anything, just purchase one, go through the 77r process and 7-day wait and once transferred to you, you lawfully own a regulated firearm by legal definition.

Besides how would MSP know it was ever built in to anything?

user_617905

Aug 26, 2017
    Columbia
    Actually no, MSP considers AR-15 lowers themselves as regulated. You just don’t need an HQL to purchase one as they aren’t a handgun. So you don’t have to build it in to anything, just purchase one, go through the 77r process and 7-day wait and once transferred to you, you lawfully own a regulated firearm by legal definition.

Besides how would MSP know it was ever built in to anything?

Thanks for clarifying. My edit was to fit the scenario I used, since I couldn't find a convincing enough document declaring stripped lowers as "Regulated Firearms". I guess by nature of requiring a 77r they are "Regulated".

Perhaps the statement from MDSP Advisory LD-FRS-14-003, "However, the 'stripped' lower receiver, as per the definition above, is still considered a firearm and therefore is subject to the 77R process." should have been "However, the 'stripped' lower receiver, as per the definition above, is still considered a regulated firearm and therefore is subject to the 77R process."

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    So you don't need an HQL to purchase a lower registered for pistol....but once it is built into a fully functional AR pistol then you need an HQL, but just don't have to do the training component of getting the HQL?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So you don't need an HQL to purchase a lower registered for pistol....but once it is built into a fully functional AR pistol then you need an HQL, but just don't have to do the training component of getting the HQL?

No HQL needed to buy a lower, regardless of what it is built into, still have to wait 7 days. After it is built into a pistol, enjoy it, no need for an HQL to own it.

And it doesn't need to be built into a pistol to satisfy the "regulated firearm" exemption of the HQL training.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    No HQL needed to buy a lower, regardless of what it is built into, still have to wait 7 days. After it is built into a pistol, enjoy it, no need for an HQL to own it.

And it doesn't need to be built into a pistol to satisfy the "regulated firearm" exemption of the HQL training.
    thank you!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just one last point, for those thinking about building a pistol caliber AR, dedicated pcc lowers do not require an HQL, nor do they have a 7 day waiting period.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020

Follow up: If I bought a complete AR pistol would I need a HQL then? Is the only way to avoid need for HQL to buy pistol lower (non stripped or stripped - I would go for non stripped) and build it myself?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Follow up: If I bought a complete AR pistol would I need a HQL then? Is the only way to avoid need for HQL to buy pistol lower (non stripped or stripped - I would go for non stripped) and build it myself?

If you buy a complete AR style pistol, then yes an HQL is required, and the pistol need to be on the Maryland handgun Roster.

If you by a full lower that is designated a handgun lower, then you need an HQL and it needs to be on the Maryland Handgun Roster.

A stripped lower (there is NO difference between a pistol and a rifle AR style lower, so drop the pistol part) does not require an HQL, just a 7 day wait.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    If you buy a complete AR style pistol, then yes an HQL is required, and the pistol need to be on the Maryland handgun Roster.

If you by a full lower that is designated a handgun lower, then you need an HQL and it needs to be on the Maryland Handgun Roster.

A stripped lower (there is NO difference between a pistol and a rifle AR style lower, so drop the pistol part) does not require an HQL, just a 7 day wait.
    thanks very much

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    And if build a lower into a pistol do NOT put a stock on it. It would be considered a short barreled rifle-SBR. Which would require a stamp. A brace is needed. Dblas is correct. Purchasing any complete pistol, whether AR based, handgun based, PCC based needs an HQL. Also make sure you purchase the lower as “other”. Not rifle. You can then switch back and forth between pistol and rifle configs- if start as rifle lower can only be made into a rifle. Start as pistol config first. A great friend on here said he takes pics of his initial pistol set up for cya if changes to rifle after. Off topic sorry. Late and cannot effing sleep

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom