• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    So my buddies nephew (22) who is in our hunts with us for rifle season every year lives in PA, we hunt in MD. He said he is not coming this year because he is on unsupervised probation for a DUI and prohibited from possessing a firearm. From what I know it is his only DUI and only criminal offense on his record. I do not see a reason why he wouldn't be able to bow hunting during gun season in MD. I told him it would probably be best to confirm with his PO but she may not know or give the correct answer. I figured this would be a good place to get an opinion.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    So my buddies nephew (22) who is in our hunts with us for rifle season every year lives in PA, we hunt in MD. He said he is not coming this year because he is on unsupervised probation for a DUI and prohibited from possessing a firearm. From what I know it is his only DUI and only criminal offense on his record. I do not see a reason why he wouldn't be able to bow hunting during gun season in MD. I told him it would probably be best to confirm with his PO but she may not know or give the correct answer. I figured this would be a good place to get an opinion.

I would say he could use a bow or a crossbow as long it says firearm and not deadly weapon.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I meant to post this in Outdoor Sports, if the admins could move it. I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the input regardless of location

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Its legal to bow hunt during rifle season, I do it all the time. It is also legal to possess a crossbow. There is no background check required or anything for a MD hunting license or a crossbow purchase.

Be sure to follow all the rules, like safety orange, during firearms season.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Am I the only one who finds it ridicilous that this is part of someones probation? If they haven't committed a violent crime involving injury, theft, property damage or something actually involving a gun or assault.... why can't he use a firearm for sporting purposes?

well, being denied the ability to do something one wants to do is inherently part of a punishment and deterrent. In reality, most laws present a choice: avoid bad behavior and also avoid the punishment.

I do find permanent prohibition ridiculous. But temporary prohibition is fine as a punishment. My advice would be: dont drink and drive, that shit kills people.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Am I the only one who finds it ridicilous that this is part of someones probation? If they haven't committed a violent crime involving injury, theft, property damage or something actually involving a gun or assault.... why can't he use a firearm for sporting purposes?

While I definitely don't condone drink and driving, I tend to agree with you. The punishment should fit the crime. Drinking and Driving should be the things restricted.

As for this situation, he is a nice kid from what I know of him. He seems to really look forward and enjoy hunting camp with us so I didn't want him to miss out because he was misinformed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Black Powder guns are not considered firearms either.

Depends on the state. For Maryland that is correct. I don’t know about PA.

It really depends on the language of his probation orders. As mentioned, if it says no firearms and PA doesn’t consider a muzzleloader a firearm, then he should be good to go. If it says no deadly weapons he could try to strangle a deer...but that’s about it. A crossbow or bow is absolutely considered a deadly weapon under any state law.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Is this a PA thing? I have never heard that a DUI would cause someone to be prohibited from possessing a firearm.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Is this a PA thing? I have never heard that a DUI would cause someone to be prohibited from possessing a firearm.

I believe it has to do with him being on probation (unsupervised). His probation officer is the one who told him he was not allowed to possess a firearm. He would not have known otherwise.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Depends on the state. For Maryland that is correct. I don’t know about PA.

It really depends on the language of his probation orders. As mentioned, if it says no firearms and PA doesn’t consider a muzzleloader a firearm, then he should be good to go. If it says no deadly weapons he could try to strangle a deer...but that’s about it. A crossbow or bow is absolutely considered a deadly weapon under any state law.

PA is the same as Maryland in treatment of Muzzleloaders, in general.

Just do not try to use an percussion cap inline muzzleloader during primitive black powder season. Open sights flintlocks only, for which Traditions does have an inline flintlock that is PA legal.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    If he is on probation in MD he may NOT possess a bow or any type of dangerous weapon without the written approval of his probation agent. I have no idea about PA restrictions. But he also may need approval to leave the state...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah... gonna just come out and say it.

Life is SHORT! For all this guy knows this could be his last deer season....last year on this earth.

Highly unlikely he'll come in contact with any LEO, less likely he'd be checked by NRP, .....even less likely they're going to run him to figure out he's on probation.

Fvck em.

Excellent plan for a young man. Gamble on the low risk of “being caught” and finding out what he is doing violates the conditions of his probation. Can guarantee if he does with possession of a deadly weapon and that’s a violation he WILL become a prohibited person. Probably lose his license to drive for a lot longer and also likely end up at least in jail for a few months if not prison for longer.

Which also likely means loss of his job. Possibly house and spouse if he has those.

Perfect plan. Better to double check MD law and talk to his PA probation officer.

To add in, he’d probably want to avoid checking in any deer as that’s leave a trail. So now he also loses his hunting license, has a fine for that, etc. if caught.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Someone might want to brush up on MD law.

If you think anyone is "doing time" for a VOP on a first time offense, you may want to spend more Tim on MD Case Search.

You can be (literally) caught with over one hundred baggies of heroin in Elkton this afternoon and be out by 9AM tomorrow, never show up to court and go about your daily life.

But, by all means, the otherwise law abiding folks should live their lives in constant fear.

If you bothered to read, the OP is discussing someone from PENNSYLVANIA who is on probation for a DUI.

I could be rather wrong, but if possession do a deadly weapon is prohibited while on probation, something tells me they’ll likely suffer some nasty consequences as a result of violating that. It might not be become prohibited for life and years in prison, but I’d be pretty surprised if it didn’t mean a nasty fine, further loss of driving pro elated and likely some amount of jail time. Which might also result in loss of their job.

Also last I checked it’s against board rules to advocate breaking the law.

My point isn’t live in fear, but it is confirm with their probation officer what they are allowed to do under PA law. Then follow that guidance.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sure, I bothered to read. Thread title mentions MD and PA, OP states the hunting will take place in MD.

You're checking is correct, but discussion about laws broke/broken happens, daily.
    He wouldn't be in PA (hunting). I suppose if he were traveling to NY you would suggest PA law succeeds what he can/cannot do IN New York? If this is the case, we've got long time habitual (admitted) offenders.... self included in our midst, open carry of a handgun in neighboring States being the first that comes to mind.

But, by all means, lets live out our lives in fear of the Government and their multiple different overlapping, contradicting and ******** rules.

Probation restrictions apply EVERYWHERE.

If you are prohibited from consuming alcohol while on probation that restriction doesn’t end when you cross state borders (assuming you are allowed to leave the state). Same thing with weapons possession, drug use, committing other crimes being a violation of your probation, etc.

Probation conditions don’t respect state boundaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom