Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Ranges and Clubs > Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc. (AGC)

Notices

Old January 25th, 2018, 02:34 PM   #1
IMBLITZVT

AGC has added a guest fee for 2020.

Ok Everyone I have moved this to its own topic. Please post all posts about the guest badge fee here.

Last edited by IMBLITZVT; February 8th, 2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old December 15th, 2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Art3
Eqinsu Ocha

I will admit some lack of responsibility on my part...I've missed my clubs last two meetings because I was participating in AGC Action Shooting matches

But...is it too late to protest the implementation of a Guest Fee?

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"

I would like to change my gender identity to "Well Regulated Militia."
Old December 15th, 2019, 12:41 PM   #3
MEGARMS
KnowNothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art3 View Post
I will admit some lack of responsibility on my part...I've missed my clubs last two meetings because I was participating in AGC Action Shooting matches

Short answer - yes it is too late.

There are a lot of folks who are unhappy about the way this was implemented. Seems as if the fix was in and some trustees voted in opposition to what their general membership wanted. I know this was the case with my club and I know your trustee voted for it as well.

To be fair, something needed to be done to curb the abuse of the previous guest policy, but this new one punishes everyone. IMHO, it is bullshit that we donít get at least a handful of free guest passes per year, per badge holder. I believe everyone could have lived with that and I was under the impression that my club would not accept anything less than that. That said, my impression was wrong.

In the beginning, this policy was to curb guest involved range violations; in the end it became about generating revenue either through guest fees or encouraging freeloaders to by a range badge. Never heard anyone bring up how many current badge holders may not renew because they canít bring a guest or two on their 4-5 annual trips to the AGC. Only time will tell, and even then there is no way to measure if this was a good move or not.

All you can do about stuff like this is become more involved in your clubs leadership. We had elections last week and every single board member ran unopposed. We really have no room to complain if we donít take part in the process.
Old December 15th, 2019, 01:07 PM   #4
John from MD
American Patriot

All clubs have the same problem getting people to volunteer for officer and board positions. Mostly you get retirees as they can make the meetings and don't work and kids to worry about.

I don't have an answer other than to suggest that clubs move to on line meetings so people won't have to drive out to a range house 1, 2 + hours from their house. Then you may get willing to run for office.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
Old December 15th, 2019, 01:32 PM   #5
Stoveman
TV Personality

Quote:

Damn, I didn't even know this was being considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGARMS View Post

There are a lot of folks who are unhappy about the way this was implemented. Seems as if the fix was in and some trustees voted in opposition to what their general membership wanted. I know this was the case with my club and I know your trustee voted for it as well.

To be fair, something needed to be done to curb the abuse of the previous guest policy, but this new one punishes everyone. IMHO, it is bullshit that we donít get at least a handful of free guest passes per year, per badge holder. I believe everyone could have lived with that and I was under the impression that my club would not accept anything less than that. That said, my impression was wrong.

In the beginning, this policy was to curb guest involved range violations; in the end it became about generating revenue either through guest fees or encouraging freeloaders to by a range badge. Never heard anyone bring up how many current badge holders may not renew because they canít bring a guest or two on their 4-5 annual trips to the AGC. Only time will tell, and even then there is no way to measure if this was a good move or not.

All you can do about stuff like this is become more involved in your clubs leadership. We had elections last week and every single board member ran unopposed. We really have no room to complain if we donít take part in the process.

Let's name names. Art3 and I belong to the same club, Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club.

I just renewed my membership last month which will be the last time.

Mess with God's hour you get the Sig Sauer - Jack Wilson (probably)
Old December 15th, 2019, 01:36 PM   #6
Mr. Ed
This IS my Happy Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
I just renewed my membership last month which will be the last time.
I think membership in MSI now qualifies as an associated club.

Old December 15th, 2019, 01:38 PM   #7
Art3
Eqinsu Ocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGARMS View Post

Thank you for the response. I really wish I had been paying attention sooner (it makes me feel almost like a Virginian ). That part is, indeed, my fault, and I don't want it to sound like I'm arguing with you personally...but I think you knew that we're cool

My father shoots as a guest with us at AGC maybe six or so times a year. Mom comes along every once it a while. It certainly does not make economic sense for either of them to get their own badge. If it's going to cost $80-100 to keep them involved...Katie and I are both members of SLFSA, which is just as far from us as AGC and guests are free. There aren't as many shooting positions, but the rifle range goes out to 300 yards. I guess I know where Mom and Dad will be shooting from now on.

It's not only the cost, it's the principal...but cost and principal are related, especially in my father's mind. Both of my parents are and have been Monumental members. We haven't renewed yet...and we are all going to have to have a chat about it. Now that MSI is an associated club that qualifies for range badge purchase, Katie and I could use that to renew our badges (we've earned free MSI renewal through volunteering), and put the money we'd have spent on MRPC dues for the four of us to paying the guest fee...our buying Dad a membership at SLFSA.

What about expanding the sport? I've brought a few new shooters to AGC, but I'm not making a business of it. Maybe some will choose to become members. Maybe some will just want to join me a time or two as a refresher. What if I can convince and Anti to come out and give it a try and maybe open their minds...I still have to pay for that?

It's not like having a couple of guests occupies any more lanes than if I was shooting by myself. If they commit infractions, it should count against my badge and get it revoked, if need be. Those are the existing rules that should be enforced, and the "problem" should resolve itself through attrition. How is taxing it going to change anything? Will that pay for stricter enforcement?

I never thought I'd be one of the old guys bitchin' about rising fees at AGC...but...here I am Isn't the incrementally increasing badge fee, plus Action Shooting revenue enough?

Again, MEGARMS, I'm not directing my venting at you...but I am definitely venting. The family friendly nature of AGC changed my life when we joined almost 8 years ago. I was euphoric to watch the realm evolve with steel, Action Shooting...even machine guns. This is the first time it's rained on my dream.

Old December 15th, 2019, 01:38 PM   #8
rseymorejr

Quote:

A guest fee? WTF? this is the first I'm hearing about this.
Money grubbing bastards. I guess I'll be checking out other places now.

Member-Mount Washington Rod & Gun Club
Member- Maryland Shall Issue
ROLL TIDE!!
Old December 15th, 2019, 01:39 PM   #9
Stoveman
TV Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
I think membership in MSI now qualifies as an associated club.

It does and is what I will use for 2021 and to whomever is going to be the Trustee for MSI here's my position - GUEST FEES ARE BULLSHIT!!!

Mess with God's hour you get the Sig Sauer - Jack Wilson (probably)
Old December 15th, 2019, 01:39 PM   #10
Art3
Eqinsu Ocha

Heh! I do feel a little vindicated seeing that other irate members chimed in the some of my points as I was typing them :

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Ranges and Clubs > Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc. (AGC)