• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    It starts out saying "In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located." 54 U.S.C. 104906.

Then goes on to say "Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in National Park Service facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities." 18 U.S.C. 930.

So if someone were to visit Fort McHenry or any similar "national park" a carry permit isn't much good. So unless you want to wander through some national park forest or comb some national park beaches looking for seashells leave your guns at home?

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    You can carry in National Parks if you are legally able to carry in the state that the park is in. You are not allowed to carry in any buildings (facilities) though bathrooms are excepted.

So if you are allowed to carry in MD, you could carry on the grounds of Fort McHenry but not in the visitor center.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    You can carry in National Parks if you are legally able to carry in the state that the park is in. You are not allowed to carry in any buildings (facilities) though bathrooms are excepted.

So if you are allowed to carry in MD, you could carry on the grounds of Fort McHenry but not in the visitor center.

Not a lawyer but pretty sure this is correct though I doubt that bathrooms inside of other buildings are allowed. Best bet is to call a Park and talk to one of their LEs about park policy

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    though bathrooms are excepted.

thinking but not sure that bathrooms INSIDE of facilities are off limits. perhaps portajons or the like OUTSIDE are ok.

we were at new river gorge late summer and they had the building (visitor center) posted, before you got to the bathrooms. i may or may not have paid attention, but the sign was there.

again the bad guy that is going to shoot up the place and risk a life sentence (or death penalty) isn't going to care about the extra year he'll get for not following the 'no guns' sign, so not really sure why we waste time with these.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Maryland doesn't allow carry in state parks, so pretty sure we cant carry in Fed parks within MD.

As long as you have a valid CCW that is recognized by the state of Maryland, you can carry in National Parks in Maryland.

Davsco is correct about bathrooms inside other facilities, I was referring to free-standing bathrooms and those that are located on the outside of other buildings.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    It starts out saying "In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located." 54 U.S.C. 104906.

Then goes on to say "Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in National Park Service facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities." 18 U.S.C. 930.

So if someone were to visit Fort McHenry or any similar "national park" a carry permit isn't much good. So unless you want to wander through some national park forest or comb some national park beaches looking for seashells leave your guns at home?

http://mdrules.elaws.us/comar/08.07.06.04

A. Definition. In this regulation, "weapon" means:

(1) A device capable of propelling a projectile at high velocity by mechanical means, by explosion, or by expanding gas, including, but not limited to a firearm, crossbow, or longbow;

(2) A dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade, sand club, metal knuckles, razor, or nunchaku; and

(3) A device capable of:

(a) Inflicting death or bodily harm to an individual;

(b) Maiming or destroying wildlife; or

(c) Destroying property.

B. Except as provided in Regulation .03 of this chapter and in C and D of this regulation, an individual other than a law enforcement officer may not possess a weapon in a State park. The Service may approve an exception for an archery range, firearms range, or an exhibition.

C. During hunting season, a licensed hunter may carry firearms and bows and arrows across State parks in order to get to hunting areas or to other State or private property which is open to hunting. The firearms shall be carried unloaded and cased, or carried unloaded with breech open or broken. Arrows shall be carried in a quiver or case.

D. Target shooting is permitted at designated shooting ranges. The regulations governing the use of these ranges shall be posted and strictly observed.

I take to mean state parks are a gun free zone as it makes no exception for permit holders. This link was pulled straight from the MSP website, for whatever that's worth.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    State Parks are not National Parks. As long as you have a valid permit to carry in a state you can carry in the National Parks in that state.

100% correct. A Marylander with a permit would not be able to legally carry in Patapsco State Park but would be able to carry on the grounds of Ft. McHenry.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    State Parks are not National Parks. As long as you have a valid permit to carry in a state you can carry in the National Parks in that state.

100% correct. A Marylander with a permit would not be able to legally carry in Patapsco State Park but would be able to carry on the grounds of Ft. McHenry.

:thumbsup:

For Fort McHenry, the fort itself falls under 18 USC 930 as park employees are continuously in it. There is a nice paved trail around the grounds though.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

It's even a little weirder than that. They first have to be posted. Then, in my experience any of the buildings that are done as concessions such as lodge, gift shop, restaurant, etc they are not the same as those buildings which are run by "the government".

It's really clear at Big Meadows, for instance. The visitors center is clearly marked with signs. None of the other buildings that are run by Delaware North, the concession company that manages everything, are posted.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    As for carry in National Park Buildings being forbidden, I believe that applies to buildings in which park employees are assigned to work, such as visitor centers, restaurants, basically anywhere you would want to carry. I don't believe it applies to "unmanned" buildings.

It is a really stupid regulation.

Edit: Norton posted while I was writing. It seems my confused understanding is more restrictive than his explanation. Norton, are you saying that off-limits buildings must be posted?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    As for carry in National Park Buildings being forbidden, I believe that applies to buildings in which park employees are assigned to work, such as visitor centers, restaurants, basically anywhere you would want to carry. I don't believe it applies to "unmanned" buildings.

It is a really stupid regulation.

Edit: Norton posted while I was writing. It seems my confused understanding is more restrictive than his explanation. Norton, are you saying that off-limits buildings must be posted?

See highlighted parts of attached federal statute, 18 U.S.C. 930.

Attachments

• 18_USCA_s_930_2-24-13_1417federalbuildings.pdf
      32.5 KB · Views: 106

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Every National Park I've visited has been clearly marked FWIW. Harper's Ferry for instance has large prohibiting signs on the door of every building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom