Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 21st, 2020, 01:53 PM #1

Depression thoughts

Its Saturday and we are cleaning out the house.

Making piles of stuff to go to goodwill, trash and of course bug out items.

Its actually quite depressing going through your life one item at a time and making a decision if it comes with you or stays behind.

Its actually quite difficult and at times I find myself paralyzed by this almost overwhelmed feeling and want to stop this "exercise" we started.

Don't beat me up too bad, Just wondering if anyone else feeling a little blue doing the same thing as me.

Edited to emphasize the leaving your life behind should it come time to walk away from your house.

thanks

Last edited by DENWA; March 21st, 2020 at 04:51 PM.
DENWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2020, 02:04 PM #2
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

I learned this lesson last year when I knew I was going to move. It is refreshing and empowering getting rid of sh*t you haven't used or even touched in years. Going light is the way to go.
What did it for me was when both my parents died. It ended up being a fcking burden to me going through all the crap they kept that they thought was valuable. I threw everything away. Even stuff sentimental to them. It wasn't sentimental to me.
I talked to my daughter about this scenario and she said she wanted none of my crap. She knows the meat and potatoes she's going to get. But I promised myself(for her benefit) to throw junk out so she doesn't have to do it for me.
THIS is what really made me feel good. Not knowing she has to feel bad for throwing away junk I thought I would need or thought was of some value.

There's a reason why people call them "junk drawers". They are just filled with junk! If you haven't used or even touched something in years, then it's a pretty good bet you can chuck it.
Throw stuff away with reckless abandon and don't look back.
Old March 21st, 2020, 02:11 PM #3

Man, I i've been in the same house since 1991 and a couple of years from moving and I'm trying to thin it down now. We just finished selling my moms house yesterday. Sshe had been there since 1965 and it was so hard to clean it all out took the better part of the year and most of it no one really cared about. Hauled to the dump eventually.
And fired the shot heard 'round the world."
rifelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2020, 02:18 PM #4
Deplorable Welder

Deplorable Welder

As I age (60) I am finding I want to sell and get rid of "Stuff" like Blaster has stated because you have lots of stuff you really don't win regardless of what the young pups say . Thin the herd is the way .

Iron Sharpens Iron
welder516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2020, 02:33 PM #5
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

I threw old pictures/yearbooks away and all. Guess what ? I have yet to catch myself saying "Gee. I think I'll go dig out those old books and pictures to reminisce.
I kept some actual pictures. I kept like 2 of my parents. Chucked the rest. I have memories in my mind, not in "stuff". Let the past go so you can channel that energy for the future.
Old March 21st, 2020, 02:51 PM #6

I've finally decided I don't really need a ton of items to live my life. Last year I sold off tools I've had that I don't use and downsized to only the tools that are actually useful to me. I'm slowly doing the same thing with other items in my life. The only things off limits to being downsized are my guns.

I had 15-20 boxes from previous moves that never got unpacked once they got to the new house. I finally went through them a few months ago and 90-95% of the stuff went in the trash. The other 5-10% was stuff that I had been looking for and had no clue where it was. It was actually nice to get rid of stuff, kind of like a weight off my shoulders knowing I wouldn't have to waste time boxing it up and moving it to the next house when I move.
Old March 21st, 2020, 02:52 PM #7

Honestly for me going through and cleaning out the stuff I don't use anymore is more liberating than depressing. I could easily fit the "things" in my life that I care about into a single small room without any issues. Plus, sometimes you find stuff you thought you had lost ages ago!

Its much better than doing what my late father-in-law did which was to take all the stuff from his parents house when they passed and shove it in his basement. He then proceeded to live in his house for another 30+ years adding all his stuff to the pile. When my wife and I cleaned out his house it took TWO 30 yard dumpsters to haul it all away. Half of it had water damage and the rest was just old. Not sentimental.

If you are truly depressed about letting something go you need to ask yourself if it should really go. If it should go and you are still depressed maybe you should be talking to a professional.
mdbassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2020, 02:54 PM #8

Just did this last fall. Need another round to finish. It is amazing how much stuff gathers. It wasn't as hard for me, as it was on the wife. I guess she holds more sentimental value for some items that I do not. We'd find her pulling items back out of the dumpster. Projects / crafts that have been sitting on the to do list for years. Even for me, I found myself doing double takes on things to toss. Eventually it came down to ; "If I haven't touched it for over a year, I wouldn't be doing it in the next, toss it."

The hardest thing for me. The cable box. You know, the box of misc. cables that 'you might need' someday. Yeah, don't think I really needed to hold onto those Parallel printer cables all those years.
scout6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2020, 02:59 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbassplayer View Post
Its much better than doing what my late father-in-law did which was to take all the stuff from his parents house when they passed and shove it in his basement. He then proceeded to live in his house for another 30+ years adding all his stuff to the pile. When my wife and I cleaned out his house it took TWO 30 yard dumpsters to haul it all away. Half of it had water damage and the rest was just old. Not sentimental.
This is what I did when my aunt died. She was living in my grandparent's house and never threw away anything when my grandmother died. So she just kept adding stuff to it. My brother and I spend weeks cleaning out all of the stuff. I think it took us two 30 yard dumpsters over the course of like 6 months. Plus all of the trips to the dump for items that couldn't go in the dumpsters. Every time we thought we were almost done there would be more. It felt like it was multiplying. My mom and aunts wanted to keep a lot of stuff due to sentimental reasons (or worse thought it was an antique and worth money) but had nowhere to put it so I threw it in the dumpster. I had no attachment to any of it.
Old March 21st, 2020, 03:04 PM #10
Peace through strength

Peace through strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout6 View Post
Just did this last fall. Need another round to finish. It is amazing how much stuff gathers. It wasn't as hard for me, as it was on the wife. I guess she holds more sentimental value for some items that I do not. We'd find her pulling items back out of the dumpster. Projects / crafts that have been sitting on the to do list for years. Even for me, I found myself doing double takes on things to toss. Eventually it came down to ; "If I haven't touched it for over a year, I wouldn't be doing it in the next, toss it."

The hardest thing for me. The cable box. You know, the box of misc. cables that 'you might need' someday. Yeah, don't think I really needed to hold onto those Parallel printer cables all those years.
I still have a cable box, but ditched many others just a few months ago.

For me, I have a ton of computer science text books and college papers - they're gonna go someday, but not yet.

I did get rid of a crap load of old tech manuals and such.

My VAX, Alpha, and Itanium machines are collecting dust and will be for a long time. Can't bring myself to ditch them.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers