• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    I was just told by my boss that I would be given permission to conceal carry while working. I work at a pharmacy but am not always in the store.

I am a little confused on the law. Would I only be able to carry while in the building or would it include when I am on the clock?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I was just told by my boss that I would be given permission to conceal carry while working. I work at a pharmacy but am not always in the store.

I am a little confused on the law. Would I only be able to carry while in the building or would it include when I am on the clock?

If you're going to carry off of the business's premises, you'll need to apply for a Wear & Carry permit. Your boss's participation in you getting it would be pretty much essential.

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    If you're going to carry off of the business's premises, you'll need to apply for a Wear & Carry permit. Your boss's participation in you getting it would be pretty much essential.

Yes I would be applying for a wear and carry before I even carry at work.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yes I would be applying for a wear and carry before I even carry at work.

If you are successful in getting the permit, it will likely come with restrictions related to your only carrying while doing work for the company. Now, if you're on call 24x7 and could show you were in the unlikely event anything comes up while you're carrying outside of the workplace, you'd likely be within those restrictions. You might be able to pull off an unrestricted permit if the boss will support describing you as management (with late night access, bank access, or other things that are more risky than simply working for the company).

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    If you are successful in getting the permit, it will likely come with restrictions related to your only carrying while doing work for the company. Now, if you're on call 24x7 and could show you were in the unlikely event anything comes up while you're carrying outside of the workplace, you'd likely be within those restrictions. You might be able to pull off an unrestricted permit if the boss will support describing you as management (with late night access, bank access, or other things that are more risky than simply working for the company).

this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I am definitely expecting to have restrictions but I am on call pretty much 24/7 and am usually transporting medication a few times a week but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just on principle, you should spend a few bucks and join MSI (Maryland Shall Issue), since they are fighting the good fight to make what you're trying to do less Maryland-style absurd. But also: once you're a member, you can reach out to them for some guidance on how to make the most of your application process, in hopes of a less burdensome set of restrictions, if any. MSI is working for you already, but they need our support.

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    Just on principle, you should spend a few bucks and join MSI (Maryland Shall Issue), since they are fighting the good fight to make what you're trying to do less Maryland-style absurd. But also: once you're a member, you can reach out to them for some guidance on how to make the most of your application process, in hopes of a less burdensome set of restrictions, if any. MSI is working for you already, but they need our support.

I'm definitely gonna join them!

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    I’m sure you trust your boss but I would feel more comfortable getting something in writing. Something that might cover you in the event of a shooting. Civil lawsuits is what buries most people.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The designated Supervisory Employees can carry on the Business Premises w/o need of a W&C .

For carry outside of the imeadate premises , a W&C is required . With the Letter and documentation requested of the Employer , you will default recieve " Valid while conducting business as ( your title) for ( your employer ) .

If you/ employer wish for 24/7 , them whole lot more of convincing explaining , and possibly appealing .

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Ask your boss whether the co’s liability ins will cover you should you need it. The co should want it since you are its agent acting within the scope of your employment and it too will be liable for your actions. If not, ask whether the co will add a rider. If not available, maybe it will pay to cover you under one of the policies issued by organizations like the NRA. But read the policy. Insurance can be not what you expect when u need it. You want civil and criminal defense and civil liability. Cripple someone and liability could run into the millios for lifetime care. Bail would also be nice, but prob not necessary.

Bigkach

May 20, 2020
    Reisterstown
    Ask your boss whether the co’s liability ins will cover you should you need it. The co should want it since you are its agent acting within the scope of your employment and it too will be liable for your actions. If not, ask whether the co will add a rider. If not available, maybe it will pay to cover you under one of the policies issued by organizations like the NRA. But read the policy. Insurance can be not what you expect when u need it. You want civil and criminal defense and civil liability. Cripple someone and liability could run into the millios for lifetime care. Bail would also be nice, but prob not necessary.

I'll definitely have to look into it.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I am definitely expecting to have restrictions but I am on call pretty much 24/7 and am usually transporting medication a few times a week but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Don't go into it expecting restrictions. Apply for an unrestricted CCW for your business purposes, granted your boss can provide the necessary written support for such a thing.

Restrictions can get even the most law abiding citizen in trouble. What if you have to get groceries on your way home from work, or stop at a friends, or do any number of other things besides going straight home, which would put you outside of the "while engaged in business activity" requirement?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    you could.. have him make you co-owner. i think that also removes the restrictions as of Aug 2019. They removed restrictions for buisness owners, as a co-owner you would have no restrictions either i THINK. not 100% sure about the part with "co-owner".

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    First application in 2012 I had my father one of the owners write up a letter to facilitate the chances of getting a permit . They called him to make sure he still was okay with doing so . It will be a very easy thing for you to do .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom