Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:16 PM #1

School sent police on welfare check because of meeting video

Ok, so I used to frequent here quite often and lurk still some time to time but I want to know how you all would react. I am copying my wife's FB post since she was home when this occurred. I removed any names or school info. How would you feel?

Her post:

"I thought long and hard about sharing this, but I decided to do so for many reasons. While it is deeply personal, please let it be a note to teachers, parents, and students.

Today my house was searched by the police. Courtesy of #******elementaryschool.

While my son was on a zoom call, a "concerned parent" and subsequently two teachers saw his properly stowed and mounted RED RIDER BB GUN and one other BB gun in the background. He was not holding them and never intentionally showed them on video. In fact, he was oblivious that they could even be seen in the background. From the angle in which he was on video, it was not even evident which room of MY HOME he was in. So Principal ********* decided it best to call the police to have my home searched for dangerous weapons.

The Principal and his teacher, cited that "just as he cannot BRING guns to school, he cannot BRING them to virtual meetings as well and this is in the handbook". After a close review of the handbook, it DO NOT ADDRESS ANYTHING REGARDING VIRTUAL LEARNING! Not to mention, he did not BRING anything to this meeting and he is in his own home. They were simply in the background in our home, safely stowed in a room behind a closed door, with no ammunition (if you can even call it that).
The officers that responded were appalled at the call and even commended the set up that my son has for his TOYS and commended him also on his respect and understanding of the BB guns! He is a boy scout. He is an outdoors / all-boy kind of kid and as his parents and by way of legal rights, he is allowed to own said guns. He is IN HIS OWN HOME supervised by a parent. I asked the Principal why a phone call could not have occurred rather than having my house searched By the police and he said that was not their policy. Who knew they had a policy on barely seeing a BB gun in the background of a zoom call? The officers were more than nice, and though they did not have a warrant, I have always been taught to not only comply, but had nothing to hide and allowed them to look wherever they wanted to.
I have spoken with his teacher and his Principal and Vice Principal. I feel extremely violated and so does my son. Virtual learning may work well for you, but make sure nothing in your home offends anyone and you may spend the next couple of weeks circumventing the invasion and violation that I did today. My child and my home will no longer be subjected to video to allow room for any other violation of my rights and how I LEGALLY manage my home."
MDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:19 PM #2

The education industry is filled with some of the dumbest bastards I have ever come across. I'm really going to hate dealing with them while my kids are in school.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:20 PM #3
eloh22a

eloh22a

Out the school so, if true, we can send a crap ton of emails and complaints
sundazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:25 PM #4
Old Appalachia

Old Appalachia

Outrageous. Glad your wife is pushing back on this intrusion into your family and home life.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:27 PM #5
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

My son has this flag in his room. I told him to make sure it doesn’t get on zoom during school.

I hope they knock first.
Attached Images

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: It’s the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a person’s heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:27 PM #6
Long Shot

Long Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDROB View Post
Ok, so I used to frequent here quite often and lurk still some time to time but I want to know how you all would react. I am copying my wife's FB post since she was home when this occurred. I removed any names or school info. How would you feel?

Her post:

"I thought long and hard about sharing this, but I decided to do so for many reasons. While it is deeply personal, please let it be a note to teachers, parents, and students.

Today my house was searched by the police. Courtesy of #******elementaryschool.

While my son was on a zoom call, a "concerned parent" and subsequently two teachers saw his properly stowed and mounted RED RIDER BB GUN and one other BB gun in the background. He was not holding them and never intentionally showed them on video. In fact, he was oblivious that they could even be seen in the background. From the angle in which he was on video, it was not even evident which room of MY HOME he was in. So Principal ********* decided it best to call the police to have my home searched for dangerous weapons.

The Principal and his teacher, cited that "just as he cannot BRING guns to school, he cannot BRING them to virtual meetings as well and this is in the handbook". After a close review of the handbook, it DO NOT ADDRESS ANYTHING REGARDING VIRTUAL LEARNING! Not to mention, he did not BRING anything to this meeting and he is in his own home. They were simply in the background in our home, safely stowed in a room behind a closed door, with no ammunition (if you can even call it that).
The officers that responded were appalled at the call and even commended the set up that my son has for his TOYS and commended him also on his respect and understanding of the BB guns! He is a boy scout. He is an outdoors / all-boy kind of kid and as his parents and by way of legal rights, he is allowed to own said guns. He is IN HIS OWN HOME supervised by a parent. I asked the Principal why a phone call could not have occurred rather than having my house searched By the police and he said that was not their policy. Who knew they had a policy on barely seeing a BB gun in the background of a zoom call? The officers were more than nice, and though they did not have a warrant, I have always been taught to not only comply, but had nothing to hide and allowed them to look wherever they wanted to.
I have spoken with his teacher and his Principal and Vice Principal. I feel extremely violated and so does my son. Virtual learning may work well for you, but make sure nothing in your home offends anyone and you may spend the next couple of weeks circumventing the invasion and violation that I did today. My child and my home will no longer be subjected to video to allow room for any other violation of my rights and how I LEGALLY manage my home."

DON"T let the cops in without a warrent...
fred2207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:31 PM #7
American Patriot

American Patriot

Can she file suit claiming she was intimidated into a warrant less search of her house?

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:32 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2207 View Post
DON"T let the cops in without a warrent...
I understand that we had every right to refuse them entry. However we had 3 kids at home and have always taught them to respect authority if you have done nothing wrong. We are a veteran family and love our country. We believe all police deserve respect unless the situation deems differently. We had nothing to hide and the officers were as annoyed as we were.
MDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:38 PM #9

Quote:
I understand that we had every right to refuse them entry. However we had 3 kids at home and have always taught them to respect authority if you have done nothing wrong. We are a veteran family and love our country. We believe all police deserve respect unless the situation deems differently. We had nothing to hide and the officers were as annoyed as we were.
I'm sure they were pissed

Like cops have nothing better to due during a Nationwide medical pandemic and ongoing rioting than look at a kid's BB gun

The dumb part is that the principle loses credibility with the cops the next time he calls when there might be an actual problem

Morons
Skipjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:39 PM #10
Long Shot

Long Shot

Quote:

To each their own. No police have the right/authority to search your house for any reason, without a warrant or consent... If you or your wife gave search consent, you have nothing to complain about..
fred2207 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland