• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDShooter

May 13, 2020
    I am seeking a long range to test a long range rifle I recently purchased. Any suggestions on long shooting ranges? I am in capital/central MD area.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I would say... test at 25 then 100 yards. Confirm at ranges beyond that. Some call 100yards “long range” while others say long range doesn’t start until 1,000 yards.

I tend to buy guns for ranges I have access too, not for ones I want access too.

That being said, if you can’t hold 1/2... even 1 moa CONSTANTLY at 100.... start there.

Let me know when you have 10 five shot groups all under 1 moa. First round should be cold bore followed by 4 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    www.peacemakernational.com below hagerstown and above winchester. they have 'frontier' days where you can use their 1k+ range that has a bunch of steel set out. they also do long range challenge (lrc) that is a fun match, all belly/prone.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Locally, you will mainly find a maximum of 200 yards. AGC and Hap Baker each go to 200 yards. To go farther, you'll need to drive. Delmarva sporting clays has a 500 yard public range. Quantico, Peacemaker, and a place in central PA have 1k ranges.

What rifle and glass are you running? Have you shot long range before? I would do what Moorvogi recommended and get consistent sub-MOA groups at 100 then at 200 yards before really pushing it out. I would recommend shooting for groups rather than hitting the bulls eye as you will figure out how to get consistent and then tweak your scope settings which will help you more in the long run. If you don't have the experience, I would recommend Bang Steel as everything I have read is that they are fantastic. I shoot fairly consistently at Hap Baker and can help if you are interested.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Locally, you will mainly find a maximum of 200 yards. AGC and Hap Baker each go to 200 yards. To go farther, you'll need to drive. Delmarva sporting clays has a 500 yard public range. Quantico, Peacemaker, and a place in central PA have 1k ranges.

What rifle and glass are you running? Have you shot long range before? I would do what Moorvogi recommended and get consistent sub-MOA groups at 100 then at 200 yards before really pushing it out. I would recommend shooting for groups rather than hitting the bulls eye as you will figure out how to get consistent and then tweak your scope settings which will help you more in the long run. If you don't have the experience, I would recommend Bang Steel as everything I have read is that they are fantastic. I shoot fairly consistently at Hap Baker and can help if you are interested.

Yes yes yes. And more of this yes. Don’t be afraid to crank on the knobs and back.

I practice 100, 200, 300, 500, 200, 500, 200, 300. Back and forth. 3 hits counts as “a hit”. Anyone can get lucky eventually woth enough bullets.

3 in a row... is marksmanship.

DDShooter

May 13, 2020

I am new to long range shooting and shot long range only a couple of times before with my friend's rifle.

I now own a .308 Tikka T3X A1 and a Vortex PST II 5-25x50 MOA. I also have a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm. I guess it makes sense to put Vortex on Tikka. Any suggestion on scope mount would be appreciated.

I heard a lot of good things about Bang Steel. Is there any good 101 type of long range shooting tutorial on the internet that I could read before I get into
    lessons?

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I am new to long range shooting and shot long range only a couple of times before with my friend's rifle.

I now own a .308 Tikka T3X A1 and a Vortex PST II 5-25x50 MOA. I also have a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm. I guess it makes sense to put Vortex on Tikka. Any suggestion on scope mount would be appreciated.

I heard a lot of good things about Bang Steel. Is there any good 101 type of long range shooting tutorial on the internet that I could read before I get into
    lessons?

Fundamentals of marksmanship. I thought I knew how to shoot. Then I went to “project Appleseed” and was humbled.

Shooting shotgun clays (on the ground) at 500 yards was MUcH easier after that class. Then “long range is more math and “reading the wind”.

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD

lessons?

Ryan Cleckner has a good book on getting started in Long Range shooting. Technique, terms, rifles, etc. Linked it below. Your gonna want to learn how the equipment works before you start. I love to long range shoot and its 10x as fun when you understand what’s going on. Figuring it out at the range is expensive and not so much fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Range-Shooting-Handbook-Cleckner/dp/151865472X

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017

lessons?

Nice rifle! I think the Vortex is a natural fit for that rifle. I would recommend getting a one-piece mount with a 20-30 MOA inclination so you can maximize the elevation in your scope since the TAC A1 has a 0 moa rail. I would recommend sticking with one of the name brand mounts. Sadly, those do not come cheap ($200-400). If you can find a mount used, that is probably the cheapest option. Something like this is a good mount. Another mount that is probably good is this one.

If you are going to generally be within 500 yards, you could get away with regular rings which come much cheaper. I would recommend the Seekins or vortex PMR rings (both around 100, can be found for less.)

In terms of tutorials, Snipershide.com has a knowledge center that you have to pay for. I have the Long range shooting handbook that Robertjeter listed as well. TBH, just work on your fundamentals with each shot. Trigger control, breathing, cheek weld, etc. Just getting range time at a single distance and getting comfortable and getting good groups is the best first stepping stone.

As an aside, I would recommend paying for the match grade ammo as you practice and work at it. This way you wont second guess if its you or the setup. It costs more, but you'll truly see the difference on the target.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The 1000 yard range is members only, and there is a waitlist for membership.

Not for Frontier days or their Long Range Challenge. Those are open to the public (for a fee of course)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

lessons?

I’ve also heard good things about Bang Steel although I’ve never shot there. Peacemaker offers an intro to long range shooting class as well as an intermediate class. Might be worth checking out.

You can get a 20MOA or 30MOA rail from EGW guns and then use scope rings of your choice. That will allow you to have enough elevation adjustment in your scope.
    I have a Gen 1 Vortex Vioer PST 4x24x50 on my Ruger Precision Rifle in .308.
    It came with a 20MOA rail and I replaced it with a 30 MOA version. I can dial up elevation out past 1200 yards without any issues.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    You can get a 20MOA or 30MOA rail from EGW guns and then use scope rings of your choice. That will allow you to have enough elevation adjustment in your scope.

From what I have read, the TAC A1 cannot get a new rail without some machining due to the rail on the hand guard. It is possible, but is a custom fit. It will be easier to just get a mount with the inclination included.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    From what I have read, the TAC A1 cannot get a new rail without some machining due to the rail on the hand guard. It is possible, but is a custom fit. It will be easier to just get a mount with the inclination included.

I’m not familiar with that rifle but I would think that the EGW rail would be drop in. It’s an aftermarket part, I’m sure they took that into account.
    You could always call or email EGW.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    The 1000 yard range is members only, and there is a waitlist for membership.

Not for Frontier days or their Long Range Challenge. Those are open to the public (for a fee of course)

yes, frontier days and their long range challenge are held off-campus at their 1.2k 'frontier' range; not at their on-campus 1k range which is members-only. membership NOT needed for these two events, but of course they charge for these events.

DDShooter

May 13, 2020
    Nice rifle! I think the Vortex is a natural fit for that rifle. I would recommend getting a one-piece mount with a 20-30 MOA inclination so you can maximize the elevation in your scope since the TAC A1 has a 0 moa rail. I would recommend sticking with one of the name brand mounts. Sadly, those do not come cheap ($200-400). If you can find a mount used, that is probably the cheapest option. Something like this is a good mount. Another mount that is probably good is this one.

If you are going to generally be within 500 yards, you could get away with regular rings which come much cheaper. I would recommend the Seekins or vortex PMR rings (both around 100, can be found for less.)

In terms of tutorials, Snipershide.com has a knowledge center that you have to pay for. I have the Long range shooting handbook that Robertjeter listed as well. TBH, just work on your fundamentals with each shot. Trigger control, breathing, cheek weld, etc. Just getting range time at a single distance and getting comfortable and getting good groups is the best first stepping stone.

As an aside, I would recommend paying for the match grade ammo as you practice and work at it. This way you wont second guess if its you or the setup. It costs more, but you'll truly see the difference on the target.

I did some research on MPA and Seekins scope mounts you suggested, and used the tool at http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator to size the mount for Vortex PST II 5-25x50 MOA (30mm tube, 2.3” objective bell) (https://vortexoptics.com/catalog/product/view/id/1140?vortex_reticle=1503). MPA has three options for 30 mm tube: 1.060″, 1.125”, and 1.250”. The 1.250” mount only gives a clearance of 0.02” (assuming 2mm wrap thinkness of scope cover). I guess that’s not enough, not to mention to add a 20 MOA cant to the mount. Seekins 30mm MXM Cantilever with 20 MOA has a height of 1.45”, which gives a clearance of 0.22” (5.62mm). It seems that 1.45” is about standard height for AR. Would this (0.22” or 5.62mm clearance) be too high for bolt action rifles like Tikka T3X A1?

I read some articles about one piece scope mounts on bolt action rifles. It seems that one disadvantage is that the one piece mount would interfere with bolts. That being said, should I go with rings? I guess it is not easy to get a 20 MOA cant with rings, so I should get a one piece mount.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I did some research on MPA and Seekins scope mounts you suggested, and used the tool at http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator to size the mount for Vortex PST II 5-25x50 MOA (30mm tube, 2.3” objective bell) (https://vortexoptics.com/catalog/product/view/id/1140?vortex_reticle=1503). MPA has three options for 30 mm tube: 1.060″, 1.125”, and 1.250”. The 1.250” mount only gives a clearance of 0.02” (assuming 2mm wrap thinkness of scope cover). I guess that’s not enough, not to mention to add a 20 MOA cant to the mount. Seekins 30mm MXM Cantilever with 20 MOA has a height of 1.45”, which gives a clearance of 0.22” (5.62mm). It seems that 1.45” is about standard height for AR. Would this (0.22” or 5.62mm clearance) be too high for bolt action rifles like Tikka T3X A1?

I read some articles about one piece scope mounts on bolt action rifles. It seems that one disadvantage is that the one piece mount would interfere with bolts. That being said, should I go with rings? I guess it is not easy to get a 20 MOA cant with rings, so I should get a one piece mount.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

If you have the scope and rifle already, you can stack pennies and use that to determine the height. I use the ARC M10 rings website to determine the height rings (low, medium, high, etc) and then go up the page to figure out the height in decimals so that I can get the height for what I will buy. Note that this only works for a flat setup but you can use it to get a good idea of what a canted mount would need.

TBH, I wouldn't worry too much about the bolt hitting the one piece mount as the action uses a 70 degree throw. The downside with a one piece is you are a little more limited on where the mount rings are on the scope tube, but that's not a big disadvantage when you are getting the cant.

I sent you a PM as I have a set of seekins extra high rings if you want to see if that'll fit your setup

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom