• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    If you keep your jars away from light it takes even longer for any discoloration. And heck, I have eaten stuff like green beans and jelly that was over ten years old and it tasted great k to me and I ain’t dead lol

This is one "The wife's" side of the room and I had to put cabinets and paint it for a finished laundry room. She tried to get me to put in a ceiling but it has return duct work in it and I was like the ceiling will be 6' - 5" high, NO!

I'll probably have to build doors to "clean it up" but neatly stacked cans is nice looking. But she'll probably make me dust it once a month, which I'll make once a year.

It is in the built in side of the basement, no windows and no light in there except when doing laundry or getting in the freezer or extra fridge.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The Wifie put up a half bushel this past weekend. Pickles and beets this weekend.

IMG_6524.JPG

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    This is one "The wife's" side of the room and I had to put cabinets and paint it for a finished laundry room. She tried to get me to put in a ceiling but it has return duct work in it and I was like the ceiling will be 6' - 5" high, NO!

I'll probably have to build doors to "clean it up" but neatly stacked cans is nice looking. But she'll probably make me dust it once a month, which I'll make once a year.

It is in the built in side of the basement, no windows and no light in there except when doing laundry or getting in the freezer or extra fridge.

Mom used to have me go to the store and get cardboard boxes that beer came in and we cut them to lay on top and flap over the jars to keep the light and dust off of them. It worked pretty good keeping the jars clean as I remember it

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    For those finding supplies in short supply, Ace Hardware has quart jars & pints. Target has pint jars.
    Search the locations on line to see what they have near you. I found canning stuff in stores located in areas where canning isn’t much of a thing.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    For those finding supplies in short supply, Ace Hardware has quart jars & pints. Target has pint jars.
    Search the locations on line to see what they have near you. I found canning stuff in stores located in areas where canning isn’t much of a thing.

Anyone looking for canning supplies in southern md, the Amish grocery store on glock drive off of rt 6 between Charlotte hall and dentsville has them

Sneades hardware in lusby had plenty a week or so ago also

And so did southern states in Charlotte hall

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Sooo much butternut squash came in this year. Almost too much. Canned 6 quarts of "yellow velvet" soup tonight and have 2 more quarts in tupperware in the fridge for more immediate consumption. Left 4 jars are still hot, hence the bubble still being up on top.

2 gallons of soup from the most recent harvest, and that was after giving away 9 good-sized butternut squashes already. More is ripening as I type this.

Got a total of 6 gallons of pickles out of my cucumber plants this year before I dug them up. Started running out of mason jars.

If the deer would just let my tomatoes ripen, I'd be set for pasta sauce, but I'll be damned if they aren't savaging them this year even with them in large cages. Going to have to net them next year I guess.

Attachments

• 20200819_210947.jpg
      20200819_210947.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 229

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County

Reading MDS causes me to spend money. After seeing those JarBoxes I had to order some, so thanks wilcam47! I bought 4 of them from an Amazon seller. They arrived today and I’m very pleased so far. They bring order to what was chaos, and let me stack jars as high as my shelving will allow. They also have a little extra space in each partition to accommodate pint jars of any shape. 12 jars per JarBox is a good bit of weight and the plastic is sufficiently robust. The tops and bottoms appear to be interchangeable, and they snap together and separate very easily. (Though it occurs to me now that I could leave the lid off of the one on top for easier access.) Three are already full, with one in reserve. I don’t prefer to use quart jars and only have a few of them full, but I can see getting some JarBoxes for them too.

75e2a85a02f9ce9ea75f9d85c4ba1e8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Reading MDS causes me to spend money. After seeing those JarBoxes I had to order some, so thanks wilcam47! I bought 4 of them from an Amazon seller. They arrived today and I’m very pleased so far. They bring order to what was chaos, and let me stack jars as high as my shelving will allow. They also have a little extra space in each partition to accommodate pint jars of any shape. 12 jars per JarBox is a good bit of weight and the plastic is sufficiently robust. The tops and bottoms appear to be interchangeable, and they snap together and separate very easily. (Though it occurs to me now that I could leave the lid off of the one on top for easier access.) Three are already full, with one in reserve. I don’t prefer to use quart jars and only have a few of them full, but I can see getting some JarBoxes for them too.

nice i was wondering about them. Only thing ive seen that seems like its worth buying.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Sooo much butternut squash came in this year. Almost too much. Canned 6 quarts of "yellow velvet" soup tonight and have 2 more quarts in tupperware in the fridge for more immediate consumption. Left 4 jars are still hot, hence the bubble still being up on top.

2 gallons of soup from the most recent harvest, and that was after giving away 9 good-sized butternut squashes already. More is ripening as I type this.

Got a total of 6 gallons of pickles out of my cucumber plants this year before I dug them up. Started running out of mason jars.

If the deer would just let my tomatoes ripen, I'd be set for pasta sauce, but I'll be damned if they aren't savaging them this year even with them in large cages. Going to have to net them next year I guess.

Butternut squash will last most , if not all, winter in a cool dry place

We used to keep them in boxes in the basement and ate them nearly till spring!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

Damn that’s nice!

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Butternut squash will last most , if not all, winter in a cool dry place

We used to keep them in boxes in the basement and ate them nearly till spring!

Try to leave an inch of stem. Wipe them with a cloth soaked in a weak 5% bleach solution. Then cure them by leaving in a warm dry place for a week rotating occasionally. (I’m convinced this last part makes them sweeter too) Then they will keep all winter in a cool dark place no problem.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Try to leave an inch of stem. Wipe them with a cloth soaked in a weak 5% bleach solution. Then cure them by leaving in a warm dry place for a week rotating occasionally. (I’m convinced this last part makes them sweeter too) Then they will keep all winter in a cool dark place no problem.

I love butternut squash

And in a pinch them hard sob’s can be used to bludgeon someone into submission lol

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Westminster Target has cases of quart jars but no pints. Westminster Walmart has half pint and 3/4 pint (12 oz.) jars but no pints. All within the past 30 minutes.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I just clicked "Buy Now" for 4 cases of smooth-sided pint Ball jars at a rip-off price ($18/case, shipping incl. vs. the normal $11 at a store) on Amazon, tho not as bad as some sellers there, and I guess with shipping it isn't that much of a rip-off price. I'm also tired of store-hopping, and not one of their online inventories (Target, Walmart, TSC, etc.) is reliable. I know that it's the canning season, plus a covid panic-buying effect. But this crap is as scarce now as TP was in May.

5 of these 4-case bundles left in stock right now if anyone wants to jump on them.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I just clicked "Buy Now" for 4 cases of smooth-sided pint Ball jars at a rip-off price ($18/case, shipping incl. vs. the normal $11 at a store) on Amazon, tho not as bad as some sellers there, and I guess with shipping it isn't that much of a rip-off price. I'm also tired of store-hopping, and not one of their online inventories (Target, Walmart, TSC, etc.) is reliable. I know that it's the canning season, plus a covid panic-buying effect. But this crap is as scarce now as TP was in May.

5 of these 4-case bundles left in stock right now if anyone wants to jump on them.

I’m not too far away from you. If you/any MDSer need jars let me know via PM. I got a metric ton back in the spring fearing a shortage this time of year. Got a ton of lids too. I can part with some jars (still waiting on my late summer/fall crops to come in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom