• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    What do I have here? Buddy gave me a couple of boxes. Good AR-10 food?

Attachments

• 20200721_181041.jpg
      20200721_181041.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 398

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    What do I have here? Buddy gave me a couple of boxes. Good AR-10 food?
    I’ve shot a fair amount in all my AR10s. It’s reasonably accurate out of all of them. I had zero FTF ...fire or feed. My one buddy chastised me when I started to put it in my Remington 700. I stopped.

I’m happy with it

Can’t recollect where I got mine but I got a lot. German I think...not sure

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The ammo I have that looks like that is supposedly South African. It has worked fine in M1A and AR10. The bullet does attract a magnet, so probably not good for shooting steel.

Safrican ammo.jpeg

It came in a green vinyl-ish "battle pack." The boxes don't hold up well once they are opened:o

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    What's the headstamp? Does the rim have the NATO cross in a circle? If it does it has to have been supplied by a NATO country...at least that's my understanding. It could be NATO equivalent but the NATO stamp can't be used if it didn't come from a NATO nation.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    What's the headstamp? Does the rim have the NATO cross in a circle? If it does it has to have been supplied by a NATO country...at least that's my understanding. It could be NATO equivalent but the NATO stamp can't be used if it didn't come from a NATO nation.

Mine has the cross. The rest of the stamp is the same as the lot number on the box.
    Safrican headstamp.jpeg

I couldn't find any empties laying around to confirm whether they are boxer or berdan primed. I haven't tried reloading any.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****That's pretty cool stuff. I thought they were Austrian. I have several boxes as well, and do not shoot steel with them as they attract a magnet (steel core?). It's fairly accurate, and I've had zero problems with FTF, etc.. Mine came in a thick vinyl waterproof cover with the regular cardboard boxes inside. Mine have the NATO cross. I assume the brass is safe to reload as I've dumped the brass into our collective brass bucket...

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Hey, S.M.I.B. It was nice being your neighbor, last weekend, sir.
    :)

I don't have any experience with that ammo. But, here's a couple of links which appear to have more info:

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/1990s-german-dag-men-7-62mm-nato-ab22-cartridges/7522

http://staffordshirephoenixrifleandpistolclub.co.uk/?page_id=662

https://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/41146-german-dag-7-62-x-51-ammo-questions.html#/topics/41146

The unusual jacket seems to be cupronickel coated steel.
    It was a good weekend. You and the others in the group are what make it such a great experience. Had my new build out yesterday. Rang some steel at 200 which is better than I thought my eyes would allow anymore. I will sit down next week and see what kind of accuracy I can get from it.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    *****That's pretty cool stuff. I thought they were Austrian. I have several boxes as well, and do not shoot steel with them as they attract a magnet (steel core?). It's fairly accurate, and I've had zero problems with FTF, etc.. Mine came in a thick vinyl waterproof cover with the regular cardboard boxes inside. Mine have the NATO cross. I assume the brass is safe to reload as I've dumped the brass into our collective brass bucket...

Austrian is Hertinberger and reloadable.
    German ammo is Berdan Primed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom