Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 23rd, 2020, 07:39 AM #1

Squirrel problem

OK, need the brain trust here.

I have a squirrel problem (at least I think it's squirrels doing the damage). they have found my car and have started chewing on hoses. fixed a fuel leak last saturday where they had chewed thru a rubber line, went to drive the car yesterday and had a new hole. Had hung moth balls under the car and did not seem to deter them. My house backs up to woods. I told the wife I was gong to eradicate them, and she protested... but f that.

I plan to replace as much of the rubber lines as I can with hard lines, but that will take a couple weeks to get done.

I saw a lethal trap on amazon, was going to see if tractor supply had anything. also have a box of 22 bird shot but can't shoot around my car !

any other suggestions are most welcome.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:07 AM #2

I don't know if this would work but you could try scattering moth balls under the car? A lot of animals don't like them. Pellet gun with some corn away from car would be better. Good luck.

Sorry I didn't read all thru your post the first time.

Last edited by namrelio; July 23rd, 2020 at 08:09 AM. Reason: ad
namrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:07 AM #3

Location: Where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.

Location: Where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.
.22 bird shot is useless for squirrels. Patterns are blown out due to the spin induced by the rifled barrel. It is loaded with #12 shot that will not penetrate the squirrel's skin unless you are within about 6 feet, and even then probably won't kill it cleanly. Skip that idea... At minimum, a .410 with #7-1/2 or larger, keep shots within about 20-25 yards.

"Lethal" traps can be lethal to non-target animals, and need to be used very carefully to exclude pets and other non-targets.

Squirrels are fairly easily trapped in a box/cage trap baited with peanut butter. Make sure the trap is large enough (20" minimum) or the doors won't close fully and the squirrel can back out. Once you 'miss' one in the trap, it will be almost impossible to get him to go back into the trap.

Once trapped, you can do what you will...relocate (at least a couple miles), euthanize, etc..
Stop calling anti-gun politicians “stupid”. They are not. The continuing assault on gun owners and the Constitution/BoR has nothing to do with street-level crime and you will not “educate them” your way out of this.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
E.Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:32 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
.22 bird shot is useless for squirrels. Patterns are blown out due to the spin induced by the rifled barrel. It is loaded with #12 shot that will not penetrate the squirrel's skin unless you are within about 6 feet, and even then probably won't kill it cleanly. Skip that idea... At minimum, a .410 with #7-1/2 or larger, keep shots within about 20-25 yards.

"Lethal" traps can be lethal to non-target animals, and need to be used very carefully to exclude pets and other non-targets.

Squirrels are fairly easily trapped in a box/cage trap baited with peanut butter. Make sure the trap is large enough (20" minimum) or the doors won't close fully and the squirrel can back out. Once you 'miss' one in the trap, it will be almost impossible to get him to go back into the trap.

Once trapped, you can do what you will...relocate (at least a couple miles), euthanize, etc..
I have good success with a havahart small trap for both squirrels and baby rabbits. The later get relocated...

Though my setup I can whack them with 22s just fine on my property. Sure it’s not mice?
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:38 AM #5
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
OK, need the brain trust here.

I have a squirrel problem (at least I think it's squirrels doing the damage). they have found my car and have started chewing on hoses. fixed a fuel leak last saturday where they had chewed thru a rubber line, went to drive the car yesterday and had a new hole. Had hung moth balls under the car and did not seem to deter them. My house backs up to woods. I told the wife I was gong to eradicate them, and she protested... but f that.

I plan to replace as much of the rubber lines as I can with hard lines, but that will take a couple weeks to get done.

I saw a lethal trap on amazon, was going to see if tractor supply had anything. also have a box of 22 bird shot but can't shoot around my car !

any other suggestions are most welcome.
When I was stationed in Guantanamo Bay Cuba the Banana rats would chew anything rubber especially the radiator hoses. I hung some socks with mothballs in the engine compartment it solved the problem. Yes you will smell it too outside as we could not kill them they were protected. Most critters cannot stand the smell of mothballs. We had a woodchuck issue through a box in the hole and it moved to our neighbors.
Harrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:39 AM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I have good success with a havahart small trap for both squirrels and baby rabbits. The later get relocated...

Though my setup I can whack them with 22s just fine on my property. Sure it’s not mice?
This would be my guess as well.

Things can get dangerous with this - I had an electrical line chewed through that eventually caused the car to stall (shutdown actually) on a right hand turn. The mechanic found mouse droppings in the air filter.

I think this is related to the "environmentally sound" starchy coatings on wires and some hoses that are used to replace plastic (from what I've heard - no research done).
5cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:40 AM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

no not sure it is not mice or even chipmunks, but my fuel lines are far enough off the ground and the bite marks look like they are directed from the ground that I don't think it's anything smaller than a squirrel. THey have previously gotten my propane supply line on my camper but haven't bothered that for a while.

going to go the trap route and xxxxxx route. many many years ago when I lived in a neighborhood, had a neighbor with a mouse problem... he would live trap, dump them down the storm drain next to MY house... all of a sudden I started having a mouse problem. will not do that to anyone else.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:42 AM #8
Cynical Smartass

Cynical Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cary View Post

I think this is related to the "environmentally sound" starchy coatings on wires and some hoses that are used to replace plastic (from what I've heard - no research done).
I have heard that too.
If the liberals and their Deep State puppet masters were not planning to do something bad to the American people, then why do they want to disarm us? - unknown
Glaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:49 AM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
, had a neighbor with a mouse problem... he would live trap, dump them down the storm drain next to MY house... all of a sudden I started having a mouse problem. will not do that to anyone else.
Should have done the same thing to your neighbor. You know, give somebody down the road a bad neighbor problem.
namrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:50 AM #10
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaron View Post
I have heard that too.
The majority of Japanese and Korean autos have now switched to wiring insulation made from soybeans and other nature products. They are having issues because they make tasty treats for our furry friends. Buy American, just because it is made here does not make it American. Parts are made in their host countries shipped here and assembled here. Such as wiring harnesses.
Harrys is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports