HQL denied to to Medical Marijuana Card?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'm going to take a contrarian view here. We all know the rules of the game. You can have weed or you can have guns, but currently you can't have both. Life is about choices. Make a choice and move on. If you want or feel you need MM, go ahead, but my choice would be to avoid anything that put my firearms rights in jeopardy.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Dems could legalize it tomorrow if they wanted too. There are enough Senate Republicans that would let this get attached to some mega bill to pass.

There are several reasons they don't:
    1) Dems campaign on it.
    2) it's easier to control a society in a mental haze than not. That is why it's legal on a state level.
    3) it also gives them control over other things like job and Rights.

Last edited:

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    FWIW...I'm actually open to making all drugs legal and just treating them like alcohol when it comes to driving or public intoxication.
    But therein lies a big problem. Alcohol has clear BAC roadside tests that have stood the test of time, science, and legal scrutiny.

Not so for THC. There is no test, valid in all 50 states, that comes anywhere close to that for DUI. As an individual who has had a close family member killed by a stoner on the highways, I well understand the tragic impact on *others* this has. It is *not* a victimless crime.

Yes, drunks gonna drive and those on dope gonna do the same. But the former can be prosecuted; the latter is harder and in many cases impossible.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    But therein lies a big problem. Alcohol has clear BAC roadside tests that have stood the test of time, science, and legal scrutiny.

Not so for THC. There is no test, valid in all 50 states, that comes anywhere close to that for DUI. As an individual who has had a close family member killed by a stoner on the highways, I well understand the tragic impact on *others* this has. It is *not* a victimless crime.

Yes, drunks gonna drive and those on dope gonna do the same. But the former can be prosecuted; the latter is harder and in many cases impossible.
    That's not exactly true. Saliva tests exist that are pretty damn accurate and can give a positive result in minutes. With time, those tests will improve. Breathalyzers weren't exactly accurate when first implemented but that changed over time. If the market presents itself then someone will create that accurate test.

I'm sure our breathalyzers wouldn't be where they are if a market didn't exist.

Chumm

Aug 1, 2022
    Gaithersburg
    I tried to log into the MM site using my normal credentials. It didn't recognize my login information or my email used on the site to change my password. Maybe I'm already clear?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A straw purchase marijuana? Hell if know I would take my chances with that versus a handgun lol I will prefer to be legally armed and then just get the weed however I get it
    It's not straw, its weed.

A straw purchase is for something else. But also make sure you are getting straw. Because if you get hay by accident when you mean to get straw, you will get weeds in the end.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

It generally is not that difficult to prove that someone was under the influence of drugs if they cause an accident and if often done today.

For ills, DUIs deaths and accidents from alcohol are several times higher than ALL other drugs combined. Yay we can hold people accountable, but if we actually want to do the most good, ban alcohol consumption as it isn't stopping people from driving drunk.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

It's not just THC. I wish it were that simple. He said ALL drugs. Opioids, hallucinogenics like LSD and PCP, etc.

I personally am strictly opposed to that. How many innocents will perish before that anarchy experiment works itself out?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm going to take a contrarian view here. We all know the rules of the game. You can have weed or you can have guns, but currently you can't have both. Life is about choices. Make a choice and move on. If you want or feel you need MM, go ahead, but my choice would be to avoid anything that put my firearms rights in jeopardy.
    That same line popped into my head earlier today. No one's holding a gun to anyone's head, it's either A or B. Pick one...

jet307

May 19, 2021
    Urbana, MD
    So I guess we just spent a bunch of money for nothing....we were just told by the state police that are going to be denied due to the fact that we are "habitual" users of Medical Marijuana. I said first of, habitual implies that I use marijuana due to a habit, I use it occasionally along with CBD for a medical condition (scleroderma) rather than be on Oxy's or Percs or other narcotics.

So I guess our choice is:

A. Turn in the MM Card and start taking Percs, Oxy and whatever narcotics they will throw at us AND THEN we can possess a handgun.

B. Continue with our MM usage for medical purposes and load up on rifles, shotguns, sling shots, bow and arrow or whatever the hell else we want to just NOT a handgun.

I also did not see this one the Maryland licensing website, the website of the instructor for the HQL class nor did they address it in class.

Any thoughts on this????
    How did they even know? Doesn't Hipa or whatever it is protect your medical info?

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    It's not just THC. I wish it were that simple. He said ALL drugs. Opioids, hallucinogenics like LSD and PCP, etc.

I personally am strictly opposed to that. How many innocents will perish before that anarchy experiment works itself out?

Can you provide a drug law that is proven to stop people from doing drugs?

To me it seems like people going to do drugs regardless of what’s legal.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Can you provide a drug law that is proven to stop people from doing drugs?

To me it seems like people going to do drugs regardless of what’s legal.
    You would be incorrect. As soon as it is legalized, (ab)use will increase. Every place it's been tried, it's increased.

We're not talking about banning bowling. We aren't even talking about banning drug use. We are talking about prohibiting drug abuse. San Fransisco should be a bit of a clue...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Dems could legalize it tomorrow if they wanted too. There are enough Senate Republicans that would let this get attached to some mega bill to pass.

There are several reasons they don't:
    1) Dems campaign on it.
    2) it's easier to control a society in a mental haze than not. That is why it's legal on a state level.
    3) it also gives them control over other things like job and Rights.
    Liquor lobby. Every sip of spirits and every gulp of beer is a penny to keep smoke illegal

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    You would be incorrect. As soon as it is legalized, (ab)use will increase. Every place it's been tried, it's increased.

We're not talking about banning bowling. We aren't even talking about banning drug use. We are talking about prohibiting drug abuse. San Fransisco should be a bit of a clue...
    People still do drugs and abuse them and die at a massive level. These laws aren’t for protecting people, they’re for keeping the prison industrial complex packed with legal slaves.

We have to be able to make our own decisions in life. If someone wants to try drugs and dies… that’s on them. They’re not so “ innocent” if they fire up the crack pipe and take one to the dome and kick the bucket for doing so. Innocent would be like little jimmy eating an ice cream cone and someone laced it with dope. Pretty sure that’s already illegal

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If you think prisons are effective slave labor, please visit one. Far less effective than most government programs.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    People still do drugs and abuse them and die at a massive level. These laws aren’t for protecting people, they’re for keeping the prison industrial complex packed with legal slaves.

We have to be able to make our own decisions in life. If someone wants to try drugs and dies… that’s on them. They’re not so “ innocent” if they fire up the crack pipe and take one to the dome and kick the bucket for doing so. Innocent would be like little jimmy eating an ice cream cone and someone laced it with dope. Pretty sure that’s already illegal
    Dafuq are you talking about? You must have a relative on the inside playing to your sympathies to get you to put money on the books.

You've obviously never been inside a prison and seen those "legal slaves" playing X-Box, watching TV, attending all kinds of BS programs funded by tax payers, getting copious amounts of meds they don't need, etc... Played that game for a couple of years before switching to LE and there are others here I'm sure still work inside that will back up what I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom