• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Hunting season and you’re afield. Private property, although the neighbors might not appreciate you strapping on the ole hogleg. Those are two instances, otherwise IDK.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    So I can open carry my AR at a rally but if a cop comes up to me and says “this is a rally” then I have to leave? I just want to make sure I understood that correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would also have to tell you to leave with the gun. Apparently you could drop the AR off in your car and return with a cap and ball musket.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    So I can open carry my AR at a rally but if a cop comes up to me and says “this is a rally” then I have to leave? I just want to make sure I understood that correctly

Is a rally a demonstration?

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    There are also laws on the DNR side that are in play even if you are not hunting.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    It was legal to Open Carry in most places when I lived in Colorado. I only know because in some parts of the state it was much more common and people would inevitably ask about open carry in Denver or Boulder. I never cared because while I have carried for more than 30 years, I don't open carry. If Annapolis passed a law tomorrow making Open Carry legal throughout the state, I still wouldn't open carry.

I still remember the concerns I had walking into crowds with my handgun openly secured by a snap keeper. Even concealed carrying today, I struggle with my long time practice of resting my elbow on top of my handgun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Annnnnd , the questions are Not really centered around the Dangerous Weapon statute , or 2A . It will devolve into 1A issues .

OC of Long Guns is facially Legal , But ...

The Disorderly Conduct statute . Specifically failure to obey lawful order of Police Ofc , when failure to do so could result in blah blah .

Scenario - Joe Blow is OC'ing his pet EBR , 911 calls are made about scary person with scary gun . Ofc Friendly responds , finds nothing inherently illegal . Then says to Joe to the effect of " Hey , all these local bystanders are freaking out , please don't do that , and put your firearm away . " Joe tells Ofc Friendly to buzz off , he'll LGOC if he wants to , poof , charged with Disorderly Conduct .

OR , of Joe is well versed in Free Speach vs Disorderly statutes . ie , For actual protected 1A Free Speech ( & Symbolic Speach ) , their is a different standard , ie a public right of way a actually blocked , or actual noise levels exceeding relevant thresholds .

BUT , that could trigger the abovementioned 4-208 . To the effect of " Oh , so this is actual Protected Political Speech ,gotcha . In that case , I hereby inform you to remove your firearms from a 1,000ft radius of your Political Demonstration " .

Catch-22 right there .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Pretty much, in addition to the officer notifying you of the rally he also has to ask you to leave. If all he does is say "this is a rally" he has only done one part of what is needed. He actually has to ask you to remove the firearm from the rally in order for you to have to leave/remove the firearm from the rally.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Yeah , i like all the freedoms we have to open carry rifles in Maryland but i don't think i am that guy . Maybe i am not part of the 3% club .

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    I've seen people open carry handguns here in Montgomery County, Maryland. I'd have to assume they are either have a carry permit in which case I don't believe there's a distinction in the law between concealed carry and open carry if you have a permit or they are law enforcement. I've never seen anyone open carry a rifle although I've heard that it is supposedly legal to do so. I would not personally try it. I've opened carried in other states but not Maryland.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    You are only 20 years old, right?

Does anyone have any insight into open carrying in MD? Are we even allowed to? I have literally no idea about the rules and regulations for it in MD. I do know about concealed carry though.

In another thread thread you started, you said you were twenty years old. I hope you are talking about only long guns. Unless I am mistaken, you should have nothing to do with handguns for a bit longer.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    In another thread thread you started, you said you were twenty years old. I hope you are talking about only long guns. Unless I am mistaken, you should have nothing to do with handguns for a bit longer.

Ya I only have long guns, I was just curious about it because I only ever really hear people talk about concealed carry, like I said above I didn’t really know anything about open carrying in MD.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've seen people open carry handguns here in Montgomery County, Maryland. I'd have to assume they are either have a carry permit in which case I don't believe there's a distinction in the law between concealed carry and open carry if you have a permit or they are law enforcement.

I have seen some Firearms training dork instructor wearing 5.11 pants, polo shirt with company label, open carrying a pistol with his Wear and Carry permit hanging from a retractable lanyard near his holster. A couple times.
    What a fvcking idiot. This was in Starbucks Mountain rd@ Ritchie hwy across from Ann's.
    I hope he is a member in here and reads this.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I have seen some Firearms training dork instructor wearing 5.11 pants, polo shirt with company label, open carrying a pistol with his Wear and Carry permit hanging from a retractable lanyard near his holster. A couple times.
    What a fvcking idiot. This was in Starbucks Mountain rd@ Ritchie hwy across from Ann's.
    I hope he is a member in here and reads this.

Did he have a sash too ? You must get pictures , and no that was not me , i don't like Starbucks that much :innocent0

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    911: 911, whats your emergency?
    Caller: There is a white guy carrying a gun around.. I am scared. He is a racist. He has a Trump shirt on.
    911: Find shelter, SWAT is on the way
    Caller: OMG thank you. he scared my cats too.
    911: I will stiay on the line with you until help arrives.
    Caller: Oh thank you. Hey let me ask you about your car warranty.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Obviously you don’t. Otherwise you would know that a MD permit is a wear and carry permit, not a “concealed carry” permit. With a MD permit you can carry open or concealed.

The long gun carry thing is based off an opinion by the former AG. I’m sure if challenged the current AG would have a different opinion.

Don't be a jerk, dude.

He asked a question that a lot of people have. Sorry he doesn't have the "lingo" down.

If everyone on this forum had all the right info, this forum would not exist.

And maybe I am alone here, but the search functionality freakin' sucks on this forum. It's no surprise that dupe posts are frequent. I have an easier time searching via Google and then adding "mdshooters" at the end to find the forum I am looking for.

OP- Concealed carry in MD is difficult to obtain for the average joe and highly restricted. Mainly to business owners or individuals who have been able to prove substantial threat to their safety.

If you have a wear and carry permit in MD (CCW) then you may carry it either concealed or openly.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Has anyone called the MSP and gotten a verbal or any letter stating OC , i bet they will say CC only . Now i have been around the block a time or two but that will be their go to response i am sure . Also most trainers in Maryland will tell you the same .

I had one instructor early on almost come out and say i was stupid for open carrying on my business property , that's how it works in Maryland shame everyone and create doubt and scare us to do even legal things .

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Has anyone called the MSP and gotten a verbal or any letter stating OC , i bet they will say CC only . Now i have been around the block a time or two but that will be their go to response i am sure . Also most trainers in Maryland will tell you the same .

I had one instructor early on almost come out and say i was stupid for open carrying on my business property , that's how it works in Maryland shame everyone and create doubt and scare us to do even legal things .

Per the USCCA website "Open and concealed carry are legal in Maryland only for Maryland Wear/Carry Handgun Permit (WCHP) holders."

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/re...ealed carry are,Handgun Permit (WCHP) holders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom