• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I want 6 Bays of Madness and would pay an extra $5 per gun for it

• Total voters

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    August marks the 12th month and the end of the first year since AGC Action Shooting started allowing non badge holders to participate. Our first competition posted to Practiscore was a 3 Gun match on September 22. There were three stages, 34 shooters, and we barely had enough targets to make it work. In fact, we just shot several of the targets twice to make it worth our while.

As October was approaching, I learned that most of the Action Shooting team's core guys were headed to WV for the Zombie Invitational (so no 3 Gun match that month). There was talk of this "Steel Challenge" thing on MDS, something of which I had really never heard of. Stoveman reached out and gave me a quick tutorial on exactly what is. "It drag racing with guns," he says. He hooked me with Chris N. from Delta who offered a ton of advice. We honestly would not have been able to do any of this without these two guys getting involved.

So, our first Steel Challenge match was on and scheduled for October 12th. We had 4 Stages that day - 3 that somewhat resembled Standard Steel challenge COFs and 1 "Stage of Madness" designed by Stove. We sold out that day with 52 guns registered. My partner Rick called me on his way home from WV that night. I remember saying to him, "Rick, I think we figured out how to fund some more 3 gun props." Little did I know then that "Outlaw" Steel Challenge was going to be the most expensive match to field.

As the months came and went, we expanded from 4 COFs to 5 and eventually to 6. We changed the name from Steel Challenge to "Outlaw" Steel Challenge" so as not to piss off any purist's, and inserted some new rules to keep things moving rapidly. Today, the match routinely sells out with 78 guns and typically a good size waiting list. Only the extreme heat, ammo shortage, and COVID19 got in our way of selling out this month.

So, we are now at an impasse once again. As it stands today, we currently run 3 standard Steel Challenge COFs and 3 Falling Steel / IPSC style COFs with movement. The feedback we get every match is that everyone loves the non standard COFs and that they could do without the others. Everyone would like more falling steel/IPSC.

We have talked about it and agree that we should change the name again and have 6 Stages of Madness. That idea sounds great, but therein lies the rub.

We do not have enough falling steel props to do it the right way. Each Stage of Madness requires $2,500 - $3,500 worth of props. Those props also need a secure place to live while we aren't using them. We just spent $6500 a month ago on new props, $5,000/200 man hours building the sheds, and now we find ourselves needing more, more, more. Unfortunately, we have all but blown our nut.

We would really like to do it, but in order to do it right, we need to raise enough money to pay for more props and more sheds. The AGC is gracious enough to let Action Shooting to reinvest 100% of its proceeds into the program, but they are not willing to invest beyond what they already have (the berms, Hescos, etc.)

So, here is everybody's favorite thing to complain about when it comes to the AGC - Price/Fee Increases:mad54:!!!! Knowing this, I figured I would put a poll out there and get an understanding where peoples heads are with this. Most of the folks I talk to in person/phone/text are supportive, however I know there must be those who think we are a priced high enough as it is.

Disclaimer: None or some of this may happen. I just want to know if raising the fee $5 per gun will keep a large number of our regulars from participating.

So, here is your chance to let us know what you think. Please be kind and as a matter of fact. I really, really, really don't want this to turn into another AGC bitch thread.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Mike, you and the team have done an outstanding job creating an Action Shooting program at the AGC. Since the program started, I haven't yet felt the itch to compete elsewhere (except at PNTC in WV) since I know I can get my fix 1-2 per month just a 20 minute drive away. Once I get fluent with a red dot on a pistol I can do IDPA as well. I'm now a member. I'm pissed I have a conflict for Sunday and can't participate.

Consider a way to take donations. I'd be happy to start contributing on an annual basis.

Seriously, this is a hell of a program for the local shooting community. It'd be interesting if you could take note of where people are coming from at the registration desk...

I would be happy paying $10 more and I'm a range badge holder.
    Stages of madness and falling targets are the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I would gladly pay good money to shoot the courses with moving targets.
    During peak interest times, raise the price to $20 for badge holders and $40 for non badge holders.
    My only gripe with last Saturday's Outlaw Steel Challenge was timing out in 60 seconds with 25 targets- 10+ of which were moving. 90 seconds wouldn't slow the match down; all things considered.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Mike I have only been to two early matches but what you guys have accomplished was amazing. I think that the golden rule about pricing. Pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered. So a price increase to cover expenses and continued growth should be generally accepted by those who choose to participate in these events. A $5 or even $10 increase for more complex events seems to something a lot of people would accept. Maybe offer discounts or credits to those who volunteer to take on particularly difficult duties during these events.

I’m looking forward to being at some future events again.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Are you talking about doing it this way from now on or for only selected special events? I would be in either way.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    A single run, per shooter, of 25 targets- moving and falling? Up the timeout to 90 or 120 seconds and require all participants to help reset the targets.
    I would pay double for this in a heartbeat.

Don't need double. $5 will get us where we need to be and on par with the 3 Gun matches.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I’m glad this kind of validated my feeling most people had more fun on the madness stages. Nothing wrong with normal steel challenge but transitioning more toward a general action pistol match seems like a good move. I like the idea of still throwing in a steel challenge stage or two here and there but it seems most people have a lot more fun on the action stages

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'd gladly pay the extra $5. BUT: I'd also like to be sure that there's a way to get noobs a feel for the match environment without being completely freaked out by six Madness stages. I suspect the answer to that is an entirely different event, or those evening get-to-know-it things I hear about.

I've definitely watched some noobs get the vapors on the complex stages, but feel immediate comfort and rapid growth on the standard issue SC stages. If the whole exercise is quickly drifting towards regulars who already have the chops and the confidence, then the more complex stages are indeed great fun ... for those folks. Just be sure to find a way to encourage some steel noob action (for NON BADGE HOLDERS WILLING TO PAY WHATEVER THAT TAKES). Not, not, not me complaining. Just recognizing how Six Degrees Of Madness event could be pretty off-putting to relative novices, and perhaps even suck the fun right out of it until they buff up.

Anyhow, the $5 is a non-issue. Charge it, and buy more toys. Sounds great!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I'd gladly pay the extra $5. BUT: I'd also like to be sure that there's a way to get noobs a feel for the match environment without being completely freaked out by six Madness stages. I suspect the answer to that is an entirely different event, or those evening get-to-know-it things I hear about.

I've definitely watched some noobs get the vapors on the complex stages, but feel immediate comfort and rapid growth on the standard issue SC stages. If the whole exercise is quickly drifting towards regulars who already have the chops and the confidence, then the more complex stages are indeed great fun ... for those folks. Just be sure to find a way to encourage some steel noob action (for NON BADGE HOLDERS WILLING TO PAY WHATEVER THAT TAKES). Not, not, not me complaining. Just recognizing how Six Degrees Of Madness event could be pretty off-putting to relative novices, and perhaps even suck the fun right out of it until they buff up.

Anyhow, the $5 is a non-issue. Charge it, and buy more toys. Sounds great!

I would agree with this. Gladly willing to pay an extra $5-10 for a match, not an issue.
    Unless they have some prior experience with shooting pistol matches, I think newbs might be completely overwhelmed with all stages being madness.
    One option might be to have a natural “break point” in a stage so someone new could just shoot the first set of targets (without movement) and stop there.
    Wouldn’t be as overwhelming and they wouldn’t be ripping through as much ammo. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Just throwing an idea out there. York Izaak Walton does a "fun shoot" once a month that consists of 5/6 stages of 20+ pieces of falling steel. It is a very laid back and not timed. They ask who is new and pair them up with experienced shooters. Might be a great way to encourage new shooters to come out and get a taste without the pressure of the timer and getting overwhelmed by complex stages.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I'll be out and participating this year. $5 increase isn't going to be an issue. I'm speaking somewhat out of ignorance when it comes to actual design of the courses, but generally I would prefer to work on as many different skills as I can. With that in mind, variety of challenges would intrigue me the most, as opposed to just what is most fun.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm okay with raising the match fees even if everything stayed the same. Delta is charging $15 and only running four stages.

I'd like to see a couple more big stages but would hate to see the traditional steel challenge stages go away. Raise the rates, shoot four big stages and two traditional would be my call.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just throwing an idea out there. York Izaak Walton does a "fun shoot" once a month that consists of 5/6 stages of 20+ pieces of falling steel. It is a very laid back and not timed. They ask who is new and pair them up with experienced shooters. Might be a great way to encourage new shooters to come out and get a taste without the pressure of the timer and getting overwhelmed by complex stages.

I have been to the York fun shoot before. You are right, it is laid back and was kind of fun.

At this point, I really can not commit any more time to the AGC to run any more matches. It just takes too much time away from home and isn't fair to my 9 year old daughter.

I'm working on bringing some younger guys along and helping them to work towards getting their Event Director status AGC. This would allow them to take things over on Steel Challenge and 3 Gun. It is a very long process and a requires a very big commitment to become a certified Event Director (one must be a Certified Event Director in order to run an action shooting event). There are only 4 of us with that status right now.

Once that happens, then things should be freed up for me to work on USPSA, IPSC, and other fun matches; including intro to Action Shooting type events. Right now, the focus is on building the out the program we have. We still have a lot of work to do on that.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm okay with raising the match fees even if everything stayed the same. Delta is charging $15 and only running four stages.

I'd like to see a couple more big stages but would hate to see the traditional steel challenge stages go away. Raise the rates, shoot four big stages and two traditional would be my call.
    This is my opinion, too. I wanted to get my 9yro good enough to shoot rimfire, but he's just not going to be up to running and gunning those big stages.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I have been to the York fun shoot before. You are right, it is laid back and was kind of fun.

At this point, I really can not commit any more time to the AGC to run any more matches. It just takes too much time away from home and isn't fair to my 9 year old daughter.

I'm working on bringing some younger guys along and helping them to work towards getting their Event Director status AGC. This would allow them to take things over on Steel Challenge and 3 Gun. It is a very long process and a requires a very big commitment to become a certified Event Director (one must be a Certified Event Director in order to run an action shooting event). There are only 4 of us with that status right now.

Once that happens, then things should be freed up for me to work on USPSA, IPSC, and other fun matches; including intro to Action Shooting type events. Right now, the focus is on building the out the program we have. We still have a lot of work to do on that.

Honestly, I am always impressed with your ability to make such committments. I think I can speak for Katie when I say that, as much as we love helping out any way we can, there is just no way we could invest the time into becoming match directors. Even without the Covid bs in the equation, it is hard enough for us to make it to matches consistently.

We aren't super dedicated to being competitive, and it will be a long time before we get bored with less challenging setups, like some of the more advanced shooters. When you get someone to run an intro/noob series, we (again...I hope I'm speaking for both of us) would gladly focus on helping with that.

In the meantime, I think it is good to keep a couple steel challenge courses. For the brand new (or new to competition) shooters, these offer a warm up or confidence building practice for the big ones. In addition to being simple, they offer another advantage in this role as being repeatable. It gives them an opportunity to try something different (whether it is tweaking the draw, grip, sight picture, etc.) and try again on the same course. Sure, the big stages are more fun, but I would think we could all still benefit and push ourselves for improvement on the small ones.

Thinking about that...it would probably make more work and hassle for Mike:innocent0...but how about a way on practiscore to indicate (like a check box or something) brand new shooters, so that they could be squadded to start in the small stages? Just a thought :shrug:

As to the fee increase. Part of me twitches a little bit about the thought of another :rolleye12 fee increase at AGC. I'd still pay it, and still think it was the best value around, but I would hate to see increases become a recurring theme. $5 shouldn't break the bank for anybody, but with ammo prices through the roof...every little bit hurts :shrug: Could it wait until next year, when either Trump is in his second term and hopefully ammo is available, or the unthinkable happens at election time and nobody's shooting for fun anyway? Just throwing ideas out there.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    Why are those disinterested asked to fund these events? Should not these events be self supporting? Why not ask for those participating to pay for the events?
    No, I am not interested in paying for them.
    JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom