• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Ok, I got a 10" 6" and 4" steel target and we typically use the 10" and 6" on the 20 yard range for handguns. The chains and or bolt keep breaking. Anyone have a system that works without breaking?

The carriage bolt they give you with them loose their head if someone hits it. Do you just keep alot around, upgrade to grade 8 or something?

I took and chain link and welded it to the 10 inch gong in two spots and hunt it that way. My son shot it with the 30-30 at 50 yards and one of the links snaps right next to the weld. Must be too much shock right were the chain meets the weld.

So what do ya'll do?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I prefer sections old fire hose, it holds up very well. As for the bolts, i just keep a few extras around and use jamb nuts so they don’t loosen up

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Just carry extra carriage bolts. Don’t bother with the extra cost of grade 8 bolts. They come apart just like the cheap bolts.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    You need to leave some play in the plate/bolt/chain joint or you create a rigid system that is not as shock resistant. Use nyloc nuts so they won't back off and leave 1/8" or so play.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Fire hose and conveyor belt material work well, but can be hard to move and store. I used chains with S-hooks, kept a bunch of pre-cut cheap chains and loose S-hooks in an ammo can in the truck. Bullet takes the hook or cuts the chain, takes about 10 seconds to re-hang a plate.
    Steel-01.jpg

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I like the S hook idea. How to they hold up if a bullet strikes them?

I am assume cold rolled steel doesn't handle 9mm 115 grains very well. I could bend my own in the vise from 3/8" rebar

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Try to use hardware that bends easily. Avoid anything hardened and it may stand up to more strikes.
    I made mild steel hooks and nylon stop nuts with a little slack just like the others up thread.
    I like chain with hooks so I can back the truck right up to the target frame and just lower the gong right into the tailgate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom