• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I wouldn't worry one bit about overpaying. It's done. Now order some (alot) of ammo.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    I wouldn't worry one bit about overpaying. It's done. Now order some (alot) of ammo.
    It was $1199, I am seeing this model (#8529) for msrp around $800 online.

I think I am in two minds because I recently managed to get a keltec ks7 shotgun at retail after trying for over 2 months instead of paying almost double. On the flip side, ARs are the most at risk of being banned so I believe it would be harder to get lucky (and only get even harder as election nears) and find something at msrp like I did the ks7

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    The shop had a one ammo box limit, so I picked up a 20 round box of .223 for $13, a ridiculous looking 10 round mag for $16 (need to drive to VA and get a 30 rounder) and the only sights they had for $45 which they put on for me

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I cant believe someone is marking up that much. Things are next to impossible to come by right now but still doesnt mean you gouge. That lesson should have been learned long ago and for sure in 2012.

Dont stress it you got something, and like the other said, you may not have had the chance if biden gets his way.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I just vastly overpaid for a Ruger 556, but I figured I would get a complete rifle while I could since its my first and I have never built a firearm before.

I do want to go back and get a pistol designated lower if I ever get the funds together.

Any words of encouragement to avoid the feeling of overpaying welcome haha

Well, you got one at least. Sometimes you get a great deal, sometimes the deal gets you, depends on the market. No need to feel bad if you are happy with it, and it is in your hands. You can modify and customize it at your leisure.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    thanks!

Buying before building is always a wise choice. You want your first AR to work, right out of the box.

If you bought now, yeah, you probably overpaid compared to the rest of us with a lot more buying history...but what other option do you have? :shrug: Depending on how things go politically, this may have been your only opportunity. You could have waited for a better deal and ended up with nothing...ever :eek:

So, enjoy your new rifle for what it is, rather than what it cost. :party29:

And don't forget to vote to keep it (and get others to vote to keep it).

thanks for this message - was very helpful

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I just vastly overpaid for a Ruger 556, but I figured I would get a complete rifle while I could since its my first and I have never built a firearm before.

I do want to go back and get a pistol designated lower if I ever get the funds together.

Buy once. Cry once.
    There will be plenty of 'customizing to be done on your store-bought rifle. Believe me. Makes for a good segue from buying to building as you become familiar with the platform. Enjoy!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

A stripped lower is not designated as a pistol, it’s listed as “Other”. You can build it as a pistol or rifle.
    If you buy a complete lower, then that is a different story, it would be a pistol or rifle depending upon the stock/brace setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    A stripped lower is not designated as a pistol, it’s listed as “Other”. You can build it as a pistol or rifle.
    If you buy a complete lower, then that is a different story, it would be a pistol or rifle depending upon the stock/brace setup

Built lowers (never used to assemble a full firearm) are still “other” since they don’t meet the definition of a rifle or handgun. Clarification for item 24 on the 4473 says that even if a receiver can only be built into a rifle or shotgun, it is still an “other.”

Also, built lowers don’t incur the federal excise tax that rifles do

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Built lowers (never used to assemble a full firearm) are still “other” since they don’t meet the definition of a rifle or handgun. Clarification for item 24 on the 4473 says that even if a receiver can only be built into a rifle or shotgun, it is still an “other.”

Also, built lowers don’t incur the federal excise tax that rifles do

I believe he means "transfered as...".

I have it on good authority, if a stripped AR lower is transferred as anything other than "other", would be considered an error by the FFL and non binding.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I believe he means "transfered as...".

I have it on good authority, if a stripped AR lower is transferred as anything other than "other", would be considered an error by the FFL and non binding.

Yes, not a rifle/pistol until it’s physically one. New built lowers transfer just like new stripped lowers

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    Yes, not a rifle/pistol until it’s physically one. New built lowers transfer just like new stripped lowers
    So to clarify, if I wanted to build an AR pistol I could buy a complete lower ready for a pistol caliber (non-stripped lower) and it would still be marked as "other" and no need for a HQL?

Car

Apr 3, 2020
    If Kamala tries to confiscate the AR15s, all buyers that bought the lowers (transferred as “other”) are safe, as they technically don’t have any ARs, correct?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My understanding is it depends what kind of arm/shoulder thingy is on it.

Whether it has a stock or brace, a new built lower still transfers as an “other” on the 4473 because it never had a barrel and never met the definition of a handgun or rifle

I don’t know what MD would consider it for state paperwork purposes

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    It was $1199, I am seeing this model (#8529) for msrp around $800 online.

I think I am in two minds because I recently managed to get a keltec ks7 shotgun at retail after trying for over 2 months instead of paying almost double. On the flip side, ARs are the most at risk of being banned so I believe it would be harder to get lucky (and only get even harder as election nears) and find something at msrp like I did the ks7

You got off easy. I paid a lot more for my first AR around the time of the previous gun ban hysteria. I also bought an AK for a high price. Looking back, it is just a sunk cost. Better to have than not.

After a few more purchases, then wound isn’t as sore. Working and buying more guns makes the pain go away.

Car

Apr 3, 2020
    After a few more purchases, then wound isn’t as sore. Working and buying more guns makes the pain go away.

What pain? He said:
    it's crazy to see a couple hundred dollar difference online for the same rifle, but ofcourse they are all sold out

It is like comparing your purchase price with 1980s catalog you found in the library and crying about it

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co

One may equate the feeling of overpaying with pain, but if you don’t, then don’t complain about ammo prices or the cost of anything.

Car, feel free to shop at CTD if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom