• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    A neighbor dropped 3 boxes of vintage .30-06 off to me today knowing that I recently got my CMP Garand in.

Two boxes (one full, one mostly full) of Sears "Ted Williams" .30-06 150gr soft-points and a box that is a mix of Remington of unknown weight and Federal 165gr .30-06.

Depending on the velocity/pressure of the Sears stuff, I could likely throw it in the Garand for hunting this year. The Federal and unknown Remington on the other hand aren't worth risking. Guess that means I have to buy another .30-06 rifle to use it huh? ;)

Doubt there's much collector value to these boxes but figured I'd run them by you guys before using the ammo to make sure.

9z1EzEg.jpg

The Sears stuff has the "Sears" headstamp while the federal is FC and Remington is R-P (for Remington Peters I assume?) and they are both in plastic belt carriers.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Personally...I'd either use it all up in a different rifle (bolt-action) or sell it and buy ammunition you know is ok in a Garand. That might be ok for a few rounds but why risk damage to your rifle? Basically...since it's mixed and partially full boxes it's little more than blasting ammo.

Then again...there's nothing wrong with buying a bolt gun to shoot it in. Get a nice '03 or '03A3 to go along with your M1.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Personally...I'd either use it all up in a different rifle (bolt-action) or sell it and buy ammunition you know is ok in a Garand. That might be ok for a few rounds but why risk damage to your rifle? Basically...since it's mixed and partially full boxes it's little more than blasting ammo.

Then again...there's nothing wrong with buying a bolt gun to shoot it in. Get a nice '03 or '03A3 to go along with your M1.

This. And let’s also be honest, billet technology has come a long way since Sears has been selling ammunition. IIRC Core Lokts in 150gr are supposed to be okay pressure for a Garand (as are most, but not all 150gr loads). That’s what I’d do for hunting if I didn’t roll my own (planning to load some Hornady 150gr interlock flat base with a nice pressure safe load for hunting this fall).

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Pull one of the bullets and weigh the powder and bullet. If the powder is under 46 grains, it is probably ok. That is the rough cutoff for most powders to be safe in the Garand.

If you have a chrono you could chrono a bullet in a bolt gun and check the speed. If my memory is correct it can shoot safely up to 3400 ft/s. M1 ball is around 2800 ft/s.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Pull one of the bullets and weigh the powder and bullet. If the powder is under 46 grains, it is probably ok. That is the rough cutoff for most powders to be safe in the Garand.

If you have a chrono you could chrono a bullet in a bolt gun and check the speed. If my memory is correct it can shoot safely up to 3400 ft/s. M1 ball is around 2800 ft/s.

I thought it was the powder burn rate, and the resulting pressure, that was the issue and not the velocity??

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Ain't no way I'd shoot anything other than "Known to be Garand-safe" ammo in my M1's. For a few rounds? It's just not worth the risk - especially with unknown cartridges. I have other 30-06 rifles to use stuff like that in. Then the cases can become Garand food.

;)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    GCA did an article on this in spring I think it was.
    The authors had a pretty convincing case for utilizing ammo not usually associated with the Garand with a lot of evidence to support their claim.
    Gus Fisher had a pretty good rebuttal for the former in the last edition.
    If you ever get a chance to read the two article it's pretty interesting.
    Maybe some of those on here have seen the two articles that were published.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    OP you could shoot that ammo all day long if you don't mind single load and simply pull the gas plug out.

That way as long as the ammo passes a satisfactory pre flight inspection you could have a number of decent once fired for your rifle.

Yep, there is that option. Or install an adjustable gas plug, But for a handful of rounds? Why go to all that effort?

:shrug:

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I would just buy a grand gear gas plug and leave it in. Then shoot any ammo you want.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If he looks around Walmart they have several on clearance right now for under $200.

Any idea what brand? I mean, it can be the cheapest SOB ever, but I just want to know what to look for. :D

Edit: Can't justify the 03 or 17 under the current circumstances. Already shot a big wad on several other firearms. Until private schools get back up and running to at least 50% in my region, I've gotta be somewhat frugal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom