Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 9th, 2010, 07:17 PM #11
Rugeritis

Rugeritis

pick up skunks by the tail and they don't spray...
WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM #12

Location: In a place where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.

Dumbest fox on record. Tried to go through what he thought was a hole in the chain link fence, but was really a #220 Connibear.:

Second dumbest fox ever. Came back to the scene of the crime after digging under and taking ALL of the chickens. Found the surprise I had left for him (a nice pair of Victor #1.75 double coils):

Stop calling anti-gun politicians “stupid”. They are not. If you simply look at the way they conduct themselves, you can understand why they fear and hate armed citizens and the grave risk they present to the increasingly corrupt. It has nothing to do with street-level crime and you cannot “educate them” your way out of this.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
E.Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:14 PM #13

whats a good coon bait when useing a box trap?
sparkymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:19 PM #14

Send a message via ICQ to Bigdtc

Send a message via ICQ to Bigdtc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymon View Post
I've had really good luck with apples.. Thing is the groundhogs and opposum seen to like them too.. But they work great.
Bigdtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM #15

From the "Coyote Thread" (http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=42060):
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
E Shell, check out the new MB550 traps. Coyote ready out of the box, but work great on foxes too- and I am told by PA coyote trappers that the 2 coil model is more than enough to hold onto a big eastern yote. If you are going to spend extra on modded bridgers, you might as well spend extra on these MB traps.
Well, I ordered a few...we'll see if I have sense enough to grab one of those dang 'yotes with 'em. They do look like nice traps.

We used to cut pieces of 1/2" foam to sit under the pan and keep soil from filtering. I guess that what the "Underalls" are, LOL.

I also ordered some dye & wax. Mine was polluted from years of dust in the old garage attic. I have a little muriatic acid around to knock the grease off of them and start them rusting. Gonna have to fire up the burners and boil some traps in a few weeks. All of my old fox traps are dyed, waxed and put up in bushel baskets. Most of them still have a nail between the jaws from being waxed last time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Check out the retrievable cable stakes also sold by Minnesota Traplines- these will work great for coyotes and you can pull them and re-use them too. Yes PA coyote trappers told me that these particular cable stakes work great. Rockier soils 12", softer type soils 18". I'm gonna get me some for this season.
I ordered a dozen 12" & another dozen 18". I think that I can get away with the 12" in some areas, but some spots are going to be tougher to get solid ground.

As always, I found out more after placing the order, and it maybe something for you to consider when you buy. It seems that the cable version is a better product for softer ground, where it is easy to drive to a uniform depth. In rocky soils, a chain would be better, since any extra chain can coil "softly" under the trap, vs the rigid cable stub sticking up if you can't drive to full depth.

Thanks for your advice. Our trapping season for land opens Nov 1 in western MD, so I'm going to try to be ready and hit them when I'm in the area for a few days at a time.
Stop calling anti-gun politicians “stupid”. They are not. If you simply look at the way they conduct themselves, you can understand why they fear and hate armed citizens and the grave risk they present to the increasingly corrupt. It has nothing to do with street-level crime and you cannot “educate them” your way out of this.

Old September 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymon View Post
I used to nail them pretty good with sardines in Tomahawk live traps. Probably not cost effective, but worked great.

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:05 AM #17

Sorry E shell, I think my double in the same hayset qualifies as the 2 dumbest foxes ever LOL. Backstory- farmer's wife sees 2 foxes walk that way day before, tells me about it. It was jan and mating season. I scrape up some soiled hay from another location and mix it with fresh hay, and make 2 hay sets side by side. Next day's check and I have a 2-fer, and yes, a male and a female.

Foxes in 220's/160's
- I twice caught foxes in them when groundhog trapping, but they both got out. Big bunch of dug up dirt with billions of fox tracks, and snapped traps and a bit of fur.

I once caught a coon at a groundhog hole in a 160- it wasn't one of the bigger sized holes either. Had to yank the coon out, and he was pretty big.

Weird thing that happened when nuisance fox trapping- caught a mom and a pup as a double. The landowners heard caterwauling at dusk, turns out that was when they were caught, so the husband went down to shoot them. When I came the next morning, the adult was still in the trap dead, but the pup had been yanked out and all that was left was a paw and the leg up to the shoulder blade. I asked an old fox trapper about it, and he said the other foxes ate it.

Skunk dispatch w/out stinkies...I will post all about it soon. But here's a pic to get you thinking.
Attached Images

foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:15 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemac View Post
I'd be interested to hear how you dispatch skunks without them spraying. I am pretty sure it's inevitable that I'm going to catch one in my area. They are as prevalent as squirrels.

Foxtrapper, I'm very interested in your used traps. If you could shoot me a PM with a list of traps you have and the price your looking for I most likely be prepared to make the trip up there to get them.
I have some cleaned up. Some were stored indoors and still have wax,etc. Others were on a back porch and moisture crept in but I scaled off most of the excess rust. They all need to be tested and tweaked where needed, and some need chains, and others have a trap kote on them that is peeling that you may want to remove. Then simmer dyed, and waxed. So I figure 5.00 each. Haggling will be allowed on site LOL

1 dozen Montgomery round jaw 1.5's
1/2 dozen Sleepy Creek offset jaw 1.5's
2 #1 Northwoods coilsprings

I haven't had a chance to clean up the 110's and the other stuff.
Old September 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM #19

Just got back from the weekend advanced trapper class. It is well worth the $125 which includes a year membership to the MD Fur Trappers. Meals and bunk included.

Friday night was lecture until almost 11pm. Saturday was lecture until around 9 or so then we split into groups of 6-8 and went out into the field to make sets. My group went to 2 different sections of Savage State Forest and another private farm. We got back around 3:30-4pm and then had lecture until around 10. Today we went and checked the traps. We got 2 coons, 1 skunk and 2 small beavers. The other groups got two more coons, 5 muskrats and groundhog and a small otter. The instructors then demonstrated skinning, fleshing and stretching.

It was nearly 100% hands on. Everything from making the set to stretching. I am really glad I went. Now I can sit down and say, this is what I need and I know how to use what I'm getting because I actually got to do it in the field.

Fox trapper we dispatched our skunk with di-methyl cetone and a kill stick. They also explained how to pull the skunk essence with a needle and put it in a bottle. The instructor didn't have it with him though so they couldn't demonstrate that. I have a pretty good idea of what is needed now though.
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:24 PM #20

Wow that sounds like a GREAT class. And yes the skunk "poke pole" method is what I use. Great that you got to see it live and in person being done. I have a painter pole that goes to 8 feet long and use the syringe/needle that screws onto the end of the pole. I put 10cc's into the lungs and do let the skunk sniff the needle first. Once the skunk is unconcious, I will often put another 10cc's in it ( direct, not at 8 feet away LOL). I've heard of trappers who had skunks come back to life on them in the truck bed. They didn't inject enough in them, so I want to be sure the skunk is dead dead dead.

There are 2 video/dvd's with veteran trapper Bob Wendt trapping out west, 1 is focusing on coyotes, the other bobcats. In each he has a segment about poke pole dispatch of skunks ( he used to be/or still is a DVM, so he knows how to legally get sodium pentobarbitol), and how to remove the gland package then "milk" them, and about his choice of storage bottles.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports