• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byte_Head

May 16, 2021
    Hi All--

Sorry if this has been asked/answered for the millionth time ... I'm wondering if I can apply for the HQL with the training exemption.

I took an MSP certification online prior to the ban back in 2013 so I could purchase an AR lower receiver. I've long since misplaced the paper certificate but I still have the cert # on the MSP application and affidavit to purchase a regulated firearm (Form 77R). Can I use both the application and the cert # as documentation to apply for the HQL with training exemption? I realize I need the fingerprinting done.

The cert was through the MSP and was an approved training, it had to be for the 77R. The lower receiver is registered to me making me a lawful owner of a regulated firearm. Both appear to be independent qualifications to applying for the HQL with training exemption. Both meet the pre Oct 1, 2013 enactment date.

I inherited some guns from my deceased brother’s estate (I’m the estate’s “Personal Representative”) so I’m effectively the owner/manager of them as assets. The guns are located in VA and I would like to keep two or three, all of which are ordinarily regulated firearms. So, I’m not buying or selling anything, here in MD (yet) but I am legally in receipt of them and I lawfully manage them.

I don’t mind taking the full HQL course, but it’s just another hurdle to jump in dealing with the estate that I’d like to make as lawfully streamlined as possible.

Any thoughts or experience are welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks!

Ben--

Last edited:

rog951

Mar 6, 2018
    Not far from Frederick
    I took this route for my HQL though I'd purchased two handguns in 2013 before the rules changed. My recollection is when filling out my HQL application I had to put in all the relevant info on one of the handguns, including date/place of purchase and the make/model/serial number. Not sure it'd work with a lower receiver...not saying it wouldn't, I'm just not certain.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    I had to fill in the serial number of my ar lower, and that was it. I dont recall it needing any other information about it

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Mrs. River just finished going through this process. The serial
    # on the lower will get you there-- you're training exempt.

Byte_Head

May 16, 2021
    Thanks all for the replies. The lower worked just fine on its own as others mentioned. I later called the MSP and the person said that's all that's needed. Not sure if it was a land-speed record but I got my HQL in just over 24 hours from submitting the application. I got the live scan fingerprinting done last Wednesday, submitted my application and got the HQL issued Thursday.

RichardTerp95

Jun 1, 2021
    That is fast. I applied for mine (training exempt) about a month ago. Applied on 5/5/21 and it was issued on 5/17/21.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom