• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    What price point do you feel compelled to buy .22 ammo? For me it's around .4/round. I don't need any, but when I see it under .5/round I usually pick some up. I think it's a left over reaction from the 2013 shortage and not wanting to be caught short again. I don't hoard anything else (including toilet paper) but for some reason I keep way more .22 than I will probably ever use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    I only ever bulk buy 22 when I intend to shoot it. 223 is what I jump on if it's about 5 or 6 cents bellow market value. With that in mind, I don't think penny pinching on 22 will get you anywhere, it'll probably cost you more money to sit there and think about it then it would to just go buy it...

Unless you plan on reselling it.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    4 cents is a good price. I tend to buy when I see it a reasonable price. I shoot .22 more than anything else for target practice/recreation and after the Sandyhook drought, I will never let my reserve run low again. I realize that the tap can get turned off at any moment, and who knows how long the next one might last.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    If you're looking for inexpensive insurance that you can shoot SOMETHING, even in the worst of times? Be it for portability, for shooting or hunting, or for bartering, or even to provide perhaps "just enough" defensive capability, until you can perhaps get your hands on something you may deem better once the situation is defined? Hard to beat .22LR.

Not terribly expensive even now to keep a good stock on hand. I was paying 3.4 cents per round for Aguila Super Extra HV copper for the last year or so before the pandemic. Love the ammo as it surprised me with its performance. Loved it even more so at that price.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    $.04 was my price point for .22lr as well. I would often pick up a box of Federal 555 at WalMart when they had it at $17 per box.

I have two rifles that I try to feed Eley or Wolf Match because those rifles will shoot well out to 150 yards with consistent ammunition. The Federal bulk packs work well in everything else. CCI quiets are very nice for varmint work in one of my bolt rifles. No louder than most springer air rifles, IMO.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Depends on what I'm shooting it in. If I want more accuracy, I'll shoot CCI from my rifle. I shoot most anything from pistols unless the particular gun is finicky.
    CCI is more expensive though.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When it comes to .22lr ammo you can buy the c**p stuff at $.04/rd or the good stuff at $.07/rd or the really good stuff at $.15/rd. Its all up to you. I buy lots of the middle group since I shoot competition. I buy the cheap junk for practice and I run thru that like water. I never buy Remington .22 ammo, even for Remington firearms and even for practice in my good guns. Not worth the extra cleaning I need to do.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If you're looking for inexpensive insurance that you can shoot SOMETHING, even in the worst of times? Be it for portability, for shooting or hunting, or for bartering, or even to provide perhaps "just enough" defensive capability, until you can perhaps get your hands on something you may deem better once the situation is defined? Hard to beat .22LR.

Not terribly expensive even now to keep a good stock on hand. I was paying 3.4 cents per round for Aguila Super Extra HV copper for the last year or so before the pandemic. Love the ammo as it surprised me with its performance. Loved it even more so at that price.

I picked up 2000 rounds of Aguila at Basspro for 4cpr. Why more people are not shooting this, I'll never know
    Eley club is also a deal at 7cpr when it's on sale

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I picked up 2000 rounds of Aguila at Basspro for 4cpr. Why more people are not shooting this, I'll never know
    Eley club is also a deal at 7cpr when it's on sale

I bought some to try and the first 4 of my .22's I tried it in couldn't cycle it and I was ready to throw it out. Some guns wouldn't reliably chamber it after the first round and others couldn't eject it. Then one day I tried it in another .22 and it redeemed itself. In the last .22 it not only cycled reliably, but shot all most as accurately as Eley. I have never used ammo that worked so poorly in multiple guns and flawlessly with high accuracy in one particular gun.

My take on Aguilla is its DEFINTELY worth trying, but don't be surprised either way.

ETA: see my correction below, it wasn't Aguila that sucked it was ARMSCOR

Last edited:

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I actually have a lot of cheap 22 ammo and I just dont shoot it. I recently sold 2k rounds of winchester 22 to a mds member and will likely sell more soon. I have been shooting cci eley or lapua more and even with the extra cost, I like the increased accuracy and consistency. I decided I would rather load up on ammo my 22s like vs just having ammo.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most of my "recreational" shooting is suppressed 22s with the family, and maybe a 9mm PCC, so I go through a fair ammount of ammo. Have a private pistol range full of fun steel targets and kids that will dump 25rd mags faster than I can load them. I rarely take other calibers out unless i'm sighting in or to run a couple drills. I'm picky, only buy CCI subsonic or standard velocity(clean, accurate, works in everything), snagged a ton of it at 6-7cpr from walmart right before the Rona hit.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I bought some to try and the first 4 of my .22's I tried it in couldn't cycle it and I was ready to throw it out. Some guns wouldn't reliably chamber it after the first round and others couldn't eject it. Then one day I tried it in another .22 and it redeemed itself. In the last .22 it not only cycled reliably, but shot all most as accurately as Eley. I have never used ammo that worked so poorly in multiple guns and flawlessly with high accuracy in one particular gun.

My take on Aguilla is its DEFINTELY worth trying, but don't be surprised either way.

Curious with your mention above if you were shooting the standard velocity lead bullet, or the high velocity copper plated? Aguilla (for some unknown reason) calls both the standard and the high speed varieties "Super Extra". That seems to me only to complicate matters.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Not all .22 is created the same.

$0.04/ rd for copper plated bulk, but I have paid $0.08/rd for CCI subsonic, and $0.10/rd for clean CCI subs and HV.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Standard. There is almost no HV with significant accuracy that I have found. HV in almost any brand is accuracy compromised

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Interesting, it works great in all my semi autos except my AR-7. Nothing works in that gun, it is a complete POS.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    .04 is usually my threshold price. I love CCI but have been buying Aguila lately and other than one pistol, it has been great in my other firearms.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No, darn it I have made an error - the ammo I had trouble with wasn't Aguila, it was ARMSCOR. Aguila is OK in every gun I've tried it in. ARMSCOR is the tricky one. One batch of Aquila Target Rifle made back in the early 2000's shoots better in my target .22 than any version of Eley. I keep it for special occaisions

ETA: if anyone has a brick of Aguila Target Rifle with the old labeling I'll gladly pay 25 cents per round for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom