• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Hi everyone,

Anyone fletch their own arrows? Willing to teach me how they do it (or discuss their set up)? Located in MoCo/Rockville.

Despite trying to remember to shoot at different targets, I still end up nicking or going through my vanes.

Thanks in advance!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've got a cheapo AAE for my traditional fletchings attached using fletching tape. I wouldn't recommend it for gluing fletchings or vanes since the contact isn't that great.

I've done a lot with a Bitzenburger that was loaned to me years ago. Those are quite easy to use with both glue and fletching tape.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I've got a cheapo AAE for my traditional fletchings attached using fletching tape. I wouldn't recommend it for gluing fletchings or vanes since the contact isn't that great.

I've done a lot with a Bitzenburger that was loaned to me years ago. Those are quite easy to use with both glue and fletching tape.

I have used a Bitzenberger in the past that worked great especially with the helical clamps but never bought one.
    I have another Bohning for replacing blazer vanes when they get damaged to regular vanes but for the life of me I cannot recall where the hell I put it. it's a relatively inexpensive one but good for repair, not one or two dozen at a time.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Ah thanks for the suggestions. I've got prefletched blazer vanes on my FMJ 6 mm so repairing each will likely just follow the factory

Do yall use just super glue or something "fancy"?

Another silly question - I presume each of these vane installing devices standardize the distance they install the vane from the nock?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Ah thanks for the suggestions. I've got prefletched blazer vanes on my FMJ 6 mm so repairing each will likely just follow the factory

Do yall use just super glue or something "fancy"?

Another silly question - I presume each of these vane installing devices standardize the distance they install the vane from the nock?

Fletching cement is good because you can remove them and clean up residue easily off both the shaft and vanes. Superglue works, but it warps vanes and won't come off.

The clamps don't have any stop points for the vanes, but they usually have graduation lines. You just set your vanes where you want them.

gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    I use a bitzenberger jig. I learned from some trial and error and lots of you tube. Lancaster Archery has some great instructional videos. So does John Dudley. Glue is specific to the brand/kind of canes you are using. You save yourself a lot of headaches by following the instructions with the vanes. Good luck, it’s a lot of fun!

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I'm deciding between the easton brand jig vs. bitzenberger.

The more I watch and the more I read, it becomes a little bit more daunting (not actually doing it, but there being so many options. I'm not really planning on messing around right now with different fletches...just following the factor 2 degree offset so prob leaning more towards the easton, but love the freedom that the bitzenberger offers.

Did anyone test their arrows for their bow's preference right/left offset prior to fletching?

Any preferable solvents or tools to remove the fletchings?

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Fwiw, I have the bitzenburger and bohning triple tower jig. After the first time using the bohning, I'll never use the bitzenburger again. The bohning is so frickin easy to use.

***** +1 on the Bohning triple. I generally also use the slower to dry adhesives like Fletch-Tite Platinum for my carbon fiber target arrows as the adhesive seems to deal with the repeated shock hits against hay bales, or whatever target backer I am using. Some of the instant adhesives seem to just crack and the fletching comes off pretty quickly, IME.

The only real issue I've had with the Fletch-Tite Platinum adhesive is that it requires at least 24 hours to dry completely, more if it is humid wherever you are working..

Fast adhesives like Blazer Bond work well if you are in a hurry - less than a minute set and it's dry. It just doesn't last that long for me on my target arrows. It would be fine for hunting, etc...

The nice thing about the Bohning triple vane is just how consistent it is, with not much thinking. The tower jig just makes it all super easy.

There are several people at the range I go to who are really into primitive archery and they fletch their arrows using some other technique that looks a *lot* harder to me than just using the more modern triple vane jig. They do both 3 and 4 vane fletching and the work looks outstanding. They are using wood (Cedar) arrows I think.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide to get. The big jig is more expensive but makes the work much easier and less likely to be done out of alignment which affects the stability of the arrow in flight.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    No need for all that fancy stuff. I just use a fly tying bobbin.
    img_1071.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom