• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Each of the last three years when I've picked up my bow to practice (way too close to the start of the season :o ) it has been 3+ inches low at all yardages. Last year I didn't do anything about it because I barely hunted. The year before the pro shop told me the timing between the cams was off. I'm expecting the same news this time.

I leave the bow hanging by the upper cam year round in my garage. Could this be causing my problem? I never had this problem the previous 4 years I've had the bow, and I've always stored it the same way. It's probably due for a new string, but I don't think that could be the problem.

It's a Hoyt Rampage, which has two cams. Any thoughts?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Each of the last three years when I've picked up my bow to practice (way too close to the start of the season :o ) it has been 3+ inches low at all yardages. Last year I didn't do anything about it because I barely hunted. The year before the pro shop told me the timing between the cams was off. I'm expecting the same news this time.

I leave the bow hanging by the upper cam year round in my garage. Could this be causing my problem? I never had this problem the previous 4 years I've had the bow, and I've always stored it the same way. It's probably due for a new string, but I don't think that could be the problem.

It's a Hoyt Rampage, which has two cams. Any thoughts?

The string needs to be replaced about every 2 years if you want to keep it running on all cylinders. The string is under constant tension and will stretch each year leading to lost FPS and a drop in zero.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    String. Which means it will have to be timed again.

Don't take it to the same shop who told you the timing was off and DIDN'T replace the string while doing it.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

Don't take it to the same shop who told you the timing was off and DIDN'T replace the string while doing it.

What do you mean by timing? Where the nock goes to keep the arrow level? The cams have notches that attach to the string. Loosen the arms to make sure they are even. Attach new string, add nock and draw loop, then sight it in. Is it more complicated than that?

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    If it has twin cams, they need to roll over evenly. If you don't want to worry about it, then its not more complicated then you want it to be.

Did you read the OP's 3rd sentence?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What do you mean by timing? Where the nock goes to keep the arrow level? The cams have notches that attach to the string. Loosen the arms to make sure they are even. Attach new string, add nock and draw loop, then sight it in. Is it more complicated than that?
    Out of time cams means they don't stop at the same time. Sometimes it's just a matter of the limbs not being equally tightened to the riser. First thing to do is gradually tighten both limbs all the way down to the riser, then in equal increments loosen them to the preferred draw weight.

OP, you be better served if you didn't hang your bow in the garage or anywhere else that isn't climactically stable. It can play hell on your string. If your string is over 5 or 6 years old, time to replace it. Jefferson Archery in Jefferson Md does a real good job making custom strings for any bow.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Thanks guys. I figured I would be putting a new string on it...it's overdue. I had forgotten about Jefferson. I had been taking to the place in town where I bought it.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

To be fair, I don't remember if they asked me if I wanted a new string. They probably did, and I would have refused.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Out of time cams means they don't stop at the same time. Sometimes it's just a matter of the limbs not being equally tightened to the riser. First thing to do is gradually tighten both limbs all the way down to the riser, then in equal increments loosen them to the preferred draw weight.

OP, you be better served if you didn't hang your bow in the garage or anywhere else that isn't climactically stable. It can play hell on your string. If your string is over 5 or 6 years old, time to replace it. Jefferson Archery in Jefferson Md does a real good job making custom strings for any bow.

So it's more of an issue with the limbs not be equally tight? That's an easy fix. Usually one of my cams goes before the other. It's never affected the speed. I got an old bow restrung recently and the change in velocity was pretty incredible.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    If it has twin cams, they need to roll over evenly. If you don't want to worry about it, then its not more complicated then you want it to be.

Did you read the OP's 3rd sentence?

I did read the third sentence. What does that have to do with my question, and what does that have to do with the zero dropping? Depending on where you draw your string the cams will get tension differently. I can still hit a bullseye at 75yds with my bow and I doubt the cams are timed.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    So it's more of an issue with the limbs not be equally tight? That's an easy fix. Usually one of my cams goes before the other. It's never affected the speed. I got an old bow restrung recently and the change in velocity was pretty incredible.
    I did read the third sentence. What does that have to do with my question, and what does that have to do with the zero dropping? Depending on where you draw your string the cams will get tension differently. I can still hit a bullseye at 75yds with my bow and I doubt the cams are timed.

It depends. My bow is a twin cam. I specifically sought that out when I bought it. Most bows are single cam, or unequal cams. Twin cams have to move together exactly the same, or the bow suffers. That's why mine has to have the timing perfect. Single cams are the easiest, but the knock point usually isn't in the center of the string.

It can be the limb tension, but the more I think about it, the more string stretch makes sense. I haven't touched the limbs since I first set it up, and they don't back out on their own when it's not in use.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

No. It can be one cause that can be easily fixed. Some dual cam bows have yokes as part of their cable system. Those yokes can get out of adjustment. That is a little more involved to tune and would probably require a bow press to remedy.
    Your fist point was right though, out of sync cams cause un level nock travel, which I don't think is the problem here. I think he needs a new string, shoot at least 100 arrows then reset his pins.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    OMG why didn't I do this a few years ago. I picked up my bow today with the new strings, and WOW what a difference. I forgot how smooth this bow used to be. When it's a gradual decline, it's harder to feel differences in your gear. But picking this thing up today, I know just how bad it had gotten. It's a smooth draw, I have a firm backstop, and it is quieter. And it isn't a chore to shoot anymore. I'll be diligent about changing strings every few years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom