• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Why, it’s the little cuts that keep day to day life interesting!

I was working on an 1100, pretty much thought I had the disconnector winding up trapped between the backside of the interceptor latch and receiver wall figured out, test fired it and #%+@#!!! it did it AGAIN. So, I’m working on getting the locked up action apart and thought to myself, “I should have something holding the bolt back cuz when this lets loose .. WHAM! The guns owner was beside me and swears he heard it when I pulled the extractor literally out from stabbed deep inside my finger ...

Right about the time ^that^ fvck up was healing I’m using a box cuter with a new blade in it like a short sword to slice up some cardboard for getting firebox tinder started and sliced right through not just the end of my thumb (and you cannot see it in the photo) but cut my thumbnail practically clean in half. Gets better. I get that bleeding stopped and then go back to the floor Jack I was putting new seals in and, without thinking stick the fresh cut right into hydraulic fluid. Fvcking OWWWWWWWEEEEEEE! Better than an espresso for waking you up, I’m tellin ya!

Since then I’ve stupidly or absent-mindedly stuck that cut into gasoline, denatured alcohol, Ed’s Red, and a steel bristle on a wire brush that was in the back of a dark too chest drawer I was digging through (hell, the cut’s still fresh, every time it starts to heal I stick it in something else caustic)!

At least once a month either I say to myself or else someone else comments, “No shit, there was really a time they gave you fvcking real boolits?!

I could go on for hours .... :sad20:

Not related to the thread but while looking at your photo I noticed how clear your fingerprints were in the photo. A thought occurred to me and I wondered if criminals have ever tried to replicate someone’s finger print from a photo? A quick google search turned up some real experiments where photos of finger prints were successfully used to defeat fingerprint security systems.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...int-used-criminals-fool-security-systems.html

Nice Boo Boo BTW. Those little zingers at tips the fingers are annoyingly painful sometimes.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Wow that seems actually quite terrifying in a way. Was there some sort of protocol for possible infection like that? What virus were you analyzing at the time?

Yep, scared me big time.
    “SSPE is a very rare type of encephalitis which can follow natural (wild) measles virus infection.

‘Subacute’ means a slow start and, usually, a gradual progression.
    ‘Sclerosing’ means a reaction which damages and scars the brain.
    ‘Pan-encephalitis’ means that all areas of the brain are affected.
    ‘Chronic Encephalitis’ means a type of encephalitis that has a slow time course.

Unfortunately, SSPE is a progressive form of encephalitis without a cure. Despite multiple attempts, no satisfactory treatment has been developed. In a few cases there has been a slowing down of the disease process or a remission following use of certain drug combinations, however, most of those affected die within about five years of diagnosis.”

https://www.encephalitis.info/subacute-sclerosing-pan-encephalitis-sspe

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    One time I dropped my knife and the obvious reaction is to try and catch it, right??? Well the knife hit the counter perfectly and I caught the sharpy side with the side of my finger. Deep enough where the knife stayed in my finger as I showed my wife.

All knives hit the floor now as I do Matrix moves to get away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Until you nail your thumb to crown molding with an air brad nailer, don't call yourself dumb.

My brother was a framing carpenter back in the late 80’s. They were building some custom waterfront home and he was trying to hold a hip rafter over his head to nail it to the ridge board. The sun was in his eyes and he was straining to hold align the rafter and keep his balance too.

He shot a 3” 10d nail through his thumb and nailed himself to the rafter. His boss had to climb up and cut the head of the nail off to free his hand.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    My brother was a framing carpenter back in the late 80’s. They were building some custom waterfront home and he was trying to hold a hip rafter over his head to nail it to the ridge board. The sun was in his eyes and he was straining to hold align the rafter and keep his balance too.

He shot a 3” 10d nail through his thumb and nailed himself to the rafter. His boss had to climb up and cut the head of the nail off to free his hand.

Luckily, I guess, because I was alone, I was able to yank my thumb away, over the brad. No sun in my eyes, just not enough attention to what I was doing. I learned a valuable, if not painful lesson.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    A friend of mine called me one day and asked me to come to the job site he was on to pull a nail for him. He was building a deck and shot a nail through his foot and into the deck. His hammer was on the deck about 2’ out of reach.
    He worked for his dad. His dad was on another job about ten minutes away and I was over an hour away. He didn’t want his dad to know that he nailed himself to the deck so he sat there nailed to the deck while he waited for me to get there and pull the nail.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    A friend of mine called me one day and asked me to come to the job site he was on to pull a nail for him. He was building a deck and shot a nail through his foot and into the deck. His hammer was on the deck about 2’ out of reach.
    He worked for his dad. His dad was on another job about ten minutes away and I was over an hour away. He didn’t want his dad to know that he nailed himself to the deck so he sat there nailed to the deck while he waited for me to get there and pull the nail.

Brought back a memory. When I was about 12 there was a house being built next door to my uncle and my brother, sister and me had gone inside to look around. While on the first floor, my sister dropped a necklace which then fell through a hole into the basement.

Being a good big brother, I went around the back of the house to go inside the basement. I found the necklace on a pile of scrap wood and picked it up. As I went to turn around, realized I was stuck to a piece of wood about 3 feet long and saw the top of the nail coming through my sneaker. Did not even feel it until I pulled my foot free.

No long term damage, but the resulting infection had me laid up for a while and is something I was careful not to repeat in my later construction career.

Sometimes, we do learn from our mistakes!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    One time I dropped my knife and the obvious reaction is to try and catch it, right??? Well the knife hit the counter perfectly and I caught the sharpy side with the side of my finger. Deep enough where the knife stayed in my finger as I showed my wife.

All knives hit the floor now as I do Matrix moves to get away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've caught a falling, brand new bread knife. 10 stitches. We were dumb enough to go to urgent care instead of the ER. It literally took the doc a full hour to lay those stitches. The nurse, my wife, even myself could have done better.

You only catch a knife once in a lifetime. The scar in my thumb is enough reminder that "falling knives have no handle".

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    PSA: your finger will bog down and stop the motor on a 4 1/2” angle grinder if the cutoff wheel pulls your finger into the guard.
    2nd PSA: always take the stupid guard off of your angle grinder.

Attachments

• 859D107F-F75A-4CF8-B052-B9D9B9F21AEE.jpeg
      859D107F-F75A-4CF8-B052-B9D9B9F21AEE.jpeg
      10.4 KB · Views: 118

Huasopodrido

Aug 12, 2014
    Heck yeah I was cutting a steak just fresh off The Grill and lordy lordy I cut too close to the thumb, part of a meal was part of my thumb, one does learn though

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh

Funny how many of us have had some similar experiences in this thread :D

I was putting up 2x4 blocking for lattice under a pretty low porch about 10 years ago, working with some friends. Nail gun bounced during a double-tap and went thru my left middle finger. Just missed the bone. No room under the porch for help, so I yelled for someone to slide me a hammer. Got half-cocked remarks why do you need a hammer, you have the nailer. Needless to say they didn't believe me until I finished and slid out from under the porch with the 2 holes in my finger dripping blood. Thought one of the guys was going to pass out. :lol2:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    PSA: your finger will bog down and stop the motor on a 4 1/2” angle grinder if the cutoff wheel pulls your finger into the guard.
    2nd PSA: always take the stupid guard off of your angle grinder.

I’m sorry to see an injury like that. It sounded painful. However I’ll say under most circumstances the guard does provide a good degree of safety from other potential injuries. Here is photo of a grinding wheel that broke apart while my guys were using it without a guard.

One of the pieces of broken wheel flew over the operators shoulder and hit a worker standing behind him in the face. His safety glasses saved him from an eye injury but he still had to get a few stitches in his forehead.

9db0918da7997e93ef72ea0a66c3aac1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom