• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Outrider in three, two, one .... :innocent0
    I believe we've already fought this fight.
    On the whole, I agree, brakes suck on a firing line. I admit, 80% of my ARs have QD brakes. However, the only time I shoot un-suppressed is when I'm testing a new ammo or reload. Once I establish its stability, on goes the can.
    I've had the pleasure of shooting next to .308s as well as .50 BMGs with brakes. That was no fun. :)

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    On the whole, I agree, brakes suck on a firing line. I admit, 80% of my ARs have QD brakes. However, the only time I shoot un-suppressed is when I'm testing a new ammo or reload. Once I establish its stability, on goes the can.
    I've had the pleasure of shooting next to .308s as well as .50 BMGs with brakes. That was no fun. :)

I’ll be in a similar ballgame with these dead air micro brakes i picked up to be able to qd swap my wolfman suppressor around a bit. Hopefully the brakes aren’t awful to be next to when testing.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

Yeah I got rocked by a guy with a braked 308 right next to me last time at the range. He always managed to pull the trigger a tenth of a second before me too :lol:. That was fun, but I'm not worried about the next guy, I'm worried about me :)

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Yeah I got rocked by a guy with a braked 308 right next to me last time at the range. He always managed to pull the trigger a tenth of a second before me too :lol:. That was fun, but I'm not worried about the next guy, I'm worried about me :)

Sounds like you needed to shoot faster!

It just always amazes me. People at ranges complain about lots of stuff. Oh the hot brass touched me. The brass landed on my precious gun. People shooting fast... I mean the list goes on and on. However muzzle brakes I find to be about the most annoying thing and no one seems to complain about them.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Guns are loud, brakes cut recoil, I run them on several rifles. Figure if people are looking for peace and quiet at a rifle range, they went to the wrong place, also a good part of the reason I joined a smaller private range that rarely has anyone there outside of hunting season. There are things you can do to cut backblast in certain cases though, many suppressors have blast shields available for their QD mounts ASR blast shield. I do run them occasionally when I don't want to run a can or take off a brake, the Griffin shields are actually part of my Optimus rifle cal configurations, so I have them anyway, so there is that option when waiting for your stamp, or just because. Other than that, not all brakes are equal, my big 3 gun brakes are kinda obnoxious, and I only run them outdoors in the open, but most of the milder brakes, especially the Griffin minimalist and Hammer comps are pretty docile as brakes go.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Sounds like you needed to shoot faster!

It just always amazes me. People at ranges complain about lots of stuff. Oh the hot brass touched me. The brass landed on my precious gun. People shooting fast... I mean the list goes on and on. However muzzle brakes I find to be about the most annoying thing and no one seems to complain about them.
    I tried altering my pace, waiting a little longer, going a little faster....no joke, six shots in a row were .1 second ahead of mine. All I could do was laugh :lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I tried altering my pace, waiting a little longer, going a little faster....no joke, six shots in a row were .1 second ahead of mine. All I could do was laugh :lol2:

Try that next to a guy with a brake and a binary trigger. Hoofa!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I agree, I would run them on on my Flash hiders and it was helpful in cutting down the noise close up and directing it out and away. Makes it more like a 14.5" or 16" barrel blast.

Have a couple "multi-purpose" SBRs that are probably the best example of how the muzzle device adds versatility. I ran my 10.5" in 5.56 on a couple competition stages for fun and familiarity. The brake and tuneable gas actually made the little thing competitive, and fun as hell on close range "hose stages". Most of the time for defensive drills the blast of the brake isn't desirable, and I don't want to bang the rifle around with an expensive and hot suppressor hanging off the end. The blast shield basically blows the blast forward, makes it pleasant to shoot at the range, doesn't affect POA/POI and keeps it as short as possible. For fun, at my home range, shooting with others, or if I'm running less demanding defensive drills, then I can slap the can on and it's a nice quiet 16" rifle. Can swap between the can, blast shield or brake in about 10 seconds.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When you've sat on the firing line with a .50 on your port side having a 'tank' brake on its muzzle, you having ear plugs and cans on, goes home with your right ear ringing ...
    That sucks.
    I don't go to the range for peace and quiet. I do go there to shoot without more damage being done to my ever fading hearing.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    When you've sat on the firing line with a .50 on your port side having a 'tank' brake on its muzzle, you having ear plugs and cans on, goes home with your right ear ringing ...
    That sucks.
    I don't go to the range for peace and quiet. I do go there to shoot without more damage being done to my ever fading hearing.

na, a 50BMG is worth the noise. Sounds like you just need a better set of hearing protection. I was next to a semi auto Surbu doing a mag or two as quick as they could pull the trigger. One set of quality ears and my ears did not bother me at all when it was over. That said, I had something blown in my eye, the box of ammo was flying, the shooting mat was folded over and the concrete had no dust/dirt left on it within 10ft.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    na, a 50BMG is worth the noise. Sounds like you just need a better set of hearing protection. I was next to a semi auto Surbu doing a mag or two as quick as they could pull the trigger. One set of quality ears and my ears did not bother me at all when it was over. That said, I had something blown in my eye, the box of ammo was flying, the shooting mat was folded over and the concrete had no dust/dirt left on it within 10ft.

My bad, I meant to say I had silicone plugs under Howard Leighton cans on(volume turned off) and the guy was two benches away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom