• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    The rubber coating on one of my scopes has turned into a sticky mess leaving black residue on my fingers every time I touch it. Has anyone encountered this & what did you do to fix it?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Yes, happens all the time to rubber coatings. Why did it happen? Heat. Oil residue. UV. I believe the process to fix it is called vulcanization. I usually use alcohol to remove the sticky mess. It is never the same after that though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Vulcanization is the process to make the sticky mess that is natural rubber into something solid.

But once it turns back sticky, as has been said, it is never the same.

If this is a quality scope, contact the manufacturer.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Goo-gone (a citrus based cleaner) might help get rid of the sticky residue.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The rubber was formed by bonding lots of smaller molecules together in a reaction called crosslinking. UV light, heat, and time all contribute to the undoing of that initial reaction. You're unlikely to reverse it. Best bet is to switch the scope, or remove all the rubber.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Yes, happens all the time to rubber coatings. Why did it happen? Heat. Oil residue. UV. I believe the process to fix it is called vulcanization. I usually use alcohol to remove the sticky mess. It is never the same after that though.

My findings exactly, including a set of E.German Carl Zeiss aus Jena 7x40 EDFs that turned powdery, then sticky. The place I got them, DeutcheOptic, replaced the coverings for me. A cheap Bushnell rangefinder and some even cheaper "Trashco" (Tasco) 8x21 binos also got insanely sticky and nasty, those hit the trash or a yard sale. Alcohol didn't do much for those, either...

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The rubber coating on one of my scopes has turned into a sticky mess leaving black residue on my fingers every time I touch it. Has anyone encountered this & what did you do to fix it?

Try File 13. If that doesn't work cry in the corner for an hour.

KiloTango

Mar 11, 2021
    I have seen this happen to consumer electronics products that have a thin "soft touch" coating and was able to remove the sticky layer using isopropyl alcohol (91%+ was more effective). I started by wrapping the item with one layer of absorbent material such as a paper shop towel and then saturating it with alcohol to let it soak. A non-scratch scrubbing pad and elbow grease took care of the rest. Other cleaning chemicals may also work such as PurplePower or SimpleGreen spray depending on the type of coating. Rubber cement thinner has also worked for stubborn coatings.

Heads up...this may also remove printed silkscreen lettering and thinner can damage some plastics.

If the deteriorating rubber coating is much thicker like an over-molding or impact sleeve, it may be easier to cut and peel off the entire layer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom