• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, how important is it really? Does it depend on the trimmer?

I recently got a Lyman Xpress case trimmer and loving it. It is cutting pretty consistent lengths and it appears to be cutting the cases pretty cleanly. I am not seeing burrs of any kind. I know the risk is damaging the bullet in seating, but how important is it REALLY to chamfer and deburr?

If it looks like it is cutting them cleanly and no visible burrs, just skip deburring and just chamfer? Always do both no matter what? Meh, relax and load the cartridges now?

Also do you always tumble after trimming? Or just load them up. Brass shavings retained are very, very minimal.

Right now in the last week I've resized and trimmed about 900 cases. About another 500 or so left of my 223/5.56

I guess while I have all you here too, swaging pockets? I have a lee App and primer pocket swager. Just run everything through? Or take the time to only run the crimped cases through? Just wondering if there is extra wear by running them all, or would it help with uniforming the pockets some?

Until now I've been using a manual case trimmer, chamfering and deburring the cases I resized and only resizing the ones that were over max length. Not been reloading much rifle, maybe 150 rounds total just to work up some loads and a 50 round box of some plinking 62gr loads now that I have a few loads worked up.

I figured I'd go through the work of getting ALL my spent brass ready to load. I also don't particularly want to waste time with little to no gain. Probably 80% of this will be loaded for plinking. I'll bother sorting by head stamp to load some match ammo when I got to load it. Any serious gain to just grabbing a handful of "prepared the same way" cases of 223 or 5.56 when loading plinking ammo? I don't particularly care to get much better accuracy than what anyone's factory basic 55/62gr 223 load will get you. Better is nice, but I don't care too much about investing a ton of time and effort in doing that.

I trimmed everything to the same length as I figured that would improve accuracy some and its fairly easy with the Lyman Xpress. Also then likely I won't have to worry about trimming ANYTHING again for a couple of loadings (or more) rather than needing to check everything, sort what needs trimming, what doesn't, etc. Of course after this all is fired, I'll check a bunch of cases to be sure nothing looks like it is growing remotely close to the max length.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I chamfer/deburr everything I trim, which means not straight case or straight wall cases. I do this on a prep station so not a big time consumer. I never tumble afterwards. No need. I also have a crimp cutter head on the station as well as a primer pocket brush, so it's kind of a one-stop-shop. Once I finish a case, it's ready to load.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Chamfer/deburr after any trimming, and after tumbling with SS pins for more than 1 hour as this can leave a small lip/edge on the case mouths. Compressed air is used on each case after deburring to blow out any brass particles prior to loading.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I chamfer/deburr everything I trim, which means not straight case or straight wall cases. I do this on a prep station so not a big time consumer. I never tumble afterwards. No need. I also have a crimp cutter head on the station as well as a primer pocket brush, so it's kind of a one-stop-shop. Once I finish a case, it's ready to load.

^ +1

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I chamfer / deburr all calibers after I trim. Been handloading for 40 years, started when I was 23. I did notice for my rifle calibers when I trim to the minimum length it did tighten up my groups.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    used an Old Lyman case trimmer at first decades ago then chamfer / debur with the
    RCBS tool. then to the current Giruad self powered & Tri-way the later is powdered by
    a * chinese* DC motor a spindle with a B16 chuck,2 pulleys / belt, works great and is
    portable if need be.

all my rifle brass gets trimmed (if needed)
    pistol brass is basically a one n done inside chamfer

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom