• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kool361

Apr 16, 2020
    Damascus
    Hopefully I have this in the right place. A friend of mine had purchased a handgun on Sept 14 2013. When doing so they were told that they were not required to have an HQL at that time. I did some research and found that the law was passed in April of that year for the HQL. So my question is were they misinformed on this? Also since they don't currently have an HQL do they need to have one in order to be in possession of said handgun and if they wanted to sell it what would be the procedure? It's a Kimber Custom 2 45

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Hopefully I have this in the right place. A friend of mine had purchased a handgun on Sept 14 2013. When doing so they were told that they were not required to have an HQL at that time. I did some research and found that the law was passed in April of that year for the HQL. So my question is were they misinformed on this? Also since they don't currently have an HQL do they need to have one in order to be in possession of said handgun and if they wanted to sell it what would be the procedure? It's a Kimber Custom 2 45
    The law went into effect on October 1st of that year so on September 14th, no - they would not have needed the HQL. I bought a H&K USP 45 after the law was passed but before the law took effect.

You don't have to have an HQL to sell a handgun - only to purchase one. You also don't need an HQL to keep the guns you had before the law took effect.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Between April and end of September 2013 , there was a Maryland Specific buying spree of equal or greater magnitude than the ongoing Zombie Apocalypse/ Burning Cities/ 2020 Election joint Panic . ( At least as far as Handguns and vaguely scary looking rifles , ammo availability and prices only moderately affected .)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Between April and end of September 2013 , there was a Maryland Specific buying spree of equal or greater magnitude than the ongoing Zombie Apocalypse/ Burning Cities/ 2020 Election joint Panic . ( At least as far as Handguns and vaguely scary looking rifles , ammo availability and prices only moderately affected .)
    I purchased that H&K USP on consignment through a shop that wouldn't release the pistol until the MSP came through with the "not disapproved" paperwork. That pistol languished in Maryland's "7-day wait" jail for the better part of 6 weeks before I was allowed to take it home due to the backlog of purchases the MSP was dealing with.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I purchased that H&K USP on consignment through a shop that wouldn't release the pistol until the MSP came through with the "not disapproved" paperwork. That pistol languished in Maryland's "7-day wait" jail for the better part of 6 weeks before I was allowed to take it home due to the backlog of purchases the MSP was dealing with.

For some of us, that delay lasted for several months.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Seems that if the MSP can't complete their work within the designated time frame, it should be released automatically at the end of the 7 days. Of course, I know the MGA wrote the law with the intention of keeping handguns from as many people as possible, and they think they should be able to control us all since they are soooo intelligent.

I do not have and will never acquire an HQL! Can't buy everything that I would like but have what I need, and the state will not be profiting from their infringement upon my rights.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ironically , that purchase happened the very day the House of Delegates passed 281 . I literally left the State House , and proceeded to the closest LGS ( since out of business for unrelated reasons ) .

I did ask how long that 77R's were taking . The answer was that the Not Disapproveds they had recieved that day had been submitted 20 days prior . I mentally shrugged . That was within the norms of 1980's wait times , and I could hang with that. But the Rush was already started .

Turns out they had policy of waiting for actual Not Disapproved . And in fairness , most FFL then did, in no small part due to MSP intimidation . Insert rapid court action by MSI and MLFDA , and the actual letter of the law became recognized .

To Wit : After Seven Days , without recieving a Disapproved or Hold notice from MSP , a Maryland Regulated Weapons Dealer * MAY* release a firearm , but they are Not Required to do so .

So for the next 5 months , the first conversation between a prospective purchaser and FFL was " What's your policy on Early Release ? " . Developed to be a 3 way split : No Release , Automatic 8th Day , or something inbetween .( Inbetween could include previous regular customer , holder or things such as CCW , C&R 003 , Designated Collector Letter , etc . Or 10th day , or 14th day . These FFL weren't necessarily @holes . Due to MSP's Memorandum of Understanding with FBI , only MSP could run a NICS , and some dealers felt that due diligence required some level of vetting , rather than releasing to random person off the street totally unknown to them .)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Brings back memories...

Where the hell did THAT time go since the MGA's FSA 2013 O'Malley Shit Show?

For those keeping score, Baltimore has seen 2,338 murders in the years since that POS 2013 O'Malley law was passed.

Feel safe yet? Well, now as then of course, it was never about safety, now was it?

God Bless MSI, and their efforts on our behalf to have this ******** overturned. Remember MSI if you can see clear to do so, as I know many here do. They certainly deserve it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom