• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wiper

Apr 14, 2021
    bridgetraffic2.jpg

Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Helping a family member move furniture in Rosedale yesterday.

Going West at 9 a.m. we could see the East-Bound Traffic stacking up past the Route 2 North Exit.

Coming back at 3:30 the Traffic Info sign on Route 2 said "Bay Bridge 9 mi. 48 Mins."

A little knowledge cut that down to about 20 mins. But Really?

So traffic both ways was literally moving 5 mph.

Disgusting!

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    Ocean City is the second largest city in Maryland during the summer. The bridge’s traffic capacity is 1,500 vehicles per lane, per hour under perfect conditions. On summer Friday’s, about 60,000 vehicles head towards the ocean, mostly during daylight hours, do the math. This problem has been baked into the design since day one and will never go away without additional infrastructure. But hey, we can trust our politicians to fix this, right?

51262551745_c0c51d67d8_b.jpg
    [/url]Untitled by Speed Freak, on Flickr[/IMG]

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    We left the OC area mid-afternoon Sunday. That was a long slog, those last 20 miles before the westbound bridge. Moved along pretty well ON the bridge, and then opened up all the way until: The Beltway. Back to a parking lot. Yeah, the economy is definitely picking back up.

Last edited:

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I live on the Broadneck Peninsula next to the Bay Bridge, so I have me finger on the pulse of Rt 50 traffic. The traffic has gotten much worse since the toll booths were taken out. Before, I theorize, you had 4 lanes slowing into ever how many toll plazas were open, then merging slowly into 2-3 lanes on the bridge. Now it's 3 lanes of traffic having to merge all of a sudden to 2-3 lanes (one lane having to slow to get onto the single lane west-bound span). Whenever you have freeway traffic having to slow down to merge into fewer lanes it will be a mess.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I live on the Broadneck Peninsula next to the Bay Bridge, so I have me finger on the pulse of Rt 50 traffic. The traffic has gotten much worse since the toll booths were taken out. Before, I theorize, you had 4 lanes slowing into ever how many toll plazas were open, then merging slowly into 2-3 lanes on the bridge. Now it's 3 lanes of traffic having to merge all of a sudden to 2-3 lanes (one lane having to slow to get onto the single lane west-bound span). Whenever you have freeway traffic having to slow down to merge into fewer lanes it will be a mess.

We must be neighbors and i feel like some one is making this as painful as possible (ala bridge gate in NJ) so the cries that, "Something must be done." Are heard loud and clear, far and wide.:tinfoil:

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Ocean City is the second largest city in Maryland during the summer. The bridge’s traffic capacity is 1,500 vehicles per lane, per hour under perfect conditions. On summer Friday’s, about 60,000 vehicles head towards the ocean, mostly during daylight hours, do the math. This problem has been baked into the design since day one and will never go away without additional infrastructure. But hey, we can trust our politicians to fix this, right?

No, it was NOT baked into the design since day one. The bridge opened in 1954 or there abouts. There was a small FRACTION of beach goers at that time. Fast forward 66 years with no real improvement (other than a parallel) there lies the problem. There was no real SERIOUS problem until the 70's or later.
    Going through Cambridge and Trappe was a bigger headache.

Calvert Co to Dorcester bridge has been the logical choice but locals on both sides don't want it. (I don't blame them but.........)

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    No, it was NOT baked into the design since day one. The bridge opened in 1954 or there abouts. There was a small FRACTION of beach goers at that time. Fast forward 66 years with no real improvement (other than a parallel) there lies the problem. There was no real SERIOUS problem until the 70's or later.
    Going through Cambridge and Trappe was a bigger headache.

Calvert Co to Dorcester bridge has been the logical choice but locals on both sides don't want it. (I don't blame them but.........)

The old Kent Narrows draw bridge was the worst.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The original bay bridge construction in the 50s was part of the realignment of US 301 prior to the interstate system being constructed. It facilitated north-south traffic as an alternate to US1.

dweissman

Mar 23, 2020
    Bring back the ferry! If it's going to take 1-2 hours just to cross the bridge, I would rather do that on a pleasant boat ride than in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Choppin

Coming in hot
    Jun 22, 2020
    Fern-Dizzle

Now you know how northern AA county folks feel when we drive to the peninsula straight up Ritchie lol.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    We must be neighbors and i feel like some one is making this as painful as possible (ala bridge gate in NJ) so the cries that, "Something must be done." Are heard loud and clear, far and wide.:tinfoil:

This 8s precisely what is happening and the developers are pushing 8t because they have interests along the other proposed routes.

Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I wish all of the rail line on the Shore had not been destroyed.

Trains would make a lot of sense here, from a Commuter and a Reach the Beach perpsective.

Make the old bridge rail lines and build another level on the new bridge, if it could handle it...

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Can't wait until they build the new third parallel span of the Bay Bridge and even MORE traffic will be shoe-horned into the narrow lanes before and after the bridges. What fun!
    Why not put one further south so all those No. Va. and DC folks don't have to drive 60 miles north just to go 60 miles south again????

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Can't wait until they build the new third parallel span of the Bay Bridge and even MORE traffic will be shoe-horned into the narrow lanes before and after the bridges. What fun!
    Why not put one further south so all those No. Va. and DC folks don't have to drive 60 miles north just to go 60 miles south again????

You mean like Calvert County as mentioned above? I lived there in the 80's and they were in arms AGAINST at that time. I seriously doubt their minds have changed. Maybe if anyone west of Laurel was not permitted to cross the bridge they might build and ES might have civility again. :)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Major Air Show in OC this past weekend. I'd venture to say it's one of the the busiest weekends all Summer long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom