• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    So a friend of mine was downsizing his collection and offered this rifle to me in exchange for leveling some dirt at his house.

It belonged to his father who was a armorer for the Army shooting team. It was rebarreled, glass bedded, and definitely has some trigger work. He also gave me the original sporter barrel chambered in 222 rem.

My neighbor says he thinks it’s chamber in 222 rem mag but we have no idea the twist or the manufacture of the barrel. All I can find on it is made in Finland.

My original plan was to maybe rechamber it to 223ai or maybe swap the barrel to my 700 and chamber it to 22-250. If the twist is 1-14 or close to it would defeat my purpose to shoot heavy bullets.

My other option which seems to appeal to me the most is keeping it the way it is and see how the 222 rem mag performs. That is of course after confirming that is actually the round it’s chambered for.

I have plenty of varget and 52-55 gr bullets just need a source for a few pieces of brass and cheap dies. I don’t want to invest to much in reloading components if there maybe a chance I go a different direction.

I am intrigued by the nostalgia of the grandfather rifle of the 700. I would like to find a similar era scope that may have been used on a rifle of this type.

Attachments

• 41AFE235-6D23-48D6-93C8-38CCA9A5D3BC.jpg
      41AFE235-6D23-48D6-93C8-38CCA9A5D3BC.jpg
      116.5 KB · Views: 121

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Nice rifle.
    The twist should be easily to determine with a cleaning rod and a tight patch.
    What is the diameter of the boltface?
    What condition are the throat and bore in?

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Nice rifle.
    The twist should be easily to determine with a cleaning rod and a tight patch.
    What is the diameter of the boltface?
    What condition are the throat and bore in?

It measures 1-14 which is what I figured it was. Bore and throat are immaculate and the bolt face is .384

I have 5 or 6 unopened boxes of Sierra 53 gr bthp that I got from him a while back. I’m guessing they are pre match king and say bench rest on them. My neighbor is pretty sure that was his fathers go to bullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom