• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    ...and here are the photos I promised showing some of the less than stellar machining.

Attachments

• M41 frame A.jpg
      M41 frame A.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 127
    • M41 frame B.jpg
      M41 frame B.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 129
    • M41 slide A.jpg
      M41 slide A.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 133
    • M41 slide B.jpg
      M41 slide B.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 135
    • M41 slide C.jpg
      M41 slide C.jpg
      35 KB · Views: 138

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Wow, you weren't kidding about the sub-par machining. I'm shocked. Like I said before, I have one of the last HS Citations to leave the CT factory before the doors closed and the issues with it are final finish. They didn't take the time to work sharp machined edges and the surface finish isn't the greatest, def. substandard when compared to previous generations of HS pistols. But nothing quite as rough as your 41. Ouch!

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    -Auction house forgot to pack the Herrett target grips so after a call they were sent out. Amazing quality. A type of Herrett that I've never seen before. Scoured the 'net for photos to see comps but no luck. Amazing woodwork!

Very cool grips! This thread makes me want to check what the serial is on my dads’s 41. Pretty sure he’s been competing with it since the 60’s.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Wow, you weren't kidding about the sub-par machining. I'm shocked. Like I said before, I have one of the last HS Citations to leave the CT factory before the doors closed and the issues with it are final finish. They didn't take the time to work sharp machined edges and the surface finish isn't the greatest, def. substandard when compared to previous generations of HS pistols. But nothing quite as rough as your 41. Ouch!

Yeah, it definitely smarts. I talked with a couple of folks at the Oaks PA show today who were selling old 41's and they mentioned that perhaps this was made in Brazil (it's a 1983 gun, IIRC), and the result of those things when manufacturing moves around.

They said I may wish to contact S&W to see what they say, and that they may even replace it. IDK what to do in that regard. It shoots great, looks great when it's all put together, and I am uncertain regarding what I may get from modern production.

Oh, your all-in $850 price...you should be charged with grand theft. You STOLE that gun. I salute you, sir. Well done!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    A quick update for those who might want a 41. I've run across an upcoming PA auction, about half-way between Harrisburg and State College in the boonies, which has a DOZEN various S&W 41 lots. If you were serious about getting one and wanting to save a buck this the probably the best opportunity. No online bidding, you'd have to contact the auctioneer to discuss phone or absentee bidding if you didn't want to make the roughly 2 hr drive. Me, I'd spend the gas$ to be able to inspect everything as the auction photos are sub par for sure. Long's Auction Service, being held in Port Royal PA. Worth a phone call. I'd check to see if they honor 03s as most of the no-dash 41s are old enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom