• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    How is quad loading with it? That's really my only complaint with my current 930 after the Or3gun upgrades.

The M3K, 1301 Comp, and probably JM Pro 940 are all going to need the loading port opened up even more than they have done at the factory for the most efficient quad loading. There are plenty of guys who do not open them up, but they just do not cut the mustard if you want to get serious about it.

The only shotgun that is truly quad load ready is, wait for it, the Benelli M2 3 Gun Performance Shop.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    A few Mods and the 930 runs well. A little time with a file and sander and the quad loading isn’t an issue either.

Agreed, I have the 930 and it's run quite well after the OR3GUN treatment.

I still can't quite figure out where and how much material to remove to open up the loading bay though.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Agreed, I have the 930 and it's run quite well after the OR3GUN treatment.

I still can't quite figure out where and how much material to remove to open up the loading bay though.

Here is a photo of my old JM pro. I went a little to far towards the magazine tube threads.

The key is to just take your time. Start with hand files and then graduate to a dremel with a sanding head on it. Do a little bit at a time and then put it back together and try it. If you dont feel like you went far enough, then try again.

Attachments

• IMG_20160815_085717.jpg
      IMG_20160815_085717.jpg
      160.3 KB · Views: 232

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A few Mods and the 930 runs well. A little time with a file and sander and the quad loading isn’t an issue either.

Yes, best and worst thing about the 930 JM is that with a fair amount of work, you can have a competitive 3 gun shotgun for $600-ish. Main thing I did with mine to run reliably was to fit the gas piston/rings properly, they were way too tight out of the box, and slowed down a lot with any dirt. Just a little trim with an automotive piston ring file, some internal polishing and it runs through thousands of shells between cleaning without an issue. Wanted the 1301, love Berettas, but really if I am going to put that kind of money into a dedicated 3 gun shotgun, probably better to go straight for an M2, then I circle back, have more family stuff to do, and between ammo and covid BS haven't made it to many matches in the past couple years. Lots of stuff takes priority over spending a couple grand on the ultimate 3 gun shotgun that I might only get to use a couple times a year. And for that reason I'm glad to have spent the time and saved the money getting my 930JM about as far as the platform can go.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Here is a photo of my old JM pro. I went a little to far towards the magazine tube threads.

The key is to just take your time. Start with hand files and then graduate to a dremel with a sanding head on it. Do a little bit at a time and then put it back together and try it. If you dont feel like you went far enough, then try again.

Damn, that's quite a bit of material. Did you do any shaving of the forend as well?

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Yes, best and worst thing about the 930 JM is that with a fair amount of work, you can have a competitive 3 gun shotgun for $600-ish. Main thing I did with mine to run reliably was to fit the gas piston/rings properly, they were way too tight out of the box, and slowed down a lot with any dirt. Just a little trim with an automotive piston ring file, some internal polishing and it runs through thousands of shells between cleaning without an issue. Wanted the 1301, love Berettas, but really if I am going to put that kind of money into a dedicated 3 gun shotgun, probably better to go straight for an M2, then I circle back, have more family stuff to do, and between ammo and covid BS haven't made it to many matches in the past couple years. Lots of stuff takes priority over spending a couple grand on the ultimate 3 gun shotgun that I might only get to use a couple times a year. And for that reason I'm glad to have spent the time and saved the money getting my 930JM about as far as the platform can go.

That's kind of the direction I'm thinking. It'd be great if I could pick up a 940 at a decent price but it'll be a few years before that happens I think.

I haven't heard of trimming the piston rings down, but haven't run more than 500 shells through it without a cleaning.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Damn, that's quite a bit of material. Did you do any shaving of the forend as well?

Yes I did, plus I put that little thingy in from OR3gun.

To be honest, shaving the forearm is the last thing you need to do, but is the least scary. The most important and toughest thing to do is figure out how deep you want to cut into the receiver. It doesn't even have to be the same depth on both sides as it depends on if you are loading weak or strong hand.

Check out the cut on my Benelli - not nearly as deep on the loading port side as it is on the opposite side. Unfortunately, I switched from quad loading strong hand and started weak hand as it is much quicker for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20151127_052713 (2).jpg
      IMG_20151127_052713 (2).jpg
      99.2 KB · Views: 200
    • Forearm Shave 1@96d95b8870204ea08ce682f0e5915e80.jpg
      Forearm Shave 1@96d95b8870204ea08ce682f0e5915e80.jpg
      78.4 KB · Views: 202
    • 20190119_141654.jpg
      20190119_141654.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 195
    • 20190119_141622.jpg
      20190119_141622.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 196

SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Doesn't Remington make the VersaMax in a 3 gun configuration?

Versa Max Competition Tactical. No longer in the catalog.

Got mine for $1200 and appreciated all the extras already incorporated:
    - 4 chokes
    - +2 tube extension
    - Stock adjustments for length, cant and tilt provided
    - Fiber optic front sight and replacement dovetailed rear sight.
    - Oversized controls and large loading port

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-remington-versamax-competition-tactical-shotgun/
    https://blog.full30.com/remington-versa-max-competition-tactical-review/

It was nice to have an alternative. Too bad Remington stopped selling them.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Yes I did, plus I put that little thingy in from OR3gun.

To be honest, shaving the forearm is the last thing you need to do, but is the least scary. The most important and toughest thing to do is figure out how deep you want to cut into the receiver. It doesn't even have to be the same depth on both sides as it depends on if you are loading weak or strong hand.

Check out the cut on my Benelli - not nearly as deep on the loading port side as it is on the opposite side. Unfortunately, I switched from quad loading strong hand and started weak hand as it is much quicker for me.

I hadn't considered doing unequal cuts, I'll look more into that.

Do you have any more pics of the mossberg, especially the sides so I can see how far up into the receiver you cut?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I hadn't considered doing unequal cuts, I'll look more into that.

Do you have any more pics of the mossberg, especially the sides so I can see how far up into the receiver you cut?

I am sorry, but I do not have any side photos and I do not own the gun anymore. Just take a pencil and draw a line down the side of the receiver. Use that as a guide and do not cut any deeper than that. No need to get too aggressive at first. Just put it back together and try it. If it doesn't meet your fancy (and it won't), then draw another line and do the same thing over again.

One thing to be mindful of is the pin hole that the roll pin is insterted into to keep the cartridge/shell catch in place. You do NOT want to take away so much material that you hit that pin. I did that on my Benelli and now I can't get the pin out. You really do not need to go that deep at that point in the receiver, but I didn't realize that until after I had already done it.

This really is not all that hard, but it is certainly nerve wracking. Just go slow, and be gentle, sort of like you were with your first virgin. You can always go back for more if you treat her right.

Do you know if you plan to load weak or strong hand?

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    I am sorry, but I do not have any side photos and I do not own the gun anymore. Just take a pencil and draw a line down the side of the receiver. Use that as a guide and do not cut any deeper than that. No need to get too aggressive at first. Just put it back together and try it. If it doesn't meet your fancy (and it won't), then draw another line and do the same thing over again.

One thing to be mindful of is the pin hole that the roll pin is insterted into to keep the cartridge/shell catch in place. You do NOT want to take away so much material that you hit that pin. I did that on my Benelli and now I can't get the pin out. You really do not need to go that deep at that point in the receiver, but I didn't realize that until after I had already done it.

This really is not all that hard, but it is certainly nerve wracking. Just go slow, and be gentle, sort of like you were with your first virgin. You can always go back for more if you treat her right.

Do you know if you plan to load weak or strong hand?

Appreciate the advice.

Right now I'm looking at strong hand, I have been practicing Lena Miculek's method:

https://youtu.be/LHbfXlphbu0

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    How well does that work with the rest of your 3 gun gear (pistol and rifle mags) being already on the weak hand?

Not sure I understand the question. I am right handed, my mag pouches are all on my left hand side, my shotgun shell caddies are on the front, and my pistol holster is on the left. When I load weak hand, I hold the shotgun with my right hand and load it with my left (weak hand). The left side of my belt is not relevant for either weak or strong hand quad loads. All of that occurs on the right side of my body and only the hand loading changes.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Do yourself a favor and try week hand too. Most of the big boys have switched to this method because of economy of motion and shaving time. It really depends on how well you can manipulate a handful of shells with each hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=265o1AdkYjk

This, much easier / faster to quad load weak side being gravity helps you push the fist full of shells down right in front of you and your shell holders instead of sideways in front of your face. Belt gear shouldn't interfere, I just keep holding the grip, roll the shotgun and trap the stock under my arm.

FlokiBear

Oct 12, 2020
    My 940 showed up this past week, after many months of waiting. Took it home, completely disassembled it to clean and lube. I used it today for two rounds of Skeet using very light factory Fiocchi loads, not a single hiccup. Will try it again tomorrow with some of my reloads. Sure was a different feeling than my traditional over under for clay shooting but I still maintained my average score of 22 for both rounds. Can’t wait for the next local tactical shotgun match to use it for what it was intended for.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    My 940 showed up this past week, after many months of waiting. Took it home, completely disassembled it to clean and lube. I used it today for two rounds of Skeet using very light factory Fiocchi loads, not a single hiccup. Will try it again tomorrow with some of my reloads. Sure was a different feeling than my traditional over under for clay shooting but I still maintained my average score of 22 for both rounds. Can’t wait for the next local tactical shotgun match to use it for what it was intended for.

I shoot skeet regularly with my 930 and it does better than I can lol. I know it's not what the gun is properly designed for, but trigger time is trigger time.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Not sure I understand the question. I am right handed, my mag pouches are all on my left hand side, my shotgun shell caddies are on the front, and my pistol holster is on the left. When I load weak hand, I hold the shotgun with my right hand and load it with my left (weak hand). The left side of my belt is not relevant for either weak or strong hand quad loads. All of that occurs on the right side of my body and only the hand loading changes.

I guess my question was aimed more at where your shell caddies are and reaching across your body with the weak hand to get at them.

I don't have a ton of real estate on my gun belt, so I have my two caddies kicked over to the string side a bit, and at the belt buckle. I'll give weak hand loading a go and see what works though. Been using the Lena Miculek school of thought so far but definitely willing to experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom