• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I go to cabelas in gainsville all the time and they said that MD residents have to show two forms of ID before they can sell to a MD resident but otherwise would.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I go to cabelas in gainsville all the time and they said that MD residents have to show two forms of ID before they can sell to a MD resident but otherwise would.

What is the other ID beside driver license? They want HQL too? I'm just curious.

I bought a rifle in MD being a DE resident. The guy at the counter didn't know and yelled over to his co-worker "The guy has DE driver license. Can he purchase a rifle?". Apparently, I know more about the law than that guy.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I think that is VA law.

I bought a 10/22 at Greentop. They wanted to forms of photo ID.

I used my DL and non-res permit. They were amazed, as is seems that the res permit does not have a photo. And they had never seen a non-res.

HQL with photo would also have worked.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    If I were to see a rifle at a gun shop in another state that I wanted. Would I be able to just do the Nic’s check and buy it or would I need to have it shipped to a Maryland FFL?

Just FYI: Be prepared to provide a second form of ID/confirmation of MD residence! When I purchased my 91/30 from Cabela's a few years ago, I had to ship it to United in Rockville because they wanted a second form of ID—and they would NOT accept my HQL as proof. Not sure if it's a Virginia thing, but Clark Bros also asked for that last year; fortunately they accepted my car registration as proof.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Maryland annotated code states you can purchase a long gun or shotgun in adjoining states. Being PA, DE, VA, WV that are not regulated or exceed round capacity. All others would be a transfer from out of state FFL to in state FFL. VA has a different background process so they can purchase in Maryland but it needs to be transferred to a VA dealer, then once he or she is cleared they receive their purchase.

Hope that helps.

joecannoles

MDS Supporter
    Aug 11, 2013
    I just purchased a rifle in PA, and one a bit earlier in TX, no problem at all as a MD resident. Of course, both were legal to own in the great state of MD.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Maryland annotated code states you can purchase a long gun or shotgun in adjoining states. Being PA, DE, VA, WV that are not regulated or exceed round capacity. All others would be a transfer from out of state FFL to in state FFL. VA has a different background process so they can purchase in Maryland but it needs to be transferred to a VA dealer, then once he or she is cleared they receive their purchase.

Hope that helps.

There are no regulated long guns in MD. They are banned or not banned, period.

For rimfires with tubular magazines > 10rds you are good to go. Any other internal magazine >10rds is banned.
    If the magazine is detachable it does not matter what their capacity is because there are magazines <10rds or one can be manufactured

intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Not at Springfield Outfitter

Stopped at Springhill Outfitters on 95 on the way home Monday to check it out. They had a Stoeger OU I had been looking for and asked about purchasing and the guys working the counter said I would have to ship it home. Didn't ask if it was just a store policy or not.
    On a good note they had a fair amount of Federal 40 S$W for $30 a box as well as P-mags at $13.89 so it wasn't a wasted stop.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Hope that helps.

Actual wording please?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    There are no regulated long guns in MD. They are banned or not banned, period.

For rimfires with tubular magazines > 10rds you are good to go. Any other internal magazine >10rds is banned.
    If the magazine is detachable it does not matter what their capacity is because there are magazines <10rds or one can be manufactured

Actual wording please?
    Don't even need the actual wording.

Federal law trumps Maryland law, and the 'adjacent state' nonsense no longer applies.

As has been said, if you could buy it in Maryland, and whatever state you are in, and if you find an amicable FFL, you can buy it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Don't even need the actual wording.

Federal law trumps Maryland law, and the 'adjacent state' nonsense no longer applies.

As has been said, if you could buy it in Maryland, and whatever state you are in, and if you find an amicable FFL, you can buy it.

No, State law can be more prescriptive than Federal. But not less so.

Otherwise the whole 77r and waiting period would not be legal.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    No, State law can be more prescriptive than Federal. But not less so.

Otherwise the whole 77r and waiting period would not be legal.
    I have legally purchased a rifle in a State that does not physically border Maryland.

But since you're the smartest person who ever belonged to MDS, and have done everything any of us have done, only better, I've no doubt you'll gainsay this

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have legally purchased a rifle in a State that does not physically border Maryland.

But since you're the smartest person who ever belonged to MDS, and have done everything any of us have done, only better, I've no doubt you'll gainsay this

If the wording supports what the other poster said, you actually violated MD law when you did this. This why I asked for the wording, or the reference to the code. I just looked quickly, and the only thing I found was 5-137, which addresses the purchase of a regulated firearm by an MD resident out of state. And yes, the MD code still has this in it.

Federal law is typically not pre-emptive, it just sets the minimum standards.

Is anyone likely to find out? No. Is it likely that anything will happen to you? No.

But according to the posts on this, the MD law limits you to adjacent states.

I know that I think Indiana had the same limit, that they just fixes a few years ago. To make their law the same as Federal law.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Going to Chantilly this weekend. Looking for an AR10 in 762. Is this just a NICS, or do I need to transfer through an FFL in MD? If' they'll sell it to me with just the NICS I won't worry about the FFL.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Going to Chantilly this weekend. Looking for an AR10 in 762. Is this just a NICS, or do I need to transfer through an FFL in MD? If' they'll sell it to me with just the NICS I won't worry about the FFL.

NICS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County

You will need two forms of ID. This is Virginia law.

Purchasing a Firearm - Non-VA-Residents

Rifles and shotguns may be purchased from licensed firearms dealers by persons who are residents of other states upon the presentation of one photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the purchaser's state of residence and one other form of identification determined to be acceptable by the Department of Criminal Justice Services
    The following secondary forms of ID are acceptable:
    A current lease.
    Evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax.
    A current utility or telephone bill.
    A current voter registration card.
    A current bank check.
    A current passport (must include an address).
    A current automobile registration.
    A current hunting or fishing license

https://www.showmastersgunshows.com/va-purchase-requirements.html

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You will need two forms of ID. This is Virginia law.

Purchasing a Firearm - Non-VA-Residents

Rifles and shotguns may be purchased from licensed firearms dealers by persons who are residents of other states upon the presentation of one photo-identification form issued by a governmental agency of the purchaser's state of residence and one other form of identification determined to be acceptable by the Department of Criminal Justice Services
    The following secondary forms of ID are acceptable:
    A current lease.
    Evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax.
    A current utility or telephone bill.
    A current voter registration card.
    A current bank check.
    A current passport (must include an address).
    A current automobile registration.
    A current hunting or fishing license

https://www.showmastersgunshows.com/va-purchase-requirements.html

I haven't bought any guns in VA, but nice to know I could use my hunting/fishing license which I always carry with me (or run to my car to grab my car's registration).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom