Handgun Hunting Glock 40 or 44mag revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All depends upon your actual hand . * For Me *

Super 'Hawk w/ squared trigger gaurd severely abuses my knuckle .

Bisley is relatively comfortable for Really Serious recoil , medium pointing qualities .

XR3RED (regular Blackhawk ) has best natural pointing qualities , medium recoil handling .

Where is crossover point re recoil vs pointing ? Somewhere between standard .45Colt and SAAMI Generic 240 .44mag , depending upon person .

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    44 mag , Ruger Super Redhawk.I put a dot on it because if I wanted or needed very quick target acquisition figured it would be better than a scope. Expanding its application so to speak . Would like a scope but I can do more with the dot.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    You don’t want a heavy recoiling single afction to roll up in your hand. The 44 Magnum is about the limit for that shape grip frame. Many get their middle finger knuckle busted against the trigger guard when shooting magnum power loads and the stock grips. The ugly old Pachmyers make kind of a hybrid Bisley/plow handle grip shape to the grip and the rubber adheres to your hand. All the bigger than 44 Magnum revolvers use a Bisley type grip frame to prevent the roll up from beating the shooters hands.

I’ve tried a good number of wood grips on my Super Blackhawk but always went back to tbe Pachmyers...because they work. I am a shooter first so the Pachmyers have been a permanent part of that revolver for a long time.

^^^^^ This.

Back in the early/mid '80s, when I was shooting IHMSA at SCSC, I wanted a .44 magnum to shoot in "Production Revolver".

Lew Dillon at Accokeek Sports, and one of the guys that worked there (and SCSC member) loaned me their .44 wheelguns to try.

One was a "Dakota" .44 in Stainless. (Looked like the Colt Peacemaker in stainless.)
    The other was a Stainless Super Blackhawk in .44.

I found out quickly, that my hands were not made for shooting single action revolvers!!!!!!

Both sported Pachmayr grips, but, these "hog legs" still rolled in my hands, using the owners' ammo!!

I wound up with a Dan Wesson 44VH-8 and bought a VH-4 barrel/shroud assembly for it.

Here's what it looks like, with the VH-4 assembly.
    (I took a 265 lb wild boar with this DW, at 7 feet. One shot.)

Attachments

• DW44VH-4-1.jpg
      DW44VH-4-1.jpg
      53.5 KB · Views: 175

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    You don’t want a heavy recoiling single afction to roll up in your hand. The 44 Magnum is about the limit for that shape grip frame. Many get their middle finger knuckle busted against the trigger guard when shooting magnum power loads and the stock grips. The ugly old Pachmyers make kind of a hybrid Bisley/plow handle grip shape to the grip and the rubber adheres to your hand. All the bigger than 44 Magnum revolvers use a Bisley type grip frame to prevent the roll up from beating the shooters hands.

I’ve tried a good number of wood grips on my Super Blackhawk but always went back to tbe Pachmyers...because they work. I am a shooter first so the Pachmyers have been a permanent part of that revolver for a long time.

Same here and switched back quick....
    All my Blackhawks old and new have pachmyers, full house loads, old Keith
    style heavy SWC bullets most definitely, or some MiHec heavy penta points.
    The Lew Horton 29 4" has Pach's, pretty snappy.

The TC Herretts have the old style over sized wood grips, same with the JDJ
    rounds, believe they are called "Herrett Style" not sure, they fit the hand nicely,
    just hold on :cool::cool: Like my hand cannons

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom